2017 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by czechgrubworm View Post
    Anyone have ants bothering their blooms on their okra? Noticed this yesterday. Was going to just put some seven dust around the bases, but it was suppose to rain this morning. I waited, but shall do soon. Anyone else experience this? Angie

They are most likely after aphids. Can blast them off with water pressure.

My cantaloupe is getting after it! Thanks to the TBHr that recommended this variety,
    Just hoping they taste as good as they look.

Comment

Cody: Why the black tarp under them? I am just trying to learn myself.

Comment

Anyone have ants bothering their blooms on their okra? Noticed this yesterday. Was going to just put some seven dust around the bases, but it was suppose to rain this morning. I waited, but shall do soon. Anyone else experience this? Angie

I've had them every year. I don't think they bother the flowers or okra itself.

Comment

Cody: Why the black tarp under them? I am just trying to learn myself.

Just to keep them off the bare ground and also keep weeds from growing at same time.

Comment

What is the typical life span of a tomatoe plant? I planted them in late February and they have produced numerous tomatoes, but they look like hell right now, any one have any ideas?

Comment

If you leave them in, they may produce again in the fall. I used to get a second crop in the fall back when I grew them 20 something years ago (or was it 30 something?). And my current neighbors (of 28 years) used to put them up in their shed each winter. Then replant in the spring.

Comment

Okra is comin' on!! Had a small cutting on Wednesday of last week... This was Sunday afternoon's cutting... 2 water buckets full, and by Tuesday, there's gonna be that much more...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6806.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	24498986Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6805.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	24498987

We do have a problem with the zucchini plants... They're healthy and full of blooms one day, then the next day all wilted and just die... I'm thinking borer's or something. I cut the stalk/stem of one to try to find any insect or caterpillar... Only thing I found was a mushy, rotting stem and this one had these tiny little "balls" of egg like things... Anyone know what the problem is? Only have about 4 plants left. Fortunately, they have all bared very well, but don't want the "bug" to spread to other plants and cannot seem to identify it...
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6803.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	24498988Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6804.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	24498989

Comment

That's only 1/2 the okra we cut... Gave one bucket to my cattle guy... Oh yea, we also got a bucket of purple hull peas... hope to shell them and have our first mess from this years garden... still eatin' on what we put up last year... They're good, but nothing beats fresh shelled purple hull peas n boiled okra with some bacon fat in for good measure.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    Okra is comin' on!! Had a small cutting on Wednesday of last week... This was Sunday afternoon's cutting... 2 water buckets full, and by Tuesday, there's gonna be that much more...

[ATTACH]859109[/ATTACH][ATTACH]859110[/ATTACH]

We do have a problem with the zucchini plants... They're healthy and full of blooms one day, then the next day all wilted and just die... I'm thinking borer's or something. I cut the stalk/stem of one to try to find any insect or caterpillar... Only thing I found was a mushy, rotting stem and this one had these tiny little "balls" of egg like things... Anyone know what the problem is? Only have about 4 plants left. Fortunately, they have all bared very well, but don't want the "bug" to spread to other plants and cannot seem to identify it...
                    [ATTACH]859111[/ATTACH][ATTACH]859112[/ATTACH]
                    Vine borers. Pull them immediately and burn them!

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                      Vine borers. Pull them immediately and burn them!
                      Was afraid you were going to say that... Will they get into cantaloupes can cukes too? Got them nearby...

Comment

What does the insect/larvae look like?

Comment

Went out to the greenhouse yesterday and noticed worm are eating up my tomato leaves like crazy. We pruned back a lot and sprayed with Sevin to find out it probably wasnt the best choice. Going to get some BT today and spray tomorrow

Comment

The squash vine borers are inside the stem starting near the ground and eating there way up the stem killing the plant. You can cut the vine open and kill them, they look similar to a grub with a bigger head than tail. The only control I know is the floating row cover but you have to apply it when you first plant the squash.

Comment

I've been doing some reading and you-tubin' on those dang squash vine borers!! Those suckers are devistating and that's for sure what's attacking our zucchini and squash plants. I know I've already messed up once by just leaving the plants in the garden... will remove them and get me some BT on the way home this evening and start to inject the stems with it. It seems to be a pretty effective treatment along with doing the grubectomy on the stems of infected, but not yet dead plants... Will update...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                Was afraid you were going to say that... Will they get into cantaloupes can cukes too? Got them nearby...
                                I've never had them get into/affect the cukes or melons. Pretty cool looking insect if they weren't so dang destructive

Comment

Working...
                                X