No announcement yet.

First Full Custom!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys! I am super excited and proud of the build! I cannot express how much I appreciate the patience and guidance Robert and Jason had with me!

If the weather holds out i hope to get some range time with it tomorrow

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
      Jstanton,

Thanks for choosing us for your build! Love the way this one turned out. Let us know how you like running that action. My prediction....... it's gonna be hard to go back to a 90 degree bolt throw
      -Robert
      You guys have made me a customer for life! The fit and finish is amazing! Believe me, I sing your praises to just about anyone who will listen to me.

This was my second build, the first was a Maverick in 7mm Rem Mag built on a Rem 700 action. I love that rifle and it is a great Elk setup but this new action though is miles ahead of everything else I've got!

For anyone who hasn't felt one of these Axiom actions I encourage you to stop by Alamo Precision and put hands on one. I gaurantee it will be at the top of your list for your next build! 3 lug, 60° bolt throw and smooth as silk!!!

Now the hard part is figuring out what to build off of it next!!! Thinking lightweight carbon fiber something or other!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Sexy as hell! Love that Kuiu stock!

Comment

Surely you have done some shooting by now! How'd she do?

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
              Surely you have done some shooting by now! How'd she do?
              Ok so I only had to work half a day yesterday and got a chance to sneak to the range. Had a variable cross wind 5-10mph according to my Kestrel.

After getting her on paper my first group was with Choice Ammunition 140gr. Berger VLD 2650fps muzzle velocity. The first 3 shots were one ragged hole. Shots 4 (high) and 5 (left) were my fault but still managed a respectful 5 shot group.

The second group was with Hornady Precision Hunter 143gr. ELDX 2700fps muzzle velocity. The gun didn't seem to like these as much but still not bad. I pulled the 5th shot because I rushed it.

I was running out of time because the wife said I had to get home for dinner so I plugged in some quick data in Strelock and dialed for 300 yards. This final group was with the Hornady ELDX. Got better groups at 300 yards than 100 yards with the ELDX!

So rifle review after shooting. The action is butter smooth with both rounds. The Curtis Custom DBM fed both the Berger and Hornady flawlessly from the magazine. Trigger was smooth and broke crisp every time. The 60° bolt throw was a dream! There is not a single thing I would change about this rifle. The one thing I don't like is that it has now ruined me for shooting anything less[emoji1] [emoji1] [emoji1] !

I think once I spend some more time behind it, I will close those groups up even more!!!

Comment

This was the 3rd group at 300 yards with the ELDX.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Why (-.128)?

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
                      Why (-.128)?
                      Should have been -.256" (6.5mm) to get center to center measurement.
                      Minus .128 is center to edge.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                        Should have been -.256" (6.5mm) to get center to center measurement.
                        Minus .128 is center to edge.
                        You are correct, that's my bad. Was rushed trying to get home for dinner! Must have had a brain fart!!!

Comment

Actually it should be -.264 for a 6.5mm bullet. Your center to center is now a little better than you thought once you do the math.

Amazing groups for a spanking new rifle shooting factory ammo.

Less than a box into the rifle and you bullseyed the 300 yard target with a 1moa group.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                            Actually it should be -.264 for a 6.5mm bullet. Your center to center is now a little better than you thought once you do the math.

Less than a box into the rifle and you bullseyed the 300 yard target with a 1moa group.

I just caught that, why is the bullet diameter .264 but the conversion from 6.5mm to inches is .258?

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post

Double check me here please.

1.303" - .264" = 1.039" group
                              3" group @ 300 yards = 1 MOA
                              1.309"/3" = .35 MOA

Is that correct?

Comment

That looks good to me.

As to the 6.5mm equaling .258" I can't answer for certain. My guess is that it's marketing. A .264" bullet wouldn't be very catchy as a 6.7056 Creedmore....

Comment

Working...
                                X