This should teach him....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
    Yeah, I’m past tolerating that crap and my dad is too old to deal with it. In fact he’s in the hospital right now bc he got ran over by a 1500 pound brangus this morning. She came around the corner and he couldn’t get out of the way so he now has 4 broken ribs, two small hernias, and a partial collapse of his upper left lung: yeah, I’m over him dealing with stupid animals. Worse part is it wasn’t his cow. He was working cows with a friend of his and was at the wrong place at the wrong time and isn’t as fast getting out of the way as he used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Prayers for Pops recovery. I see hamburger in this bulls future.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      In his defense, that fence was never gonna hold a bull that wanted out.
      When it comes to cattle I'm only an expert at cooking and eating them. That being said, I could knock that fence down with a wet fart.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
        In his defense, that fence was never gonna hold a dog/cat/squirrel/rabbit/infant human/goldfish that wanted out.
        fify.

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post

I swear I’m going to grandpa on this one.... my grandfather had a way of getting his bull home when I was a kid. Took his cab-less tractor, a pocket full of shot shells, and a single shot 410. I swear it was a modern day rooster cogburn. He’d cuss, drive with one hand and empty a round across the bulls back with the other. Stop, reload, catch back up to the bull and repeat.... if the bull went into the thick stuff, he went in on his Appaloosa with rains in one hand and a 22 revolver in the other cussing and emptying the cylinder full of rat shot. Man it was a hoot as a kid bc I was in the middle of it.

This looks exactly like my place looking from my cousins place. Even the brush pushing on the left! He had to put up electric fence to stop his from coming over. Problem is he only has a few head, 7-10 and I have 30 plus ladies so mine have more cycling than his.

Comment

I doubt that electric fence is gonna stop him.

Comment

Might as well load him and take him to the sale. Let him be somebody else problem. My dad had a couple like that over the years. That electric fence will probably just make him mad.

Comment

Once they figure out they can get across a fence an electric fence usually won't stop them. the only way to stop them is to get rid of them or build a 10' pipe fence with horse panel. Neighbors had a brahma bull that was always on our place once a month. He finally got tired of me calling and said to shoot him and he and his boys would come haul him off. Shot that sucker right between the eyes with a .270 and dropped him like a bad habit. Neighbor and his boys came with tractor and a truck load of coolers and butchered him right there in the pasture. Made for some good coyote hunting for a few nights.

Comment

we all know the lure of the ladies is strong. that bull has a stash of little blue pills and a healthy desire to use them

Comment

First off, well done on getting some electric fence! I love mine. I use a 1.2 Joule charger and after a week of getting the snot zapped out of them, all my cows/steers/bulls/calves won't come within 2 feet of the wire.

Here's a pic of a few of mine. You can see the electric rope fence behind them.

Just make sure you use plenty of ground rods. That's the magic with electric fence. I use two 6 foot rods spaced out 10' and wired together. 3 rods would be even better.

Secondly, my grandfather taught me a lesson long ago about cattle that I still use to this day: Life is too short to deal with stupid cattle.

If I have any that won't stay home, won't respect a fence, or are just plain mean, they get the boot either to the sale barn or to freezer camp.

Good luck with the wandering bull and the first time he gets zapped, I promise you'll laugh a lot harder than you think you will.

Comment

I would suggest that when you get the electric fence put up, put some flagging on it for him to see it, get on a horse and move him slowly into the fence. It is better to teach them that way and not just let him find out on his own. sometimes when the cows hit an electric fence they will lurch forward and tear down the fence by mistake....if that happens you will see and make sure you repair it before he goes on through it.....that one or two jolts will make him remember what that fence does and why the flags are marking it he will stay away from it.....

Comment

place the electric wire several feet from net fence also

Comment

Some good advice. I still wish Dad would have let me build the fence the way I wanted to. But he insisted on net wire....

Comment

A friend of mine had cross bread pitbull that he used to work stubborn cattle.

One day a neighbor called him to help get a bull back in a pasture and off the highway median. He asked the man was he sure he wanted the dog put on this registered bull.....the guy insisted.

So my friend lowered the tailgate and gave the command. The dog leaped out of the truck and ran full bore toward the bull......grabbing it by the nose pulling the head down and flipping him on the ground. Then just proceeded to tear the ever loving !@#$ out of that bull. The bull, bleeding like a stuck pig, tore arse back into the pasture and never got out again.

Comment

Did this exact same thing with a hay pen at the house. Talked little brother into making sure it was working..... That thing will knock the snot out of you. I know because Karma got me and when i was hooking the gap back up it was a little loose and got my leg. Hit me so hard I went to the ground.

Comment

I’m in the sell the bull crowd. Not enough time in life to be chasing a wild cow around.

Comment

Working...
                                X