No announcement yet.

Dogs and new babies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog should have been knocked into next week the first time it happened and it prob wouldn't have happened a second time. The dog should be taught that under no circumstance is that kinda behavior allowed. We don't have any children yet( first one will be here in Nov) but we have a nephew who is always at the house. My catahoula loves him but the first time he tried to take a chew from her she growled at him...she learned the hard way that that kinda behavior won't be tolerated. He can now crawl all over her take her food bowl ECT and she doesn't do a thing. Dogs only get one chance in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
      I’ll be the dissenting voice. The dog is just being a dog. It’s pack structure has changed and it’s trying to identify where it is in the order. Asset yourself over the dog, display favor to the baby. Never leave the two alone. The dog will figure it’s been bumped down a notch
      This. If every owner dumped their dog the first time it nipped at someone, very few people would own dogs... Your dog wasn’t trying to harm your boy.

Of course, your son is most important and it can’t happen again. As others have said, put the fear of God into her if she even looks at your kid wrong or growls, barks, etc. They can’t be left alone together.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
        Dog should have been knocked into next week the first time it happened and it prob wouldn't have happened a second time. The dog should be taught that under no circumstance is that kinda behavior allowed. We don't have any children yet( first one will be here in Nov) but we have a nephew who is always at the house. My catahoula loves him but the first time he tried to take a chew from her she growled at him...she learned the hard way that that kinda behavior won't be tolerated. He can now crawl all over her take her food bowl ECT and she doesn't do a thing. Dogs only get one chance in my book.
        This x1000. The first time it happened I would’ve beat that dogs *** into next month. If it happened again it would’ve been gone within the hour. We always had heelers growing up and one snapped at one of my little cousins and was gone the next day, my dad didn’t play that game at all. I don’t have any kids of my own but I have a 4 year old niece that is over all the time. I guess I’m lucky but I’m pretty sure my Collie gets more excited to see my niece than she does to see me. Ella can crawl all over, take her food, pull her ears or whatever else and the dog enjoys every minute of it. I couldn’t imagine having a dog in the house that I couldn’t trust with a kid.

Comment

Our Catahoula was extremely jealous of our daughter when she was born. She never snapped at her, but she wouldn’t look at her. We recognized the signs of potential problems, so we didn’t let them have too much interaction. Now that Isabella is 18 months, Nola has accepted her as part of the family. She can crawl all over her without a problem. It helps a lot now that the baby feeds her from her high chair and wants to help fill her bowl too...

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
            This. If every owner dumped their dog the first time it nipped at someone, very few people would own dogs... Your dog wasn’t trying to harm your boy.

Of course, your son is most important and it can’t happen again. As others have said, put the fear of God into her if she even looks at your kid wrong or growls, barks, etc. They can’t be left alone together.
            I agree with these guys, fist time she even curled a lip at the baby, she got a very stern warning ( ok grabbed and held down) Now my grand daughters 5 and they are buddies.

Comment

Heard this several times in EMS. "My dog never bit anyone before. Before it bit the baby in the face." Do you really want to take the chance with your baby?

Comment

sorry to say........
                Click image for larger version

Name:	full-8796-141280-well_bye.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	24542551

Comment

My next door neighbor is an eye surgeon. He told me awhile back about how many eyes on children he has had to fix or attempt to fix because of dog bites. I hope you can make it work but I would never leave that dog closer to the child than I was from the dog. And I agree on smacking the crap out of that dog if it even looked sideways at the kid.

Comment

It could have been your son’s eyeball, or nose, or lip that she nipped, leaving permanent damage. I can’t imagine what you’re going through having to choose but unfortunately it’s not if but when your son gets seriously hurt, not to the fault of the dog. She’s just being a dog, she’s not vicious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dog gone!

Comment

I would talk to a trainer. Like playa said there has been changes in everyone’s life.

I don’t think the dog needs to go. But that’s me.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                          This isn't a hard choice.

Your child is infinitely more important than your dog.
                          Not a hard decision.

Comment

Any friends or family that will take the dog ?

Comment

We also faced this and like a few others on here have said, we needed to ensure the dog knew her place in the pack. Even though the baby/toddler doesn't seem like a dominant force, the dog must submit to all people in the house. I'm sure that yours, like mine, is challenging the new pack member to see who is in charge between the two of them. Keep working with her and the child through feedings, toys, allowing the child to crawl on her - all in a controlled situation (you right there helping) to ensure the dog submits and understands that no form of aggression towards the baby will be tolerated. If she cannot learn to submit or refuses to, then you have a tough decision to make.

Comment

If it were my Dog it would be rehomed if I didn’t shoot it first in a fit of rage.

Comment

Working...
                                X