Is there such a thing as good debt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there such a thing as good debt?

What are your thoughts? I have been listening a lot to Dave Ramsey again, and we are actually on our way to knocking out a lot of our unneeded debt. I was aspiring to be debt free. My career goal is in 10 years to become a restaurant franchisee, and my boss says there is a such thing as good debt. He just recently bought 2 restaurants of his own, and is making a very good distribution even after the note payment each month. Even if debt free was a reality for me, it'd take me a very long time to save enough cash to buy a franchise outright, so I'm thinking that debt would be ok, as long as it's with a proven system and a store with a proven track record of profitability. What say the GS?

Of course it's a good thing. Dave Ramsey talks a good game for fiscally irresponsible people. He says a lot of stupid things for people who are responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
      What are your thoughts? I have been listening a lot to Dave Ramsey again, and we are actually on our way to knocking out a lot of our unneeded debt. I was aspiring to be debt free. My career goal is in 10 years to become a restaurant franchisee, and my boss says there is a such thing as good debt. He just recently bought 2 restaurants of his own, and is making a very good distribution even after the note payment each month. Even if debt free was a reality for me, it'd take me a very long time to save enough cash to buy a franchise outright, so I'm thinking that debt would be ok, as long as it's with a proven system and a store with a proven track record of profitability. What say the GS?
      Dave Ramsey is a long way from a one size fits all financial approach. There is absolutely such thing as good debt in todays world

Comment

yes, absolutely. In the case of business debt is leverage, if you know how to handle it. Also, my opinion debt is good if it's bringing in revenue or future revenue and/or appreciation. My advice is to learn from your boss in those regards.

Comment

All depends on your risk tolerance..And that depends a lot on you, your family, your needs etc.

Simple answer is yes, of course it is IF you go into debt and that in turn makes you lots of money that you would not have made otherwise. But obviously no if the debt doesn't work (like a lot of food service places) and causes you to go bankrupt.

I've always thought best to start small and if it's profitable, expand. If you can't sell 10 items per day and turn a profit don't try selling the same item 10,000 times per day thinking it will make a profit.

Comment

Debt can be a tool. Used wisely it can help you achieve what you want/need.

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post
              yes, absolutely. In the case of business debt is leverage, if you know how to handle it. Also, my opinion debt is good if it's bringing in revenue or future revenue and/or appreciation. My advice is to learn from your boss in those regards.
              ^^^^^This. If the debt is generating revenue, it can certainly be a good thing. Most people don't own a business or have their debt generating income, therefore for most debt is not a good thing.

Just remember that Dave Ramsey panders to the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                ^^^^^This. If the debt is generating revenue, it can certainly be a good thing. Most people don't own a business or have their debt generating income, therefore for most debt is not a good thing.

Just remember that Dave Ramsey panders to the masses.
                And the masses are stupid

Comment

Originally posted by txjustin View Post

True.

I'll add, the key to a successful business has as much to do with a willingness to take risks as it does with hard work. Debt is simply managed risk.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                    Of course it's a good thing. Dave Ramsey talks a good game for fiscally irresponsible people. He says a lot of stupid things for people who are responsible.
                    THank you!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There are very few Business models that operate debt free, I have never read a Ramsey book and I know some folks have had great success with them, but I promise you he doesn't live a completely debt free life.

Comment

Dave Ramsey is talking about not getting bogged down in consumer debt which is a problem that financially suffocates many Americans. However there are very few businesses - especially new businesses - than could make it without the leverage debt provides.

Comment

Originally posted by fox1 View Post
                          There are very few Business models that operate debt free, I have never read a Ramsey book and I know some folks have had great success with them, but I promise you he doesn't live a completely debt free life.
                          To further expound on this, publicly traded companies are crucified if they don't carry enough debt. The leverage is crucial to quickly mobilizing to meet business needs, and shows investors the company is investing in its future.

There is a reason there is a "leverage" ratio on yearly fiscal statements for these companies.

Comment

Most people who want to start a business have no other choice than to borrow. I didn't, but it worked out. Don't for a minute think that it didn't worry me though. But I knew my business, and my skills. It was the market that worried me. It's hard to borrow against a future that may go to hell in a hand basket.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                              Dave Ramsey is talking about not getting bogged down in consumer debt which is a problem that financially suffocates many Americans. However there are very few businesses - especially new businesses - than could make it without the leverage debt provides.
                              Correct me if I'm wrong but I could swear on multiple occasions he advised people against commercial debt.

Comment

Working...
                              X