No announcement yet.

2016 Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After several years with zero luck on the draws, I have decided to take my money elsewhere. CO over the counter. Success odds are lower for the OTC hunts, but at least the opportunity is there. 100's of dollars, and multiple seasons have been lost trying to draw a "high odd's" archery doe permit's in Texas (while also trying to the harder draws).

Something needs to change with the current system.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane924 View Post
      After several years with zero luck on the draws, I have decided to take my money elsewhere. CO over the counter. Success odds are lower for the OTC hunts, but at least the opportunity is there. 100's of dollars, and multiple seasons have been lost trying to draw a "high odd's" archery doe permit's in Texas (while also trying to the harder draws).

Something needs to change with the current system.
      I'm in the same boat as you, been putting in for a decade and a half still never drawn buck rifle hunt and strongly considering taking my money elsewhere this year and for the foreseeable future until they FIX the system and make preference point more valuable or something. Points aren't going anywhere anyway if you sit out applying for awhile, checked my dads status in the system and he hasn't put in for a draw hunt since 1999 and still has all his points. The year to year trend in fewer hunts also continues, they did add the national refuge hunts, but the rest of the areas are offering fewer permits compared to last year. Fewer permits + more applications with the online system = terrible odds.

Comment

Unfortunately a true preference point system will never work in Texas. Point creep would cause the amount of points needed to draw to go up every year. There are just to few hunts to do true preference points. The best that could probably happen would be go back to one app per category and square the loyalty points like Nevada does.

Comment

[QUOTE=bossbowman;11467820] they did add the national refuge hunts, but the rest of the areas are offering fewer permits compared to last year. QUOTE]

and "Yikes..they omitted the number of applications received for last year."

How do y'all know that? I can't get access to the 2016 hunt catalog online at TPWD. Is that information available somewhere else or have you seen the new draw hunt catalog?

Comment

2016 Draw Hunts

I think I'm done applying for Texas hunts. Systems flawed, odds of getting drawn are horrible, and most of the hunts have bad reviews anyway. I'd rather take my chances fighting the crowds in Nebraska otc if I don't draw else where.

Comment

I drew Matador Archery Deer the last year it was paper apps. 2012 season. That was the first year I had ever put in and lucked out and drew that hunt. I like the idea of being able to put in for all hunts in a category but with the points system it doesn't work in your favor the way it is. But I can see what some of you guys are talking about with just being able to apply in one area per category. Better odds that way. I will continue to put in for certain hunts as the 3 dollar fee is to cheap not to and you never know when you could get drawn.

Comment

Question. When applying for a youth hunt....

Does my son have to log in and do a separate order for his hunts?
                Do I register for it thru my account and add him to the hunt?
                Do I register for it thru my account and it is assumed that I am bringing a youth who has no account?

Comment

I called TPWD this morning. They say the draw hunt catalog will be online Thursday, July 7.

Comment

Originally posted by 30.06 View Post
                    I called TPWD this morning. They say the draw hunt catalog will be online Thursday, July 7.
                    Nice! Thanks for the heads up. I can put it on my calendar now to make sure I dont schedule any work while at work...

Comment

This pretty much sums up Public land draw results

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Hoping to draw another gator tag. And have a lot of PP in other categories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Draw system is up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Catalogs online now

Comment

Ha, I just checked around 9:30. You guys were on it.

Comment

One of the things I missed about the catalog was thumbing through it, making notes, highlighting, etc. I called my local UPS store and they will print it out for me for about $12 out the door. FWIW. (Would have cost me more in gas to drive up to work and secretly do there.)

Comment

Working...
                                X