X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mvp.

Comment

From Aaron Judge:

M-V-P!!! Nobody more deserving than you!! Congrats on an unforgettable 2017!! @JoseAltuve27
      Very classy of him.

Comment

What a season. World Series and the MVP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Strom on Beltran and his contributions to the pitching staff.

Strom: Beltran made my job easier

Astros pitching coach Brent Strom recalls the feeling of being on the field for a World Series championship

By Joe Trezza / MLB.com | November 14th, 2017
          Word around the baseball world following Carlos Beltran's retirement Monday, after 20 magnificent seasons, is that Beltran will make a great manager some day.

Industry insiders cite Beltran's baseball acumen and his ability to communicate with young players, who often revere him, as two of his strengths. In this vein, Astros pitching coach Brent Strom recalled a story Tuesday on MLB Network Radio that spoke to these attributes.

Strom has known Beltran since the former outfielder's days as a young player in Kansas City, where Strom took one of his first pitching-coach gigs. The two were reunited this past season in Houston, where Beltran finished his playing career with a World Series championship.

Beltran was so respected by the younger Astros that "the pitchers would listen to him more than they would me," Strom said, specifically when it came to telegraphing pitches.
          Beltran has long been known as one of the game's best at recognizing when pitchers are tipping their pitches. It's part of why he enjoyed such a successful career at the plate, and why teammates love having him in the dugout. This World Series was no different.

"He wore me out," Strom said, laughing. "He wore me out telling me how my pitchers are tipping. It finally got to the point where I said, 'I know. I know.' He really helped me a great deal with Lance McCullers Jr. and Chris Devenski and everybody. It's really frustrating sitting there, watching your pitcher, and he's whispering in my ear that a changeup is coming. And there it was. Or a curveball is coming, and there it was."

Astros pitching coach Brent Strom recalls getting help from Carlos Beltran on pitchers tipping
          Strom credited Beltran with helping turn around the performance of Houston's bullpen, which struggled for some of the series but also came up huge in spots -- especially in Game 3 and Game 7.
          "I was just hoping the other team wasn't picking it up," Strom said about his pitchers tipping. "[Beltran] really helped me a great deal in that aspect. He actually forced me, and his credibility is such that the pitchers would listen to him more than they would me. We made some appropriate changes, hopefully in time, to curtail the tipping. There is so much of it going on because pitchers are creatures of habit. We have a tendency to go through the routine we go through and we don't even realize we're doing it. He was great. This was a leader. Between him and Brian McCann, it was really what this team needed.
          "We were good the last couple of years," Strom said. "But we didn't have anybody like McCann or Beltran come in and guide the young guys."
          Joe Trezza is a reporter for MLB.com based in New York. Follow him on Twitter at @joetrezz. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Comment

Very glad to hear Tuve got his MVP...future HOF'er. I wouldn't have believed it a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              Very glad to hear Tuve got his MVP...future HOF'er. I wouldn't have believed it a few years ago.
              I was thinking about this today and his list of accomplishments is probably 90% HOF worthy now. He may go down as one of the all time greats if he can duplicate the past 4 years......the next 4 years.

Comment

Awesome year for the Astros and Altuve, World Champions 2017.

Lets Keep It!

World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017World Champions 2017

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                  I was thinking about this today and his list of accomplishments is probably 90% HOF worthy now. He may go down as one of the all time greats if he can duplicate the past 4 years......the next 4 years.
                  Wonder if he will end up being better than Biggio. Good problem to have

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                    According to the stats, he is about half way there.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      According to the stats, he is about half way there.
                      Which stats are you referring to?

Comment

Spend the money on pitching, we have bats. IMO

Comment

We are in NYC having a blast and wearing our astros gear. Getting a lot of conversation and smack talking (and a few congrats) from yankees fans.

Comment

Chew, go to a NYC deli and for breakfast order a Taylor pork roll, fried egg and cheese on a hard roll. Your life (and arteries) will never be the same!

Comment

Did you find that little piece of heaven in The Big City?

Comment

Working...
                              X