X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lookin like a boat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

You still got that belly? You're gonna sink that shallow thing!

Comment

looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          Looking good

Couple of things I learned when I built one

1) You don't need to make the cut you spent so much time laying out along the bottom of the side pieces (shallow, long arc). The sides will naturally bow without it and you will have more side depth mid ship which allows more weight

2) there is a way to cut the stern so that it covers the plywood ends. I have some laying around that I will try and remember to post some pics of to show what I am talking about

3) Gorilla glue will still be holding when the rest of the boat is worn and rotting
          It's true that you don't have to cut the arch in the bottom of the side panels, but your boat will have more rocker without the arch cut. This increases the draft when loaded lightly, and will turn easier but not track as well. If you're lightly loaded and there is any wind, it can be very difficult to paddle a boat with a lot of rocker, as it will want to weather vane.

I built my first one the same way as the OP did, since I used fiberglass tape on all the seams. On the one I built for my father in law, I skipped the fiberglass so I cut the stems from 4x4's like you're talking about. It basically looks like the top 2 sections of how a kid would draw a Christmas tree, so the plywood sits flush inside it. A pain to figure out, but simple to cut on a table saw once you've got the template.

I've never used gorilla glue, it is water activated so I wouldn't trust it. I use Titebond 3 for any joints that fit 100% tight, and PL Premium for anything with a slight gap. Both are cheap and easily found at Home Depot.

Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 07-01-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
            You still got that belly? You're gonna sink that shallow thing!
            You know it, there's village in Africa thay i would be seen as a king and get all the girls. I might just go there, and when i roll up in this thing, I'll be a legendary king fat boy with all the girls!

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
              It's true that you don't have to cut the arch in the bottom of the side panels, but your boat will have more rocker without the arch cut. This increases the draft when loaded lightly, and will turn easier but not track as well. If you're lightly loaded and there is any wind, it can be very difficult to paddle a boat with a lot of rocker, as it will want to weather vane.

I've never used gorilla glue, it is water activated so I wouldn't trust it. I use Titebond 3 for any joints that fit 100% tight, and PL Premium for anything with a slight gap. Both are cheap and easily found at Home Depot.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...f-Gorilla-Glue
              Good point about rocker

I didn't trust Gorilla glue either until we performed an experiment with it. But if I didn't trust it I wouldn't use it, and can appreciate your reluctance

Comment

Originally posted by AJMag View Post
                You know it, there's village in Africa thay i would be seen as a king and get all the girls. I might just go there, and when i roll up in this thing, I'll be a legendary king fat boy with all the girls!

Lol. You know I'm kiddin. But seriously what's the weight rating on that thing? One or two people capable?

Comment

Lol. You know I'm kiddin. But seriously what's the weight rating on that thing? One or two people capable?
                  Mine is 14' long but only 25" wide on the bottom, and the bow and stern stay very narrow for a ways back. It is much faster than a kayak with 200 lbs in it, but loaded with 350 lbs it starts to paddle very sluggishly since it is sitting lower in the water.

The one he is building looks to be wider on the bottom and widens out more quickly, so I'd imagine it should feel ok with 400 lbs in it.

Comment

This guys plans aren't so good as to have all that kind of data behind it. It will be plenty for me and a little gear. It may be good for 2 people, but I highly doubt you could fit in there with someone else, it's not made for giants

It will actually be skinnier than what the pics show right now. I have to make some spacers that should pull the sides back in. I am almost concerned about how far apart the sides are right now. But I'll trust that it will all work out. That 80 degree cut on the bow stem is flexing those sides out pretty good right now. The bottom is only going to be a couple feet or so wide and the top beam around 35 inches I believe. What's left of the plywood sheet under the boat right now is supposed to be used for the bottom, and it's right about 2 ft plus an inch or two in the middle. I've got a little more to do before I get to the bottom. Won't happen this weekend.

Comment

How long will it be when finished?

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
                        How long will it be when finished?
                        Plans say 13' 9. I got your pm the other day, at least i think it was you. I get busy and tend to forget to respond when i have free time. A lot working on this has been spur of the moment and lat night attempts around family and school. Been hard to plan making a set time for working on it.

Comment

Lol. Cool deal. Looking forward to finished product. At least the boys can play with it when they get a little older.

Comment

Started trying to cut down the bow stems. Burned up and broke the belt on the power sander, i think. It broke regardless. So I'm dead in the water til i can get to home depot. Probably be a bit before i get much else done. Might try to rip the cypress board for the chines soon. We'll see

Comment

Well how about you Andy. That's pretty cool.

Comment

Very cool

Comment

Working...
                                X