No announcement yet.

Cordless tool suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have Dewalt 20v and they are great, bought back in 2012 and I have used them a lot for industrial applications at work and they are still ticking. I bought the extra life 3.0 batteries and get so much more run time.

That being said, Milwaukee used to make a good tool, and makitas have been good ones too. It pretty sure the PC is more of a home use tool but I think the Rigid will give you pretty good work too. It's all up to what you want to spend on them. I like my Dewalts though.

Comment

Milwaukee hands down,

Have had ridgid, makita, and porter cable.

I would put Makita and Ridgid together as close 2nd.

Comment

I'm just a home owner/hobby type user and have both a 12v and an 18v Ridgid drill. Yes they have a lifetime warranty, to include the batteries, but you have to follow their registration rules, and even register replacement batteries to be covered. And, you have to take the problem tool, battery, and charger to their repair place for evaluation in order to get coverage. The shop in San Antonio was about 5 blocks from my bow shop and that wasn't bad, but now the closest one is in Beeville, about 80 miles away--no good.
        Last edited by dustoffer; 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
          Milwaukee hands down,

Have had ridgid, makita, and porter cable.

I would put Makita and Ridgid together as close 2nd.
          Milwaukee is the way to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
            Milwaukee is the way to go!
            This. Buy once, cry once.

Comment

Thanks everybody. I had no idea the response I'd get. Keep it coming.

I'm gonna answer a couple of questions without trying to multi-quote.

Some of the stuff I have is Craftsman. Pretty much homeowner grade stuff. I don't feel like it'd be worth it to try to replace the batteries. I have a set of Milwaukee 14.4 volt tools that I bought new close to 20 years ago. The batteries never seemed to last long, then they crapped out, then the charger crapped out. At the time, it was going to cost a fortune to replace the batteries and charger. I've heard mixed reviews of having batteries rebuilt, so I'm gonna pass on that option. I've got a Makita 1/4" impact and a weedeater. We moved and I can't seem to find the battery and charger to save my life. I think I'm going to box it all up and garage put it in a garage sale.

The Porter Cable stuff has done everything I've asked it to, but it seems a little bit light-duty. My BIL has some PC stuff. If I buy something new, I'll give my BIL my current PC drill, sawzall and batteries.

I don't make a full-time living with my tools, but I live on a ranch and I weld part-time, so when I work 'em, often as not, I work 'em pretty hard. The main thing is decent battery life.

I hadn't looked at Makita or Milwaukee until this thread. Frankly, I wasn't too impressed with Milwaukee before, but the set I have is almost 20 years old - I know they've improved since then. I've used a Milwaukee Fuel grinder and was pretty impressed. I think I'll take a closer look at Milwaukee and Makita too.
              Last edited by JP135; 03-20-2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

I've been slowly switching everything I own to DeWalt after borrowing some from a friend.

My drill is a year old and the first DW I purchased. So far, zero issues and I'm pretty rough on it. Maybe not a daily user but it gets a hot supper every week at least once.

If you want to see some truly unbiased tool reviews and teardowns that you can guarantee aren't sponsored or paid for, look up AvE on the youtubes. Dude shoots straight.

Comment

Originally posted by GrapeApe View Post
                  If you want to see some truly unbiased tool reviews and teardowns that you can guarantee aren't sponsored or paid for, look up AvE on the youtubes. Dude shoots straight.
                  Will do!

Dustoffer, what you describe is one of my concerns with Ridgid. If using the warranty is a pain in the rear, it ain't such a great thing after all.

Comment

makita

Comment

I like my porter cable stuff .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been real happy with my Makita tools.

Comment

I'm in the AC business and abuse my Dewalt 20 volt and they hold up really good.

Comment

We didn't have very good luck with the Dewalt. Mainly bearings but chuck problems as well. Almost all of what we use now is Makita and it's been great. No ones even had to get new batteries yet and they are around 6 years old now and these things put in millions of screws a year.

Comment

Working...
                            X