No announcement yet.

Guest Mistake Stories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many years ago I had some doe hunters out at a place I guided on. About 9 pm I thought I heard gunshots. Several gunshots.

I didn't give it much thought until the landowner/outfitter calls me and chews me from one end to the other. One of our hunters observed a mulie buck stuck in the fence on his way out of the ranch.

He being the good person decided to take it upon himself to take it out of its misery. Several problems though. It was night time and most importantly it was NOT our property. Easment rights is all we had on that part of the road. Neighbor was 2 kinds of ******.

I advised him to call the GW. Common sense is not so common anymore.

Comment

Just spent a ridiculous amount of time reading this whole thread. There are a lot of idiots out there, and a lot of selfish people who have no issue taking advantage of the generosity of others.

Comment

So many of these stories sound very familiar. We used to take a lot of people hunting for about 15 years, we saw all types of crazy crap. We had many people show up, talking about how many deer they had killed, how they were very ethical hunters ect. Heard those stories many times.

What they did not know, is we always cleaned out blinds after someone hunted in a blind, even if someone did not hunt in a blind, we still checked them regularly, because after taking many people hunting on this one ranch, that was way off of a 14 mile long dirt county road. You had to drive through five other large ranches to get to the place, it was surrounded by a 22,000 ac. and a 18,000 ac. ranch. But after having taken many people hunting out there, we started seeing signs of someone hunting in blinds we had not put anyone in. So we made it a point to check all the blinds regularly. We eventually determined for sure, someone was coming out and hunting during the week, we were not there. Eventually we caught one guy, he lied his *** off. He got his *** chewed severely and got to meet the game warden and Sherriff. We found he added a lock to our chain and the chains on each of the other gates you had to go through, to get to the ranch.

But of the guys that we actually took out to hunt, many times we would have guys tell us, they never saw anything. After we had heard a shot or shots coming from the direction of the blind they were in. We would have guys all over the ranch. Each person would report back as to where they heard shots come from. We all knew where every blind was. So when someone shot, each of us knew most likely which blind the shot came from. But then we would all get together and compare notes and were then able to determine for sure which blind the shots came from. After the person in that blind would claim they had not seen anything. We would question them a little, then take them back to camp. Then we would go back to the blind they were in, check inside and 95% of the time, there would be one or more empty cases, of the same caliber the guy brought, that we had just had in the blind. So then we would go out looking for signs of a deer, that had been shot or shot at. Most of the time, we would find the spot where the deer had been standing, when it was shot or shot at. Then we would look for blood, hair or other signs it may have been hit. Then we would track it as far as we could. I would bet 70% of the time, we would find a dead deer within 100 yards of where the deer was shot. So we would gut the deer, load it in the truck and back to camp. Then get the guy out side, take him to the truck and show him his deer. 90% of the time, they would still claim, they had never fired a shot, some would get seriously ****** at us. Some would just swear up and down they never shot. A few would eventually admit they shot the deer. Some would admit they shot at a deer, but swear they did not hit the deer, likely they really had no clue.

Once we showed them their deer, we would load their gear up in their truck with their deer, tag their deer for them, with their tag and send them packing and make it very clear they were not welcome back. Some were understanding they made a mistake, others would be fuming mad. We did not tolerate any BS, we sent them down the road and made it clear they had better never show back up. The guy who did show back up and started poaching was one who did get highly ****** about getting kicked off of the place.

Yes, we had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow one morning, the same morning on the ranch next door, they had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow.

Many years later, I took my buddy hunting, his wife and brother in law. On that ranch, the game biologist, told us to shoot something like 37 doe the first year. We were only able to get about five people to shoot a doe. The second year, the game biologist told us to shoot 67 doe. We really pushed to get people to shoot doe. But they would shoot a buck and then claim they had no room in their freezer for any more deer. These same people would come out claiming they just were there to meat hunt, that they did not care if they shot a buck or doe, but then we could not get them to shoot a doe. We almost got to the point of either killing a doe and handing it to them or telling them they could only shoot doe or go home. But I never got the ok to do either.

So I take my buddy, his wife and brother in law out to hunt. Well the brother in law, said he wanted to shoot a buck, he wanted a big trophy buck. I told him that was not a option. he got ******. Well later when I took him to a blind and dropped him off, he wanted to make sure there were some big bucks in the area. I again made it clear, he was not allowed to shoot a buck under any circumstance. He got ****** again, then said he was going to shoot a buck. I made it clear his *** would be in a world of trouble if he did. At that point he pulled a knife on me. Then told me, I was going to let him shoot a big buck. I told him, he could put his knife away and take his *** home or I would introduce him to my 44 mag. He did not back down for a while. This was a difficult situation. His sister was my best friend's wife. Then his wife, was a woman, that was in my high school class. His sister was standing right there, when things got to the point, where I thought I was likely going to have to shoot him. He finally put the knife away. I took him back to camp and sent him home.

That was the last season we took people hunting, we had way too many problems those last two seasons.

Comment

Something about those dang Brothers in Law! Just crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
            Something about those dang Brothers in Law! Just crazy!
            brother-in-laws are the devil. My wife has two brothers that are banned from ever setting foot on my property again.

Comment

I guess I’m kinda lucky! I have two brother-in-laws that won’t kill a fly. Don’t have to worry about them hunting

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                So many of these stories sound very familiar. We used to take a lot of people hunting for about 15 years, we saw all types of crazy crap. We had many people show up, talking about how many deer they had killed, how they were very ethical hunters ect. Heard those stories many times.

What they did not know, is we always cleaned out blinds after someone hunted in a blind, even if someone did not hunt in a blind, we still checked them regularly, because after taking many people hunting on this one ranch, that was way off of a 14 mile long dirt county road. You had to drive through five other large ranches to get to the place, it was surrounded by a 22,000 ac. and a 18,000 ac. ranch. But after having taken many people hunting out there, we started seeing signs of someone hunting in blinds we had not put anyone in. So we made it a point to check all the blinds regularly. We eventually determined for sure, someone was coming out and hunting during the week, we were not there. Eventually we caught one guy, he lied his *** off. He got his *** chewed severely and got to meet the game warden and Sherriff. We found he added a lock to our chain and the chains on each of the other gates you had to go through, to get to the ranch.

But of the guys that we actually took out to hunt, many times we would have guys tell us, they never saw anything. After we had heard a shot or shots coming from the direction of the blind they were in. We would have guys all over the ranch. Each person would report back as to where they heard shots come from. We all knew where every blind was. So when someone shot, each of us knew most likely which blind the shot came from. But then we would all get together and compare notes and were then able to determine for sure which blind the shots came from. After the person in that blind would claim they had not seen anything. We would question them a little, then take them back to camp. Then we would go back to the blind they were in, check inside and 95% of the time, there would be one or more empty cases, of the same caliber the guy brought, that we had just had in the blind. So then we would go out looking for signs of a deer, that had been shot or shot at. Most of the time, we would find the spot where the deer had been standing, when it was shot or shot at. Then we would look for blood, hair or other signs it may have been hit. Then we would track it as far as we could. I would bet 70% of the time, we would find a dead deer within 100 yards of where the deer was shot. So we would gut the deer, load it in the truck and back to camp. Then get the guy out side, take him to the truck and show him his deer. 90% of the time, they would still claim, they had never fired a shot, some would get seriously ****** at us. Some would just swear up and down they never shot. A few would eventually admit they shot the deer. Some would admit they shot at a deer, but swear they did not hit the deer, likely they really had no clue.

Once we showed them their deer, we would load their gear up in their truck with their deer, tag their deer for them, with their tag and send them packing and make it very clear they were not welcome back. Some were understanding they made a mistake, others would be fuming mad. We did not tolerate any BS, we sent them down the road and made it clear they had better never show back up. The guy who did show back up and started poaching was one who did get highly ****** about getting kicked off of the place.

Yes, we had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow one morning, the same morning on the ranch next door, they had a guy from Dallas shoot a cow.

Many years later, I took my buddy hunting, his wife and brother in law. On that ranch, the game biologist, told us to shoot something like 37 doe the first year. We were only able to get about five people to shoot a doe. The second year, the game biologist told us to shoot 67 doe. We really pushed to get people to shoot doe. But they would shoot a buck and then claim they had no room in their freezer for any more deer. These same people would come out claiming they just were there to meat hunt, that they did not care if they shot a buck or doe, but then we could not get them to shoot a doe. We almost got to the point of either killing a doe and handing it to them or telling them they could only shoot doe or go home. But I never got the ok to do either.

So I take my buddy, his wife and brother in law out to hunt. Well the brother in law, said he wanted to shoot a buck, he wanted a big trophy buck. I told him that was not a option. he got ******. Well later when I took him to a blind and dropped him off, he wanted to make sure there were some big bucks in the area. I again made it clear, he was not allowed to shoot a buck under any circumstance. He got ****** again, then said he was going to shoot a buck. I made it clear his *** would be in a world of trouble if he did. At that point he pulled a knife on me. Then told me, I was going to let him shoot a big buck. I told him, he could put his knife away and take his *** home or I would introduce him to my 44 mag. He did not back down for a while. This was a difficult situation. His sister was my best friend's wife. Then his wife, was a woman, that was in my high school class. His sister was standing right there, when things got to the point, where I thought I was likely going to have to shoot him. He finally put the knife away. I took him back to camp and sent him home.

That was the last season we took people hunting, we had way too many problems those last two seasons.
                Dang dude!!

Comment

Winner

The scene from Indiana Jones is playing in my mind right now.

Comment

If I were invited to help thin the doe herd, I would gladly shoot as many as you wanted me too. Can't believe the nerve of some people.

Comment

These stories always amaze me. Where do these people come from and why do you allow them to hunt on their own? It takes about 5 minutes to get a feel for someone’s experience level. I take kids that are very good at judging what a mature deer looks like. I cannot imagine a guest purposely shooting something they were told not to. Those are the kind of people that can get you hurt. Honest mistakes can happen but I have no desire to be around anyone that can’t follow simple rules. I did have a guy show up for a hunt with a 7mag and nothing but 270 shells for it. Also had a new guy on a south Texas lease that wounded multiple bucks with his new rifle. When I asked to shoot it, he said the gun shop put the scope on and sighted it in for him.

Comment

My inlaws have a pretty good story in this category.

So my FIL invites his brother to come hunt their place down south. Pretty big piece of property that my FIL is on with 1 other person, so each person has plenty of tags to hand out. Being that there are not many members on the place the rules are very straight forward and easy to follow. If your a guest and you see a deer you can't live without, just say so and we'll see if we can make it happen! They had 3 real "Rules". The one major rule was that you DO NOT shoot a deer out of a truck under any circumstances! The second rule was that guest do not ride around by themselves without my FIL or one of his kids.

They had been on the place for 5 years at the time and they had befriended a buck named Billy the first year as a yearling 8 pt and he had kept coming to the camp for the next 4 years. You could call him and he'd run up to the truck. You could hand feed him and all that good stuff. But he was a 5 year old this year and he was on the prowl, and you never knew where he was going to show up. This deer is a typical 10 with split brows, scores in the mid to high 140s at this point. So the third major rule was that Billy is OFF LIMITS!

My wife went down to the ranch before me on Thanksgiving due to work, and I got a phone call as soon as she got there telling me I may not want to come down there because tensions were HIGH. Turns out FIL's brother took it upon himself to take his truck to ride around as everyone else napped and shot Billy.. Then had the nerve to come back to camp to wake everyone up to get them to help him load him up! He just said he shot a big 10. They didn't know it was Billy until they walked up to him. FIL was livid, they told him to kick rocks, and I personally haven't seen that brother sense then! Everyone knew Billy was off limits until he died naturally, he wasn't supposed to be in a truck by himself, and he broke the cardinal rule of not shooting a deer out of the truck. On a place with only 3 real rules to break he broke them all at once!

Comment

simple fix to all of it - no guest allowed on the lease or in a stand without the paid member with them. We also limit the number of guest allowed - works well for us

Comment

Originally posted by scissorhands View Post
                            this video cracks me up.

http://youtu.be/CmnFLk7Jlp8
                            lmfao

Comment

Originally posted by Deathrow Jethro View Post
                              If I were invited to help thin the doe herd, I would gladly shoot as many as you wanted me too. Can't believe the nerve of some people.
                              No kidding! I wish someone would invite me out to kill a bunch of does 😂 My wife and kids love venison almost as much as me, we never have enough. I guess selfish people can't comprehend their good fortune

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                                lmfao
                                That one is funny as heck, but waz also staged/fake.

Guns have only two enemies: rust and politicians!

Comment

Working...
                                X