Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some reading material for a noob...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some reading material for a noob...

I am going to give this trad. thing a try again. I am currently siting in Africa (hence this post) and have some time to read.

I currently have a 68" self bow that I have shot some, but when I get home I have a long bow to go pick up.

What I am looking for is a site or sites to read up that will help out a beginner to this form of Bow hunting.

So far I have of course here, and stickbow.com

Any more that you pro's would recommend?

ttt

Comment

Hittin' 'em like Howard Hill is a good book.

Comment

http://tradgang.com is a good site.

Also check out:

Traditional gear sites:

Kustom King Traditional Archery, your kingdom for all things traditional archery with a wide selection fo bow and arrow traditional archery supplies, archery gear, and archery equipment. Traditional bows and arrows for sale.

Learned a lot about shooting and general traditional stuff from:
        The Traditional Bowhunters Handbook (T.J. Conrads)
        Instinctive Shooting I and II (G. Fred Asbell)

All the best,
        Glenn

Comment

tradgang is a good site.
          "Masters of the Barebow" DVD's

Comment

become the arrow by byron furgeson

Comment

G. Fred Asbel has a couple of books out. They didn't really help with my style, but a lot of people say that they help them.

Comment

Rick Welch who is a champion IBO shooter from Arkansas has some good DVDs out. I went to his 1x1 class in Arkansas last Jan. and was very impressed with the results.
                The very best archery instruction given by a world renown archery.

Comment

Thatnks for the info.

Comment

As a beginner myself, I can't recommend more the book titled, "Shooting the Stickbow", by Anthony Camera. This book has everything. Arrow charts and weights, proper shooting form and techniques with pics and images, explanation of archer's paradox, how to make your own arrows, etc. It is by far the best book for trad beginners in my opinion.

I've also read "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson, and thought it provides an excellent source on the mental and psychogical aspect of shooting.

I also found the 3 volume DVD set of "Masters of the Barebow" to be agreat tutorial on shooting styles and trad info from many experts.

Lastly, I've also found the free classical books online at archerylibrary.com to be an informative and enjoyable read.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Online...
                      Stickbow's History page.

Stickbow's Shooting-styles page.

The Leatherwall.

In addition to reading a lot here & on Tradgang, I found these links interesting & helpful when I first started shooting trad.

Books...
                      "Hunting with Bow" & "The Witchery of Archery" - Will Thompson

and

"Hunting with the Bow & Arrow" - Saxton Pope

...are great historical books if you like the "romance" of traditional shooting.

Videos are better for shooting techniques for me...

Of the ones mentioned, I liked the "Masters of the Bare Bow" series best. I don't think any two people shoot sticks the EXACT same way. So, I like to hear how several people shoot well and what works for them and take from each what will help me.

G. Fred's videos are also very informative on HIS way of shooting and it works well for many people...I did benefit from watching them although I did not completely drink the Koolaid.
                      Last edited by tinman; 11-28-2010, 08:32 PM. Reason: O.C.D.

Comment

Working...
                      X