No announcement yet.

Why I’m leaving slicktrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I've shot 13-14 critters with slicktrick now. Good blood trails if I do my part.

Comment

My buddy made an almost identical shot with a slick truck this week and his deer fell within sight, stone dead. Deer are tough animals. Aim small, miss small.

Comment

I lost a deer once in 2011. I quit shooting Bowtech bows. I quit shooting Rage. I quit shooting with peep sights. I quit shooting Beman arrows. I stopped using 2" speed vanes. There is no way it was my fault.

Comment

Not really seeing how a live deer is a blood trail problem. Finding it dead a couple days later when the buzzards get on it, sure.

My only experience with slick tricks is watching my friend kill a bull elk with one this year. It went in and sounded like a wooden baseball bat when it hit the offside shoulder. He ran about 200 yards on a 45 degree downhill, we were able to follow the blood trail at a fast walking pace.

There was no exit, the arrow broke up into about 2” pieces and that shoulder was blood shot like a rifle hit it. Broadhead had no damage whatsoever and was still sharp.

Comment

Rage extreme or shwackers equals huge blood trails and dead animals even on marginal shots! That’s why I switched from fixed blades.

Comment

Why I’m leaving slicktrick

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
              Slick trick should leave the shooter.

There’s not a broadhead made that will compensate for poor shooting.

Right here! I killed the biggest deer of my life with a Slick Trick...along with countless hogs.

Back to the drawing board you go! [emoji41]

That being said...I doubt that’s the same deer!

Skinny
              Last edited by Skinny; 10-14-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
                I’m fine with someone disagreeing with me. I am just stating what I have found with slick tricks. Any broadhead can have a good blood trail once or twice. I shot 15-20 animals with them and the majority of the blood trails sucked. So for everyone quoting me saying how awesome they are, if you have only shot one or two things get a bigger sample size then come back to me [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I’ve killed over 100 animals with slick tricks. They are awesome!

Comment

You can kill em with a spoon if you put it in the right spot!

Comment

I’d say hunt with what you feel like hunting with. I don’t like them compared to Iron Wills or German Kinetics, but they are also a much more quality and expensive broadhead. I mean quality due to the materials used in building them. My favorite new mechanical is a Rage Trypan. Some people don’t like them, but I do so that’s what I shoot. A broadhead isn’t designed to bail out a bad shot. It’s meant to preform when the shooter does his job. If you get bailed out by a broadhead it’s all a matter of luck or chance. None of them go out of their way to hinder or help

Comment

Originally posted by BIG BONE View Post
                      Reason I ask is I saw this doe last year on my property
                      Very high hit on entrance and exit is close to where yours is

Entrance is first pic and exit is second
                      Did this but another inch back a few years ago on a buck. Stood and bleed. Then walked away only to be seen again on neighbors game camera.

Comment

Shot this boar this evening with one of the dull slick tricks. He didn’t make it far (thankfully 25 minuets later a flood came)

Would have been a walking blood trail... if I could have stood up to walk
                        Attached Files

Comment

broadheads and lack courtesy

guys i am disappointed reading this thread. this use to be courteous place. this guy didn't ask to get roasted and if you hunt long enough and kill enough you are going to have marginal or bad shots. his shot was not that bad. the higher you are the further back you can be and sometimes it just doesn't work out. i have killed elk with an expandable walled off in their chest back in the old days and the animal was surprisingly fine. many times the animal will be ok if not hit in the guts. opinions are like a holes everyone has one. use what you are confident with. be cool....life is short

Comment

Originally posted by stickbow View Post
                            guys i am disappointed reading this thread. this use to be courteous place. this guy didn't ask to get roasted and if you hunt long enough and kill enough you are going to have marginal or bad shots. his shot was not that bad. the higher you are the further back you can be and sometimes it just doesn't work out. i have killed elk with an expandable walled off in their chest back in the old days and the animal was surprisingly fine. many times the animal will be ok if not hit in the guts. opinions are like a holes everyone has one. use what you are confident with. be cool....life is short
                            I agree with the first part

Now about the bold part,
                            How high do I have to be to shoot one right in front of the hindquarters?
                            Now if you want to talk about angles, the more one is quartered away, the more back you need to be.

The OP's shot looked like what Buff called " middle middle", mid way between front and back and midway between bottom and top of body

Comment

Switch to a Rage and see what happens. I would much rather have a 2” wound channel than a 1” wound channel. You just never know what it’s going to cut with that extra inch. I shoot and love Rage Trypans. I got a full pass through on a boat hog at 53 yards. I’m shooting a 29/70 Elite Ritual with a 555 grain FMJ. Rages aren’t ideal for all hunting situations but for whitetails they do the job just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see no reason to take a chance using small fixed blade broad heads when there are mechanicals out there that are absolutely devestating. Use what you have confidence in!

Comment

Working...
                                X