No announcement yet.

Deer was shot under 13"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope the lesson learned was of a good nature.

Comment

wow

Comment

Originally posted by Howard View Post
        The first couple bucks I shot, I was a teenager and hunting alone. They were not 13" but might as well been 200" racks as excited as I was and just as proud! First couple yrs ihunted and got hooked I never saw a 13 " wide buck.... Would I still be hunting deer today had I not shot those bucks and got so hooked- probably not! I personally think there should be no antler restrictions for a child! Otherwise I support it! Hunting small low deer places and then telling a kid that finally sees a nice buck he ain't big enough is insulting to the hunting tradition/heritage
        Couldn't agree more. My first was a spike, my dad told me to wait in the stand till he got back before I got out. He said as he walked up to the stand I looked like a cat squirrel bouncin off the walls, when he opened the door, I just about blew his clothes off when I passed him. I ran all the way to the deer, it may as well have been a Booner.

This is just another way for the state and timber companys to raise the profit margin on deer in certain parts of the state to what it "should" be. There is green in the eyes of those collecting lease fees. They know if they can replicate what is going on in South Texas all over the state, then everyone (except for those who could give a crap about antlers) wins. Keep this in mind in a few years when your deer lease in East Texas that you used to pay $500/year for, all of the sudden costs $1000/year and eventually $1500/year. Why can't people be happy with a "trophy" relative to their area, rather than a "trophy" measured in an arbitrary amount of inches. I am sorry to say that now that the horn hungry agenda has caught on, there is no turning back, we will all be affected, whether we like or not.

OPEN YOUR MOUTH DAMIT, I KNOW WHATS GOOD FOR YOU BETTER THAN YOU DO!!!!!

BTW.. I hunt for horns, but horns relative to my area!

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
          Well it happened. a ex-inlaw took hi son on youth weekend hunting and he shot a 12 3/4" heavy horned 8pt. The Warden was not happy and searched there whole truck including duffel bags. They were detained for almost 2 hrs and if it had not been a youth the warden said there would have been a $850 fine given and the deer taken. So to all you guys that think as long as it's close it will be ok, it won't be..
          Yep this is going to be a problem, because other hunters are having to pass these deer, especially bow hunters since we see them at close range and they are not outside the ears. Some hunters also think that well that's a mature deer by body size /age so that is close enough for me, or "meets the spirit of the law"

The 12 3/4" bucks are going to be the hardest ones for those hunters to pass on. They know they are not outside their ears but they cannot believe they are not legal.

When you start seeing and passing 12 1/2" deer on your land every year and your hopes are real high for next year, but guess what, they are not going to show back up. They will die during gun season. But next year you will again see some nice 12 1/2" ( that were 10" last year) bucks that you will pass on and the sad cycle begins again.

RD

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            may this statement follow you the rest of your days
            Wow, Artos. Your resentment for anyone who wants the AR law upheld is scary! From where does that anger come?

On what other laws can we fudge? DUI? "But ossifer, I only blew a 0.10. Hic."

And then there are the pedophiles? Let's get rid of the age of consent laws, shall we? None of you guys would support that, for obvious reasons.

Some guys posted that antler restrictions are insulting to the hunting heritage. I disagree. Apparently I am in a tiny minority on this thread who think that whacking an illegal buck is an insult to our hunting heritage.

This thread is very revealing that Hunter Ethics is in short supply around here.

For all you guys who don't know how to gauge a 13 inch spread, I recommend that you impose an additional restriction on yourselves... Only shoot at deer that have what appears to be a 24 inch spread. The result, hopefully, will be pretty low odds that you kill or wound an illegal buck.

BTW, for you guys who don't know whether the law calls for a minimum 13" spread, or for a spread outside the ears, it's 13 inches that matters. If you shoot a mutant buck with 12 foot long ears, and his spread is 13 inches, you are legal. If you shoot a buck that has a 12.999999999999 inch spread that was born with no ears, or that has ears spreading only an inch from the skull, for example, your deer is illegal.

Do we want to be ethical hunters? Then let's follow the law and not let our emotions rule our hunts. Let's also demand that our fellow hunters follow the law.

Guys & gals, about 9% of Americans hunt; about 9% of Americans are ANTIHUNTERS. The huge majority of Americans are not against hunting, but they are not die-hards like we are, either. It's this huge majority who will determine whether our great, wholesome tradition will live on or die. We need these folks on our side when they go to the polls to vote. It's coming guys... the Antis are slowly eroding our right to hunt. We must police our own, or we will lose in the long run.

I am glad the GW did not cite the child. Hopefully that child will become a spokesman for hunter ethics while practicing what he preaches forevermore. Let us please stop mocking the AR law, and those we pay to enforce the game & fish laws. There is so much sarcasm on this thread, putting off a lot more heat than light.

I'd like to see more posts like, "I oppose the AR law, but I'm going to obey it because I respect our sport, and I am an ethical hunter."

Let us teach succeeding generations to respect the law instead of teaching them to formulate excuses for breaking the law. Any youths reading this thread are going to get the wrong impression of how life works. GWs are not interlopers raining on our parade. They are our allies and friends. Let us convince ourselves of that and start living it. There is nothing like the freedom that comes from rigidly obeying all game and fish laws to the best of our abilities. We can't know every law, and we therefore are all at risk for committing a violation. Nevertheless, the freedom I get from considering Hunter Ethics EVERYTHING, is wonderful. Obeying the game and fish laws makes our sports absolutely thrilling to me.

Comment

Just curious how many of you "line walkers" ever drive over the speed limit........

Comment

Originally posted by Death from Above View Post
                Just curious how many of you "line walkers" ever drive over the speed limit........
                "rules is rules"

lighten up bh...I just spend too much time with gw & other leo's. Some use discretion as did this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  "rules is rules"

lighten up bh...I just spend too much time with gw & other leo's. Some use discretion as did this one.
                  I like it when I get a "pass" at their discretion

Comment

well since you ask, I do occasionally drive over the speed limit, and know that if i get caught, I can receive a citation for breaking the law. I do not expect any LEO to "cut me some slack" because I am just going to the grocery store or what not. I am very grateful if they do, but just because the length of the trip is small does not mean they have to. Kinda like just because the kid shot it makes it different. He/She should have been taught better, and if the deer do not meet the minimum requirements set forth by the state, they will have to wait, or hunt a different deer that does.

Comment

it already does, thus no game violations....
                      holy smokes.....NEVER.....not once in your life have you ever committed a game violation....then you didn't hunt much as a kid, bird hunt, and you don't fish at all

you've never gut hooked a 9" bass and returned it to the lake knowing it was going to die.....that's a violation....even my buddies that are GW's say that the fisherman is between a rock and a hard place on that one.....illegal if you keep the fish and illegal if you put it back....everyone throws them back taking the chance they don't get caught.....still laws are laws

Comment

I look forward to a few years down the road when people won't be chomping at the bit to shoot a 2.5 year old buck with a 13" spread. If they can just show a little patience and restraint for two years they will be rewarded. Patience and restraint... heck of lesson. We only regret things when we feel like we do not know the value of our sacrifice.
                        Last edited by Bobcat; 11-04-2009, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Nope not ever once in my life have I got a game violation. Dont fish much now but have hutned and fished a lot since i was young. what exactly are you implying?? Never gut hooked a 9 inch fish, never shot an illegal deer, never hunted on a property I didnt have permission to be on, or fished any water that I wasnt supposed to. Neve shot at a bird from an improved roadway... the list goes on.

Comment

wow....good for you....I know I've accidently doubled on birds when I only needed one.....all I'm saying is accidents happen in the field......not implying road hunting, trespassing, or anything of that nature......just hard to believe you've never had an accident like 1 bird over the limit because of an accidental double or gut hooking a fish that wasn't legal size......all I'm saying is if you worm fish enough it WILL happen and if you bird hunt enough it WILL happen......there's also plenty of "accidents" that happen on trophy ranches in South Texas with guides that have guided for years down there

Carry on folks

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                              I heard she looked like a super model...lol.
                              This is worthless w/o pics!!!

Comment

I got a ticket in los fresnos on the way to SPI going 31 in a 30 back in high school. Almost got my noggin thumped for asking if he had a quota to meet....but hey, rules is rules, right?? Size of tires and variation in spedometers deserve no discretion.

texag...I have never received a game citation either but do remember messing up on the back log when it first came out, have miscounted a dove limit, and bet I've had some shrinkage on trout and redfish at some point and know I have forgotten my wallet at camp and had to tag a deer a tad late. I do remember my Dad getting a ticket for me at Falcon one time for a life vest deal but don't remember the exact details....age change or something??

Just cuz I never got a ticket does not mean I am perfect....gw buddy has a great story on a duck double with a mutual friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X