THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fil

He's doing exceptionally good and should have no problems getting back to normal.

We are thinking about coming weekend of the 17th. Work is getting in the way though, so I will have wait to see.

Check your pm you should have something to look at.

Comment

hey guys, so is there a hunting map of SASP area and if so is what is the number to the headquarters or location of headquarters to get one from. Definitely want to talk to the guys up there if so.
      Getting ready for opening morning tomorrow at Lone Oak myself...looking forward to SASP hunt in a few weeks!

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter2008 View Post
        hey guys, so is there a hunting map of SASP area and if so is what is the number to the headquarters or location of headquarters to get one from. Definitely want to talk to the guys up there if so.
        Getting ready for opening morning tomorrow at Lone Oak myself...looking forward to SASP hunt in a few weeks!
        I found the map for SASP under "Public Hunting Lands" on the TPWD website. It says only people that pay for a permit will get a copy but it was right there for all to see on the net?

SASP HQ phone number is 325 949 4757. The guy in charge of hunting in the parks name is Bill or Bob I believe and he is very informative on any questions you may have on certain areas.

Someone should start an official thread on SASP since it keeps coming up on here

Comment

Originally posted by stonesmokey View Post
          He's doing exceptionally good and should have no problems getting back to normal.

We are thinking about coming weekend of the 17th. Work is getting in the way though, so I will have wait to see.

Check your pm you should have something to look at.
          Stoney

Good to hear that. Hope he does well. Looking forward to ya coming back again. I'm just buffing out all the scratches in my truck today

PS....nothing in PM?

Comment

bowman,
            Thanks...I have that map already...didn't know if there was a different map or not. I will give the guy a call. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

OK Ive seen this same report all over the board so here goes another one.......OPENING DAY we saw zip, nadda, nothing. not evenan armadillo even after all the deer and deersign, trail cam pics etc. Did someone tip off the deer we were coming? This combined with pretty low fly over reports are turning what we hoped for a good year to not so good news, sorry

Comment

Hello all. name is Daniel. Just stumbled across this site when i was searching for some info on the Twin Buttes area. Been hunting a few different areas for years.

Got a couple questions. First off, San Angelo Bowman, check your pm. i'd like to meet up with you sometime!

Second, i recently had my small feeder and tree stands "stolen" by the city. never had any incidents of this before. they have set up some kind of quote "task force" and are going into the woods cutting locks and chains on tree stands and feeders, and taking it all down. so if anyone has anything missing, drop me a message and i'll tell you how to get your stuff back! they are considering deer stands "littering" and are confiscating them. funny... there was a torn up mattress 20 yds from where i had mine, and they left that there.

anyways, i'm always looking for people to hunt with... drop me a pm sometime!

Comment

Man thats crazy, but not a surprise. They way they do things around here never ceases to amaze. Was yoour tree stand a commercially made stand or lumber nailed up in the tree? I'm just wondering if there was a miss communication between the Lake Police and the Lake maintenance people that actually go out and do the "cleaning". Who did ya talk to?

Comment

sorry it took so long to respond. out of town this weekend.

My stand, as well as all the others that were removed, were commercially made ones, with a chain and lock on them. i had tree pegs screwed into the tree to climb, and those were removed as well. my buddy had his removed as well, but he used 2x4's screwed to a tree to climb up to it. he didn't put the 2x4's there. they were there before him. they even removed the 2x4's.

i haven't been able to get ahold of ANYONE yet. one of the other victims, however, got ahold of Randy Harris, the marshall for the Lake Police. he basically told him they are illegal, but could only site the ordinance that says it's illegal to dispose of trash out there. Man, that really irks me. it's not trash, and is clearly marked as not abandoned in some cases. (like mine). they'll walk right by the REAL trash, but take down our hunting stands. He mentioned that and Mr. Harris said that the deer equipment was just phase 1, and they will be cleaning up actual trash at a later time. That response makes no sense to me.

Comment

SAB,

i guess i can't PM you... don't have enough posts yet. here's what i was wonderin...

i was looking to have someone show me and a buddy around the area of the buttes that you hunt. i'm sick of getting screwed with by kids, idiot hunters, and the lake patrol now stealing my feeder.

looking for somewhere a bit more secluded. i read that you hunt area 1. i don't think i've ever been out there. I tried to find it this weekend, and i believe i did, but didn't go far in because i wasn't sure. i turned just a bit past the cop training center. there was a gate, but it was open. went in a bit but man, it was muddy as all hell. nearly got stuck in my jeep.

one of these days would you mind showing me and my buddy around? i've got a mule we could pack into...

so far my bowhunting season has been completely ruined... i really need to find a spot to kill somethin!

Comment

me and a couple guys are heading up to SASP for bow hunting tomorrow. Looking forward to it...hope we see some deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
                          SAB,

i guess i can't PM you... don't have enough posts yet. here's what i was wonderin...

i was looking to have someone show me and a buddy around the area of the buttes that you hunt. i'm sick of getting screwed with by kids, idiot hunters, and the lake patrol now stealing my feeder.

looking for somewhere a bit more secluded. i read that you hunt area 1. i don't think i've ever been out there. I tried to find it this weekend, and i believe i did, but didn't go far in because i wasn't sure. i turned just a bit past the cop training center. there was a gate, but it was open. went in a bit but man, it was muddy as all hell. nearly got stuck in my jeep.

one of these days would you mind showing me and my buddy around? i've got a mule we could pack into...

so far my bowhunting season has been completely ruined... i really need to find a spot to kill somethin!
                          I know of spots in area 4 and 6 that arent hardly hunted at all because you need a MULE or atv to go in there without tearing up the paint on your truck. I also know an area in Unit 3 that is along the river with huge Pecans and oaks but its pretty far in.

I'm staying away from Units 1 & 2. Thats where they are concentrating their efforts to patrol this year due to the new Elk herd thats now protected. Not that we are doing anything wrongby any means but I just dont want to be around all the traffic. That gate you went in IS in fact the entrance to Unit 1 and the road actually is really good once ya get right there along the bottom of the dam and around the end of it. where it gets really bad is when ya follow the fence line down to the old RR track bed and head south the the back of the unit where the high fence begins. I got stuck for awhile with a TBHer a few weeks ago a week after it rained and it looked pretty dry! some roads get VERY rutted back in there but there is good deer too.

Do you live in San Angelo? Gimmee a call if ya want at 325 212 3251. If I dont answer leave a message cause Im either in my blind or working. I can get texts for free even while in roaming out at the lake so that will work too.

Comment

SAB,

I'll be giving you a ring later on in the week. For now, i may hunt one more time out at area 2, but i'm not bringing any of my stuff out there to set up.

I do have a MULE that we can use if you want to show me around out there sometime. I think i know my way around areas 2, part of 3, and 4, but a lot of the other areas i've never even been to. area 7?? is that the part that is by the huge overflow where the jeep trails are? is there actually any deer out there? area 4 seems promising, but last year i saw a TON of people out there. i set up by some scrapes last year and had no less than 15 people drive within 200 yds of me.

anyways, i've got your number. i'll give you a call by friday... maybe we can take a drive out there saturday or something?

Comment

Area 2 is probably one of the worst for constant traffic especially on weekends. Area 7 by spillway nobody hunts because the 4x4 crowd has it pretty well taken over and there is a major backroad shortcut people take that goes thru there as well. The rest I'll tell ya by phone. Look forward to it.

Rob

Comment

With all the "Issues" lately concerning TBR we have as of today formed the Concho Valley Hunters Advocacy to open dialouge with local authorities, TPWD, and the City of San Angelo. All those with concerns may email me with details and we will try our best to sort out the issues at hand here. We are actively seeking members for help and support of the newly formed group and if you live or hunt here I strongly encourage you to get involved to protect our public hunting lands and rights.

Comment

Working...
                                X