Breaking a Rust 'Bond'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by M16 View Post
    It's a lot easier to drill and tap for the zerk fitting before the gate is installed. But you can still do it. I'd use a bottoming tap. You won't get much thread engagement with a tapered tap.
    I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything drilling and tapping through both pipes. Just as long as the zerk fitting threads don't go past the first pipe.

If you drilled thru both pipes you would need to make sure the gate was not in the same position when you grease them as when you drilled holes. For example drill holes thru both while gate is open and grease when gate is in closed position. This will stop grease from just going into the center of the gate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
      Penetrating oil and a torch.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
      This ^^^

Comment

Always used K&W Knock'er Loose.

Comment

Find some Break Free. That stuff works. I have found plies that were buried in the ground since long before I lived where I found them. Sprayed them with Break Free and got them freed up quickly. Had some old line men pliers, that I found years ago, sprayed them with WD-40 a few times never did any good. When the Break Free worked on other stuff, I went and got those plies out, that had been in the garage for years, since I found them. Sprayed them, then tried to open them two minutes later, it was like they were never rusted, even though they were covered in rust. That stuff works.

Comment

PB Blaster works great. Can get at wal mart

Comment

As far as a grease zerk, couldn’t you just use the drive type zerks to avoid having to thread anything??

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                Acetone mixed with transmission fluid will also work
                50/50 mixture works well!

Comment

Rope and bumper of pickup truck.

Must say, pretty ashamed of these citified folk telling you to add all this perfume crap to a simple country issue.
                  bet they put lime in their beer too...

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                    Penetrating oil and a torch.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                    Old Refinery trick there, the fitters and boilermakers used this one on a many of exchanger heads and flanges.

Comment

PB Blaster, spray and let soak for a few hours, spray again and let soak for a few hours and your gate will open no problem. And yes you need to add a grease fitting to all hinges.

Comment

Kroil or Knockerloose if you can find them.

Comment

can pb blaster be used to free a choke tube stuck in a shotgun?

Comment

Aerokroil

this is all I could find that really works

Comment

Oreilly's sells a product called Free All. Best spray penetrant you can buy. I've tested it against Kroil, PB Blaster, and a number of other penetrants in industrial settings. Steam turbines, stuck valves, etc. No other product come close.

Comment

PB

Comment

Working...
                                X