Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 Select Baseball

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
    Good news from doc.. mri showed no ucl tear..just really irritated the muscle on the growth plate it attaches to.
    Can do light practice with no throwing , along with PT now..and start throwing increments in about 3 weeks..
    Happy Baller

Hell yes!

Warm up and stretch properly young man, start short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup.. got to "workout" with his team again last night.. just caught and practiced blocks.. no throwing.
      He was extremely happy to be back in gear .. and his teammates were super excited for him too which was cooler than anything else.
      Going to miss playing in first few tournaments but we're in no hurry.
      Lots of rest for the arm, PT and throwing lessons in his future.

Comment

Yup.. got to "workout" with his team again last night.. just caught and practiced blocks.. no throwing.
        He was extremely happy to be back in gear .. and his teammates were super excited for him too which was cooler than anything else.
        Going to miss playing in first few tournaments but we're in no hurry.
        Lots of rest for the arm, PT and throwing lessons in his future.
        What was the cause of his injury?

Comment

Throwing over hand.

Seriously though.. the "cause" can be many variables...(doc speaking)

Mechanics, poor warmup, overuse (which is ironically an overused term), and/or throwing wrong one time, continuing to throw while hurt, etc... but the common denominator in all the variables is simply put..not enough rest between outings.
          Throwing all the time is simply bad for the ucl.. let alone doing it incorrectly.

In Tans case ..he mightve hurt it throwing sidearm to second on a run..(the one time we saw him shake his arm) but then hid it, continued to play through it, and we as parents (me) and coaches didnt notice till he finally couldnt hide it anymore and fatigued it enough he had to compensate.
          Hard enough for a parent tell if kid has hurt himself, is simply tired, or just wants a attention let alone ask a kid that wants to play more than he wants to breath to diagnose himself with something that gets himself sat on the bench.
          Everone is about pitch counts, but forget the catcher throws as much as a pitcher does and sometimes harder, but doesnt always have the luxury of setting up proper mechanics before releasing the ball.

We do now.. and ill be monitoring his throwing heavily from this point forward.

Pretty obtuse answer i know.. but its the best we've got.
          We're better equipped now with how he'll be playing, practicing and preparing- thats for sure.

Comment

Throwing over hand.

Seriously though.. the "cause" can be many variables...(doc speaking)

Mechanics, poor warmup, overuse (which is ironically an overused term), and/or throwing wrong one time, continuing to throw while hurt, etc... but the common denominator in all the variables is simply put..not enough rest between outings.
            Throwing all the time is simply bad for the ucl.. let alone doing it incorrectly.

In Tans case ..he mightve hurt it throwing sidearm to second on a run..(the one time we saw him shake his arm) but then hid it, continued to play through it, and we as parents (me) and coaches didnt notice till he finally couldnt hide it anymore and fatigued it enough he had to compensate.
            Hard enough for a parent tell if kid has hurt himself, is simply tired, or just wants a attention let alone ask a kid that wants to play more than he wants to breath to diagnose himself with something that gets himself sat on the bench.
            Everone is about pitch counts, but forget the catcher throws as much as a pitcher does and sometimes harder, but doesnt always have the luxury of setting up proper mechanics before releasing the ball.

We do now.. and ill be monitoring his throwing heavily from this point forward.

Pretty obtuse answer i know.. but its the best we've got.
            We're better equipped now with how he'll be playing, practicing and preparing- thats for sure.
            I will never try and tell parents what to do with their player, but after 37+ years of playing and coaching I would sit the season out and go back in the fall. As a coach I would not let him return back this season and just rehab the spring season. I know parents don't want to hear that b/c they want to play, but it's best for the player in the long run. He is very young and if he is having problems already something is not right for sure, yes we can go to doctors and start paying more attention to what they are doing, but they need to rehab the proper way and take time to heal up. He is not getting recruited tomorrow or next year don't rush him back to soon a few weeks is not enough trust me I have been there done that. Sit the season out and get the proper training and go at it in the fall. Again hope he gets better soon and good luck to you guys!

Comment

Curious on bats if any of your players use wood bats?

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                We use wood bats in the cages. I think it builds up their arm strength because the wood is heavier and builds up bat speed as well. We will play a few wood bat tournaments in 13U this year the boys like it for some reason LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  Both my boys use -10 bats for games but we mix in -5 or -8 wood bats during lessons or practice at the house. Same reasons above plus wood is smaller diameter than their USSSA game bats.

Comment

Same here we mix it up. However, my sons Louisville slugger solo 618 snapped at the higher part of the grip. He has a Marruci ap5 Wood that is 30” with drop 5. He likes it & tends to get better connection & drives the ball farther.

Comment

Season is getting close!
                      Last edited by ShockValue; 02-02-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Are there new bat rules other than USSSA 1.15 these days?

I saw something about new "USA" bat rules.

Asking because I have 8 or 10 laying around that have the USSSA 1.15 stamp.

If there is a new standard I guess I just need to chunk them.

Comment

Anyone have opinions on a good balanced bat in -8 or -5 for USSSA?

Comment

Originally posted by js4242 View Post
                            Anyone have opinions on a good balanced bat in -8 or -5 for USSSA?
                            Marucci Cat8. Also saw there they were releasing the Cat6 again, I'd look into that, almost every kid we knew used that Cat6 a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                              Are there new bat rules other than USSSA 1.15 these days?

I saw something about new "USA" bat rules.

Asking because I have 8 or 10 laying around that have the USSSA 1.15 stamp.

If there is a new standard I guess I just need to chunk them.
                              This seems like a reasonable question - lots of folks buying bats out there this time of year.

I have a HOT bat or 2 I'd be happy to give away, but I won't bother if it's no longer legal.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                                This seems like a reasonable question - lots of folks buying bats out there this time of year.

I have a HOT bat or 2 I'd be happy to give away, but I won't bother if it's no longer legal.
                                Do you have a 29/19 you want to sell? Bout to pull the trigger on a new bat for my son.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X