No announcement yet.

Treestand Accident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fell 21 feet 2 years ago and caught my left butt cheek on the side of a ladder stick on the way down. Landed on my feet by God's grace. 11 stitches inside and 12 outside and I walked to the truck. I got very lucky. I took it one step further though. I sold all my tree stands and only hunt out of pop ups or ladder stands and wear a harness when I am in those.

Comment

I can’t imagine putting up one of these safety lines at every possible set. Do you think it would make since to try to hook your harness on the next highest step each time you begin to climb up it? This is some pretty scary stuff and just wearing a harness once you’re up in the stand is obviously not the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Just bought me a gorilla harness vest, at 61, hunting alone, trying to reduce the odds.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
          I can’t imagine putting up one of these safety lines at every possible set. Do you think it would make since to try to hook your harness on the next highest step each time you begin to climb up it? This is some pretty scary stuff and just wearing a harness once you’re up in the stand is obviously not the answer.

Those safety lines make it easy to climb up and down. I am not sure how many sets you have but you can make a bunch of them instead of buying. My friend has them at all set ups.

The problem with tying to the step is what if the step slips or lets go? The main issue i have seen is the straps of the ladder or stand getting dry rot and finding out the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
            Those safety lines make it easy to climb up and down. I am not sure how many sets you have but you can make a bunch of them instead of buying. My friend has them at all set ups.

The problem with tying to the step is what if the step slips or lets go? The main issue i have seen is the straps of the ladder or stand getting dry rot and finding out the hard way.
            Pretty hard to fall outa climber.
            Just take a extension cord, waterhose or welding lead up with you them sobs will hang up on something before you hit the ground [emoji3]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Been there myself. I was taking down a ladder stand and somehow since it had been put up the stand had twisted some. When I was unstrapping the buckle to the strap around the tree it sprung back to position faster than I had a chance to react. I fell 15 feet landed on a rock on my hip. Lucky for me I was on the edge of a shelf and rolled down hill after the impact. I was banged up pretty good but never went to the doctor. Should have. After that I have a real fondness from hunting from the ground. Hope he heals up and fully recovers it could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CastAndBlast View Post
                  Unexpectedly lost my grandfather 5 years ago at a very healthy 71 years of age by him falling out of a 12’ ladder stand. Basically lost a grandmother too since she can not recover from his death.

We all rely on harnesses now when getting elevated in a tree. Unfortunately, we all learned our lesson the hard way.
                  Man, I hate to hear this abut your Grandfather and Grandmother. I can't imagine...

Best to team Drury

Comment

I "trusted" a branch when I had to "unhitch/rehitch" under a limb that was too big to cut-- ironically was coming to down to get the 30ft lifeline that I should've brought up originally. Anyway, I'm just abut to re-clasp the carabiner on the webbing loop and snap goes the limb! Out of my daze moments later after smacking my face against the tree, I realize the greater pain is the LW pointed step sticking into my side/right short rib. I had slack in the lineman's belt so I dropped a foot and then all 200 of me went full into one of those things. Always wondered about that before--those things look dangerous. I'm thinking... just pull away and stick your hand into the wound...as providence would have it did not penetrate the double layer of clothes I had on--maybe some excess fat helped too. I still have a "dent" in the skin after 5 years. Literally looks like a small chunk of me is in my stomach somewhere. So then I wondered how did I not fall 16 ft and d-I-e? I look down and see that the carabiner clearly did not miss the loop, and it did not make it around the loop, but literally clasped onto the 1/2" of loop webbing itself and held! That, friends, was a miracle. Abrasions, bruised ribs, aggravated herniated disc. All better now. Still have that little rotten branch in my garage as a reminder. Branches are like farts...never trust them!

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post

This. I have had a lot more close calls climbing up or down than i ever have had while sitting.

Does everyone use a 25'-50' yoyo (slang for fall protection that engages if you unwind too fast) to climb up and down??

Comment

Made the investment 2 seasons ago. You can buy a 3 pack of safety lines for $85 on Amazon. An additional $30 per stand is pretty insignificant. It's pretty dumb to not have these on every time you leave the ground on any kind of elevated stand.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                          Never wear one but willing to accept the consequences for not. However I never hunt from lock on stands anymore and I'm pretty careful about securing my ladder stands.
                          With all due respect, is it laziness, stubbornness, selfishness or ignorance? Which is it? I'm honestly curious. I could understand at a young age where we all didn't know better but I cant wrap my head around the fact that a grown man would take a chance in leaving their family with that burden. I personally just like moving around up there care free and knowing im locked in.

Comment

good friend i work with here had a fall last year. the loc on he was in was prolly 15yrs old, the cables to the platform broke, and then his harness snapped on the way down. hes a real big dude, 6,4' 280. he said the harness did slow him some, still broke 3 ribs and his shoulder.

just got a 150$ health incentive gift card to amazon...................guess what im looking up now!

Comment

Rolled those dice

I rolled the dice for years hunting 25-30' up with no harness. Now that I have kids, I have a line on every one of my stands. Between Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas that's 8-10 different sets and $250 well spent. Spend the money guys, it's filling the feeder one time and your life on the line.

Comment

Sorry to hear about Drury and others that have taken a fall. I stay grounded. Years ago I use to get in tri pods, no more.

I know I am missing seeing more animals, scent control etc. I just like the earth beneath me. Just not worth the risk for me.

Comment

Working...
                                X