Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rucking (Ruck Marching)

Anytime my weight or fitness gets out of hand, I always start my path to better health by simply walking. I started the year off, 50# over my ideal weight. 2 things needed to change... eating habits and activity.

I would be lying if I said this was the first time I have walked off a significant amount of body fat. And on previous occasions, after having done it successfully, I wished that I had started walking around with the weight I had lost... on my back.

Although I didn't do it at the beginning, this time I tried it. With some inspiration from some of 1369's threads on rucking events, and after bouncing some ideas off of him, I bought a small ruck and gradually worked myself back up in "curb weight."

While I still walk around most of the time without a ruck, or a lightly loaded 20# ruck... I now am up to regular 5 to 8 mile ruck walks at 35-40#

There are a couple reasons I chose rucking as my base fitness workout:

1) I like to walk and hike already
    2) after a traumatic knee injury that required 2 surgeries, running isn't an reasonable option
    3) like running, you can ruck anywhere
    4) it fits in my goals for going on an elk hunt next year.
    5) I was never in the military, but am a military brat, and there are some basic fundamentals that stand the test of time... carrying heavy **** long distances toughens you up.

Curious how many other TBHers train frequently with weighted packs, or participate in ruck march events?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I ran 2 miles last night and then did 2.5 more with 50#. I ran about half of that 2.5 miles. I know it's bad for my knees lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pic of my pack and the 25# sand bag I use to weigh it down.

5.11 Rush 12

Comment

Looking for some hunters in the fair oaks/boerne area who wanna train or ruck before season starts. Let me know

Comment

I do pretty often lol it is forced upon me with a star spangled banner hymn that mysteriously sounds through the early morning right before the order is given haha
          Seriously tho I ruck a lot it's great for you and it is a really good total body workout.

Comment

Hey Swamp, that the same ruck you used on the epic fly fishing ruck march you did? I'd love to be able to do that, but these old knees wouldn't let me do that I'm afraid... Too many years of football, etc. and too many scopes, especially on the right one... Doc told me to be careful with that one... ain't much left to "scope out"...

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              I ran 2 miles last night and then did 2.5 more with 50#. I ran about half of that 2.5 miles. I know it's bad for my knees lol

Yeah, weighted runs are definitely out. Might be okay on sand, but I already primarily stick to pavement.

My plan from a fitness-lifestyle standpoint is to get to where a 35# ruck is what I can shoulder for a whole day of walking (25+ flat miles.) I can pretty much do that now with 20#.

Before I got into everyday-style rucking, I bought a freighter pack for my future Western hunts. I will use that for over 40#. I will probably start introducing a couple 2 mile 50# walks with that next month and work up to 70#, 1-2 hour walks by sometime next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                Yeah, weighted runs are definitely out. Might be okay on sand, but I already primarily stick to pavement.

My plan from a fitness-lifestyle standpoint is to get to where a 35# ruck is what I can shoulder for a whole day of walking (25+ flat miles.) I can pretty much do that now with 20#.

Before I got into everyday-style rucking, I bought a freighter pack for my future Western hunts. I will use that for over 40#. I will probably start introducing a couple 2 mile 50# walks with that next month and work up to 70#, 1-2 hour walks by sometime next spring.

Train to hunt last year we did a 100# meat pack for 2 miles. That was fun [emoji16]

Comment

I use a 20# vest I jog/walk with once a week, has helped shred a lot of weight and help progress my training, helps the feet feel light and get the lower body/core in prestige shape, walking to my stand this season which consists of a 1.2 mile trek will be a breeze

Comment

I use kettlebells, dumb bells, barbell and calisthenics. I do TABATA training. I went from a size 40 to a large 34 since late February. I do work outs from youtube. Ive lost 20-25 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                      Hey Swamp, that the same ruck you used on the epic fly fishing ruck march you did? I'd love to be able to do that, but these old knees wouldn't let me do that I'm afraid... Too many years of football, etc. and too many scopes, especially on the right one... Doc told me to be careful with that one... ain't much left to "scope out"...
                      Yep, the same one!

When I was in my early 20s and 260# I dislocated my knee when I was dollying a freezer. I collapsed under its weight and my knee dislocated and violently relocated on the way down... shearing off a quarter sized chunk of bone off the load bearing face of my femur. Tore ligaments too. But cartilage on the bone surface doesn't regrow. Long story short walking is fine (1x your body weight in force) running is out (5-10x weight in force)

Thankfully my knees rarely complain these days (my hip flexors is another story!) I figure it is because I know now to ramp slowly... and the scale shows that I am still 15# lighter than last year, even with 35# on my back

Comment

The first pic is me late february i weighed 245, and im 220 today

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

Wife made me this shirt.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Wife made me this shirt.

Should have made extras...I want one

Comment

I had been doing a bit of research looking for a padded hip belt for this bag. At 35-40# it does start to sway a tad and you can't rest your shoulders periodically from the weight. My freighter external frame pack as a nice padded belt that would have been perfect... and I've also seen some folks use the Condor battle belt as an option too. I finally just found some USA company on Amazon that makes a 1.5" webbing belt that can be laced through the attachments on the RUSH. Only cost $11. It came in yesterday and this morning I gave it a go with 38# and a 7 mile ruck march.

Because the Rush 12 is a small pack, the belt actually rides about 1-2" above my hip. The thing is though, even that high, it really helped increase the stability of the pack. When I wanted to unload my shoulders, the pack would sit and ride right on my hip and not move, giving me a couple minutes to stretch out my upper back before tightening everything back down.

There was another added benefit. My biggest complaint about the Rush bag was that it was kind of a pain to tighten the shoulder straps while under load. They didn't seem run through the tensioner very smoothly... unless I hunched forward and took the weight off a bit. Turns out, with the hip/waist belt in use, I don't have that problem at all.

Looking at my calendar and trying to find the time to get in a 10-12 miler with the 35+ weight in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                              X