Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
    We are getting a few orders here and there but this month is looking to be our worst since the price drop. Im just gonna pray that when i am gone for 2 weeks moose hunting next month that something happens and the turn around starts..
    Hope it picks up for you also. I'm having to travel to different places and longer distances from the house but I'm still busy so far. Being literally on a rig I know that can change overnight though

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      Hope it picks up for you also. I'm having to travel to different places and longer distances from the house but I'm still busy so far. Being literally on a rig I know that can change overnight though
      you should buy our float equipment on those rigs.. Ill make you a hell of a deal..

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        you should buy our float equipment on those rigs.. Ill make you a hell of a deal..
        I would if I was in that position but I'm just a directional guy

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
          365/2=182.5 days
          182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.
          I worked the 7/7 or 14/14 route for 12 years. To someone who is ignorant of the reality of the job, your numbers would look correct, but they aren't. Every company I worked for had a 30min pre tour meeting. Nabors and H&P have a 30min post your meeting. At least once a week you have a RSMT Meetinf, that one is an hour. You also have quarterly compliance training and there's so much of that it's crazy. If you work 14/14 it works out to 2-5 days of meetings on your days off that are anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, every 2nd or 3rd days off.

Then you move up to driller... You still have all of those meetings, but I always went in about 15min earlier to get paper work lined out for the guys and catch up on what happened on my 12hrs off. Every 2 years you get to go to a 4 day well control class. When you make relief you'll do hand overs with your relief for anywhere from 15min to an hour depending on the situation.

Then one day you move up to Toolpusher. Your day starts at 4am. You prepare the meetings that will take place at 5:30. Go over e mails that came through while you were napping. Review reports and have the driller fix this or that. About the time that gets fixed the CoMan calls and wants it changed back. Reports sent off at 5:30, lead the safety meeting and if you're really lucky you'll have about an hour to take a shower and eat breakfast. Your day is going to end around 11pm. IF operations are going smooth. I've been on the rig floor for as much as 3 consecutive days without sleep. At the end of day 2, you're 8hrs into a "normal" job's overtime.

When I went directional drilling, it was still pretty similar. There's always new operations and things to be learned. I probably averaged 14-16hrs a day, and worked around 25 days a month.

All that is to show that your math isn't really spot on.

There's guys that say things like, "I only do about 2hrs of work a day." What they're saying is, they've busted their nuts for a lifetime to get where they are and only do about 2hrs of physical labor a day. I've done both. I worked my way from the wormiest Floorhand you ever saw to a good tool pusher and a pretty fair directional driller. I've seen both sides of the quarter and I'll take the physical labor over the mental labor EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post
            I worked the 7/7 or 14/14 route for 12 years. To someone who is ignorant of the reality of the job, your numbers would look correct, but they aren't. Every company I worked for had a 30min pre tour meeting. Nabors and H&P have a 30min post your meeting. At least once a week you have a RSMT Meetinf, that one is an hour. You also have quarterly compliance training and there's so much of that it's crazy. If you work 14/14 it works out to 2-5 days of meetings on your days off that are anywhere from 8-12hrs a day, every 2nd or 3rd days off.

Then you move up to driller... You still have all of those meetings, but I always went in about 15min earlier to get paper work lined out for the guys and catch up on what happened on my 12hrs off. Every 2 years you get to go to a 4 day well control class. When you make relief you'll do hand overs with your relief for anywhere from 15min to an hour depending on the situation.

Then one day you move up to Toolpusher. Your day starts at 4am. You prepare the meetings that will take place at 5:30. Go over e mails that came through while you were napping. Review reports and have the driller fix this or that. About the time that gets fixed the CoMan calls and wants it changed back. Reports sent off at 5:30, lead the safety meeting and if you're really lucky you'll have about an hour to take a shower and eat breakfast. Your day is going to end around 11pm. IF operations are going smooth. I've been on the rig floor for as much as 3 consecutive days without sleep. At the end of day 2, you're 8hrs into a "normal" job's overtime.

When I went directional drilling, it was still pretty similar. There's always new operations and things to be learned. I probably averaged 14-16hrs a day, and worked around 25 days a month.

There's guys that say things like, "I only do about 2hrs of work a day." What they're saying is, they've busted their nuts for a lifetime to get where they are and only do about 2hrs of physical labor a day. I've done both. I worked my way from the wormiest Floorhand you ever saw to a good tool pusher and a pretty fair directional driller. I've seen both sides of the quarter and I'll take the physical labor over the mental labor EVERY SINGLE TIME.
            Right on jooger! And not to mention, you can't count them as 12 hr days, you have to count them as 24 hr days because you're AT WORK! And away from your family then entire 7-14 days....or in my case right now, 4-5 weeks (till the well is done).

Comment

365/2=182.5 days
              182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.
              That 110hrs equals almost 14 8 hour days, so a regular 8 hour employee working a normal Mon-Fri schedule would have to work 7 days a week from January 1st to the end of February to make up the difference.

Sounds like a little more that way don't it?

Comment

Originally posted by jooger17 View Post

So are you saying all of those meetings, etc are unpaid time?

Originally posted by steven View Post
                That 110hrs equals almost 14 8 hour days, so a regular 8 hour employee working a normal Mon-Fri schedule would have to work 7 days a week from January 1st to the end of February to make up the difference.

Sounds like a little more that way don't it?
                Or you could also say that working half the year would be the same as working from 7 days/week from January 1 to June 30.
                Both would be a irrelevant comparison.

Plus, you're getting paid for those extra 110 hours. It's not like you're working then for free.

Originally posted by BowOnly81 View Post
                Right on jooger! And not to mention, you can't count them as 12 hr days, you have to count them as 24 hr days because you're AT WORK! And away from your family then entire 7-14 days....or in my case right now, 4-5 weeks (till the well is done).
                Firefighters, military, and plenty of other jobs do the same.

And you CHOSE to do it.

I'm not trying to knock the oilfield.
                Just quit trying to illicit sympathy for a time consuming job that you chose to do and are paid well to do it.

Comment

Or you could also say that working half the year would be the same as working from 7 days/week from January 1 to June 30.

Plus, you're getting paid for those extra 110 hours. It's not like you're working then for free.

And you CHOSE to do it.

Just quit trying to illicit sympathy for a time consuming job that you chose to do and are paid well to do it.
                  What does any of this have to do with what was talked about?

Yea some of those meeting and things are not paid but some are. They were simply pointing out the hours actually put in from experience. Also nobody here wanted sympathy for being gone. Believe it or not we realize we chose this and are ok with it.

Comment

And you CHOSE to do it.

You win now go away!

I hope you industry stays strong and you continue to be successful brother! In the mean time all of us that chose to be in the oil and gas industry will continue to pray that this thing turns around and we can find common ground where everyone wins and everyone can make a living!
                    Last edited by KR-oldmexico; 08-19-2015, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Not sure why some folks open this thread.

Meanwhile. Hurry up $80.00 Oil!!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy1911 View Post

Since they open the thread. $90 oil.

Comment

Lol. No doubt. I take 100!

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            Since they open the thread. $90 oil.
                            Lol. No doubt. I take 100!
                            Hellllll just give us mid $60's!

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                              Hellllll just give us mid $60's!
                              And $4.00 NG

Comment

Since yall are being hopeful, NG prices need to skyrocket.

Comment

Working...
                                X