Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sendit View Post
    Yes it is true.

Any change will change the harmonics of a barrel. It can changed with a particular load or in this case the addition of a muzzle brake. It adds weight to the muzzle which will change the harmonics. Effects of harmonics can be positive, neutral or negative. You will see the effects usually in group size or POI.

Brakes do not change POI... that is proven time and time again. Maybe on a pencil barrel factory non-free-floated junker, but not on a correctly built rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I will not hunt with a gun that has a muzzle brake. I typically hunt suppressed but when going lightweight it is a pencil barrel with no brake. I am typically listening to Sirius in one ear and remember to throw the other bud in before I shoot. However, I will not pass on a quick shot without both ear buds. If the brake is outside of the blind it will ring your head, if you pull back enough that any port is not outside it will put you on your knees.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
        Not true.....

Yes, it is true. Any length, or weight change will impact harmonics.

Comment

Originally posted by TexanDuke View Post
          So the blast literally makes plugs mandatory?

from a 20 inch barrel would you take a shot if required without plugs in?

I had an emergency trip to an ENT doctor after shooting my 300 ultra mag a couple of times with no hearing protection on a hunt in Alaska. I would NOT do that again.

Comment

I have never had or even shot a rifle with a brake on it till I got my 28 Nosler. If your not familiar with 28 Nosler it's a 404 jefferys case necked down to 7mm. In other words it's a freekin cannon. I don't like recoil so I was really worried about shooting the 28 especially since mine is super light, carbon fiber barrel and stock. But it has a radial brake. I was absolutely amazed at the recoil even shooting 180 - 195 grain bullets. It literally kicks like my sons 243. Yea there is definitely more muzzle blast but with the amount of recoil reduction I could care less. Total game changer and I love it. When hunting I keep a pair of these ear plugs around my neck and they pop into my ears within a second.
            Attached Files

Comment

Shot a deer earlier this year with my AR10 with a lantac dragon comp.

Loved it. No recoil, watched the deer hit the ground through the scope. I carried ear muffs with me, and definitely used them.

Comment

last few responses are swaying me, seems like the addition of some plugs around the neck is an even trade off for lower recoil, especially on a hog hunt or similar where there are multiple shot opportunities

Comment

I wouldn't have one on a hunting rifle. I don't want to have to worry about plugs all the time, or when you are driving along and shoot out the window of your truck right quick and don't have time to put in plugs,

Comment

last few responses are swaying me, seems like the addition of some plugs around the neck is an even trade off for lower recoil, especially on a hog hunt or similar where there are multiple shot opportunities

I have no problem using and hunting with ear plugs. Have taken a few deer, multiple hogs, and a bear the past 12 months with using them.
                    There is also the option of “game ear” or such devices. Electronic ear plugs that are like hearing aids and enhance hearing, but cancel out loud decibels from shots.
                    I just haven’t spent the money on these yet, but will probably be my next bigger purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                      Yes, it is true. Any length, or weight change will impact harmonics.

There is the school of thought that if point of impact is not impacted/changed, then neither can be harmonics. But to each his own. Harmonics and the theories surrounding such is snake oil IMHO, especially if POI is not changed at all, but to each his own. I can respectfully agree to disagree. I know what makes my rigs shoot sub MOA, and I won’t speak against another man who does the same with his.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                        You cant wear earplugs while you hunt.
                        I wear electronic muffs that have hearing enhancement every time I hunt with a gun. They work good

Comment

I took a 7mag with a ported muzzle break on my first elk hunt. Gun was a sweet shooter and had light recoil. I didn’t have ear plugs. Killed an elk and didn’t notice the excess noise.
                          The next year my hunting partner incorrectly ranged a mule deer buck for me. After the 4th shot, my head felt like a gong, my ears were ringing, and I couldn’t hear my buddy talk to me when he was sitting next to me. It was miserable.

I do like the lack of recoil.

Comment

TxBrass- Not sure how you would add any weight to a barrel and it not change the harmonics of it. I'm not talking about cheap sporter guns either. I am talking about long range guns. How could you add anything with weight to the end of a barrel and it not have some type of effect on the harmonics of the barrel? I would suggest you add anything to a gun make sure you work a load for that gun. You may get lucky and be able to use the same load but I would not recommend screwing and unscrewing anything on a barrel and not verifying your zero and group. Also length would be a factor. I have never pushed a chrono and it be the same with and without a suppressor. never tried with a brake.

Comment

So I guess my major question to those who have them is, what style is best? The apa models look great. Any other suggestions?

Comment

So I guess my major question to those who have them is, what style is best? The apa models look great. Any other suggestions?
                                APA, 419, Masterpiece Arms ars all great on the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X