No announcement yet.

Bear Proof Ground Feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would think you would need heavy gauge steel and concrete post to keep the bears from messing it up. That is if you wanted it easy fill.

Comment

I have two 350 lb tripod feeders with a winch and timers if you are interested

Comment

Originally posted by RebeccaCreekKid View Post
        [ATTACH]861392[/ATTACH]

Is there a guard on that thrower? Seems to be bear-head height!

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
          I have two 350 lb tripod feeders with a winch and timers if you are interested

Are they outfitted with ultra-high voltage bear tazers? [emoji95]

Comment

Bear Proof Feeder

I almost typed "beer proof feeder." Which would be tragic, as it would never get filled.

It's not winched all the way up in that photo. Once the bear(s) started showing up we raise it all the way, tired arms or no.

Never had an issue, but of course you could always build it a little taller. Let's see, height of the average bear*, divided by the square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle, plus or minus the lengths of the..oh hell. Build it tall!

*Unless it's Yogi. He's not your average bear. Hey BooBoo!

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post
              Are they outfitted with ultra-high voltage bear tazers? [emoji95]
              With a little ingenuity they could be

If you staked to legs down with T-Posts I think that would fix it

Comment

Yea, If i was building a bear proof feeder I would build a regular style winch up feeder using 2 in drill stem pipe. It would be hard to put up but would never fold up.

Comment

How would enclosing the whole barrel/feed control inside a cage built of 4x4 wire work against bears?

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
                    How would enclosing the whole barrel/feed control inside a cage built of 4x4 wire work against bears?

I think 4x4 wire would be too big. I'm going to get some thicker paneling with smaller grid sizes like 2x2. We will see!

Comment

I have been building feeders to fight bear for several years, this design is almost there.

Comment

Holy smokes! That puts it in perspective.

Comment

I hate them rascals! My only proven solution has been the hanging feeders between 2 trees method. Got to make sure they are stout trees also, preferably hardwoods if you have any in the area.

Comment

I have a video from our hunters up in the panhandle where we have a few bears, they used t-posts to try and anchor feeders. In the trail cam video you see a big black bear pulling t-posts out of the ground like it wasnt any trouble at all. Some of the posts were driven into the ground several feet! if i can find it i will post it. Pretty unbelievable!

Comment

I would bet that a bear could tip that over the first night if it's just anchored with t-posts. It's a wide base one direction, but very narrow the other way.

Comment

The latest design has the legs are set at 22.5 degrees giving it a wide base. using t-posts and the legs screwed into the bracket it will take a heck of a bear to turn it over. They will destroy the spinner plate or rip the timer off the bottom is the only problem.

I have been building feeders to fight bear for several years, this design is almost there.
                                Last edited by Okiehunter; 07-24-2017, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X