weight tubes or weight in general

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weight tubes or weight in general

Tell me mo?? I am thinking of inserting some CE weight tubes in the nock area to bring my weight up on my trad arrows for better penetration.

Do I need to offset it at the front? or just place the weight in the back and be done. Help me out

You don't want weight at the nock. Weight forward.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

What is your current FOC, and how much weight do you want to add?

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        What is your current FOC, and how much weight do you want to add?

Rick
        Truly not sure. I am wanting to add about 75 grains. I am shooting a 500 spine arrow and a 125 grain broadhead. Trying to get up to 600 total weight.

Ffont of center I am not sure of as I have not done that.

Comment

You can buy 75 grain brass inserts from Three Rivers

Comment

Need brand and model of arrow. Length of arrow from nock throat to front of insert. Fetching type. Also your bow info will help Rick. Your draw length as well.

Comment

(Preface - This is assuming you have a good tune/flying arrow to begin with, and are happy with it, except the weight.)

The weight tubes come in 3, 5, & 8 gpi.

I highly recommend using a tube weight, that will get close to what you want at "full length" inside the shaft (whatever that is).

Trust me, trying to put just pieces in there will eventually wind up being a PITA down the road, and probably sooner than later.

Depending on the length of your arrows of course, but the 3 gpi will probably get very close to your desired addition of 75gr.

Keep this in mind however - contrary to popular belief, adding the weight tubes will cause your arrow to shoot/act stiffer ( a heavier shaft of the "same spine & diameter" of that of a lighter weight shaft WILL shoot dynamically stiffer). I know there will be those who will argue against that, but I know what I'm talking about. (I'll explain it later if needed).

Once you add the tubes, you may need to add a little point weight to soften the dynamic spine of the shaft to get back to your current tune, so keep that in mind as a combination of (tube weight/point weight) for the overall weight addition.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
                Truly not sure. I am wanting to add about 75 grains. I am shooting a 500 spine arrow and a 125 grain broadhead. Trying to get up to 600 total weight.

Ffont of center I am not sure of as I have not done that.
                Just curious:

1) What draw weight are you at right now?
                2) How well tuned are your current arrows?

I have used the GT insert weight adapters on my CE heritage 150s to bring the weight up for adjusting spine... which in effect has raised my FOC and my overall gpp (grains per pound draw weight.) I'm sitting at 540gr/11gpp so I'm pretty happy with where I am at.

I would, if I were in your position, look at finding a solution that doesn't involve special weight tubes (as it is, I am tired of having to buy those stinking adapters every time I have to build arrows) and just focus on a head/insert combination that gives you a heavier setup with the weight up front. The only time that seems to make sense to put in full length weights or double shaft is when you are hunting out of a really heavy boy looking to down an elephant or something (which has come up here from time to time )

The reason I asked that above is because if you want to get from 525 to 600, you might just consider going from 125gr heads to 200gr heads. For me, I just standardized on 175gr heads and that is one way I get an extra 50-75gr over guys who just like to use their 100gr fp/bh from their compound setups.

Comment

In the future I would suggest get gold tip trad arrows and getting the nock and point inserts that you can screw the the PDF or PFD weights into for tuning. Bareshaft tune the arrows, I assure you will find the heaviest and fastest arrow you can shoot out of your bow. I have a 43 pound recurve and I shoot 470 grain arrows at 175 fps at my 27 inch draw. The bow is whisper quiet. I bought the gold tip trads the 1535, the 3555 weighed over 600 grains I didn't like the arc.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Agree the gold tip fact weights are great ( easy) to work with, easy to add or remove any time you change your mind, or want to experiment. The weight tubes may blow your nock out if not cut the exact length, took me awhile it figure out why I was loosing nocks.
                    Last edited by critter69; 04-16-2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

I've got these installed in my arras...alls I know is they are heavier and will penetrate more (im shooting a 42# longbow)...you want to make sure they are cut to perfect length as to not shift when you shoot 'em...you buy them buy weight, 5grain, 8grain per inch...calculate your weight when you cut them to fit your setup...they do not affect the spine of the arrow either in case you're wondering....

Comment

I use the good tip weights in my ball eagle and warrior arrows as well.

Comment

Roy from what we discussed your arrows are way weak. You'll need to go with a 400 spine.

Comment

I have been using the weight tubes for 10 or 15 years.
                            Used weedeater cord before that.
                            Only problem I have is the nocks popping off If I hit something hard

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              Roy from what we discussed your arrows are way weak. You'll need to go with a 400 spine.

wait......................a lighter arrow?? Ok now im really confused

Comment

Working...
                              X