Questions on rattling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on rattling

I have tried deer **** on wicks, from spray cans and it does not help pull them in. I have actually had hogs and deer run off from it. I know a lot of people say they use deer pee and the big buck came in on a string right to it. I'm sure it works for some people in some areas. Every situation is going to be different. Want to try rattling. I know nothing about rattling. Can you rattle in thick stuff? I mean where you may can only see between 20-50 yards in a thicket. I hunt from 15' ladder stands and from pop-ups. Can I rattle from a ladder stand and from inside a popup? From inside a blind would you stick the horns out and rattle or just rattle inside the blind? Can you rattle mornings and afternoons? Thanks for any advice?

I've tried all that stuff too at least once. Best trick I've found is get the wind right and just hunt.

Comment

I use a rattle bag from a ladder stand and have from a pop up. Yes stick it out the window while rattling.
      But, I only have luck when there is a lot of evidence of the rut. Same with doe pee.
      If there is no doubt the rut is in full swing you will scare deer away with pee and I rattling does not do much good. I have had best results with a good grunt.

Comment

Originally posted by nimrodajh View Post
        I've tried all that stuff too at least once. Best trick I've found is get the wind right and just hunt.
        I agree. It seems like it is best just to try to be as scent free as possible and try to sneak in and out without being detected. Don't try to add anything to the area that may spook them. I believe deer know the difference between real deer **** and fake deer **** from a can or bottle.

Comment

I've had some success rattling in the past. I always prefer to do it from an area where I can see better and a longer range. Even when I can see a good ways they always seem to just appear fairly close. If you could only see 20-50yrd they will be right in your lap before you know it.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
            I use a rattle bag from a ladder stand and have from a pop up. Yes stick it out the window while rattling.
            But, I only have luck when there is a lot of evidence of the rut. Same with doe pee.
            If there is no doubt the rut is in full swing you will scare deer away with pee and I rattling does not do much good. I have had best results with a good grunt.
            Kirby,
            Do you only grunt if you see one and try to pull him toward you? I am still trying the vanilla. Hasn't worked yet. Honestly, I'm starting to think a lot of the stuff that works other places doesn't work on Ft Hood because the pressure is so high and everyone is using that stuff.

Comment

I have rattled with some success. Both from the ground and in a tripod. I have not rattled in a blind or a popup. I don't think that would sound natural but I am not for sure on that. From my experience you don't have to beat the horns to death but more of a pushing and scraping sound if that makes sense. Be ready to have a buck pop up anywhere around you, in front of or in back of you. Sometimes they run in and sometimes they sneek in slowly and curiously.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
                Kirby,
                Do you only grunt if you see one and try to pull him toward you? I am still trying the vanilla. Hasn't worked yet. Honestly, I'm starting to think a lot of the stuff that works other places doesn't work on Ft Hood because the pressure is so high and everyone is using that stuff.
                If I have not seen anything for awhile I throw a few grunts out there, or rattle some. 99% of the time if I see any result it will be a buck walking in my direction and not trying to run me over. I have had a few experiences where a buck comes in fast and ready to fight. Last week I rattled for the first time this season. It was 10:30 and I had not seen anything for about an hour. After 30-45 seconds of rattling I set the bag down. About 2 min later a saw movement. A young 4 point, followed by a little older 6 point and then a min or two later an 8. They all slowly made their way towards me looking for the action and eventually found my hand corn. They hung around for another 1.5 hours eating corn. The next day another location, rattled in a 9 point I was not interested in killing

Comment

I had absolutely no luck rattling in east Texas, now that i hunt Oklahoma the rut is 1000 Percent more intense and i usually have no trouble rattling in bucks but i think I'm doing it wrong because i have yet to rattle up a big mature stud.

Comment

Here's a rattling set I did a couple years ago Thanksgiving weekend.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

https://youtu.be/gzQrpORXiyc

Sorry I can't figure out how to properly post a youtube link.

Comment

Rattling is all dependent on buck to doe ratios and timing of the rut. If those two don't line up pretty good, you probably won't have much luck...

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                        Rattling is all dependent on buck to doe ratios and timing of the rut. If those two don't line up pretty good, you probably won't have much luck...
                        I hunt public land that is highly pressured.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                          - You have to time it just right, and if you don't have a lot of bucks competing for the does, you're probably better just hunting the right wind, and sitting tight over some good sign and hand scattered corn. If you're hunting public land that's pressured, rattling is pretty much out the window, because the deer have most likely already been educated by other hunters. It's always possible if you hit it just right. This is based on my experience. Rattled in a few on private property, tried it several times on public land with little luck. The times I did have luck on public land I was less aggressive with the horns and made it sound more like sparring, it didn't spook the bucks, but it didn't make them come running in either. You need to be in a more open area or they'll be on top of you before you know it, if it works.

Comment

I've had a ton of fun rattling during the rut but I've never done it from inside a popup or a tripod. I usually do it in pairs, a rattler and a shooter. If I'm rattling ill find a nice thick shrub i can hide behind, but still be able to see around/over, close to a blind for the shooter. Then I'll make as much commotion as I can between rattling horns, kicking rocks, hitting the grunt call all at the same time. I try to make it sound like a knock down drag out battle to the death fight between two bucks. I prefer to have a decent size area for them to come in from downwind so they aren't 30 yards away the first time I see them because I that point they will see that I'm the one causing the ruckus.

Comment

At the right time, it's awesome. Other times it's a waste of time.

We use the wind and low valleys and depressions to rattle from. The person doing the rattling faces the down wind direction so the sound will carry thru the valley's and depressions. The shooter gets up as high as he can to see as much as he can. The deer in most cases come from down wind side or circle the sound to get there.

We sometimes use an electric caller with a remote hung in a tree about 50-75 yards in front of a person rattling with horns up wind. This has really worked well. It keeps the deer looking for the sound with no scent of humans. They have stood right under the caller dancing in circles looking for the fight. It's pretty entertaining, to be honest.

We have rattled a lot with no success. Our record is 17 bucks at one sit. That was the perfect time i would say. Play the wind with your set up.

Comment

Working...
                              X