Stop fighting Cancer........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
    Sorry to hear you lost your dad, Dale, but thanks for sharing this. I agree with your dad. If I am diagnosed with terminal cancer, then there is no way I am going to spend the last months of my life suffering from chemo treatments just to eek out a few more months. We are all going to die. Spend the last days living as much as one can, not being miserably sick from chemo.

Absolutely this. Both my parents had cancer but my dad passed due to heart issues before the cancer could take him. My mom had lung cancer and we didn't want to lose her so she agreed to chemo. It was horrible. I wouldn't wish that on anyone and still have guilt. Diagnosed in December 2000 and passed March 2001. I would have much rather had a shorter time with her than what she went through. I might fight it up to a certain age but it won't be long before I would just walked away

Comment

Originally posted by MassMan View Post
      Give me cancer all day every day over Alzheimer's. I haven't had a back and forth conversation with my mom in 5+ years yet I see her every week.
      That Alzheimer's is a horrible disease as well.

Comment

one of my closest friends diagnosed with lung cancer over two years ago - life expectancy was 6-8 months.

He took all the treatments he could - then he got into an experimental treatment at MD Anderson. Drives two hours each way one time per week to get the treatment. He looks and feels great and the cancer is stable.

He chose to fight and so far it has given him two years of additional quality of life.

It is an individual choice as to fight it or not - not an easy choice either way

Comment

My mom died of lung and brain cancer in 1988, she was 46. I was only 15 but the memory of her suffering from both the cancer and the chemo has me convinced if I get diagnosed with terminal cancer, I am not putting my family through that. It's not the money, it's the fact that people that love you suffer "almost" as badly as the person diagnosed. I can't see an adjustable hospital bed now without my mind seeing her laying there sick, bald, and crying. And that was from the chemo not the cancer. I know advancements have been made in cancer treatment since then, but I can't shake that image even after over 30 years. Saying "Cancer Sucks" is an understatement.

To me, it is definitely a fight or battle. But I would honor the wishes of a friend or loved one if they asked me not to call it that.

Comment

Wow,
            I’m at work reading these stories and I know people are wondering what is wrong with me.
            My Dad was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer 9 months ago and given 6 months to live.
            He decided to fight, he said there was a lot left to teach his 5 and 8 year old grandsons.
            He had a rough time after his first 3 chemo treatments. We went on to figure out that it was his blood sugar levels that were out of wack. Got that lined out and 14 treatments later he is doing great. He also started researching natural remedies asap and I truly believe that is what is helping him. He and my Mom are flying to Cabo tomorrow to celebrate a good report from M.D. Anderson last week.

Great reading all of yalls stories and I will pray for each of you.
            There is something that sticks with me that my Dad said the day he was diagnosed “ my timeline was made the day I was born, cancer doesn’t change it, it is in his hands”

Comment

Cancer sux, period! As a “survivor” it is something I do not wish on my worst enemy. It is scary, painful, and very trying. If I had to name one thing that is the absolute worst though it would be that there is a cure, actually multiple but, there is no money in a cure. The things that have been proven to combat C are completely natural (pot just easies the pain) but the FDA has outlawed them. I beat mine by breaking the law and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Prayers to all afflicted and effected by cancer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                Cancer sux, period! As a “survivor” it is something I do not wish on my worst enemy. It is scary, painful, and very trying. If I had to name one thing that is the absolute worst though it would be that there is a cure, actually multiple but, there is no money in a cure. The things that have been proven to combat C are completely natural (pot just easies the pain) but the FDA has outlawed them. I beat mine by breaking the law and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Prayers to all afflicted and effected by cancer!

I agree with everything you said.

Look into B17, turmeric, Frankincense to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazzy View Post
                  I agree with everything you said.

Look into B17, turmeric, Frankincense to name a few.

B17 is awesome but, it is very hard and costly to get in high dosages

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                    Or you can stand up, shake hands with the Doctor and Explain to him that 74 years was a long life filled with great memories and ask the him "How long do I have to make arrangements"? On February 26th 2018 my Pops did just that , he was told 3 maybe 4 months before it would take him. 64 Days later on May 4th, 16 days before his 75th birthday he left this world.

What I learned from this as a son, there are two types of fights that are going to happen.

One is from the person that has been diagnosed and wants to fight for more time on this earth, or they want to fight to let go.

The second is from the family that wants to fight for every moment that can get with the person they love.

As humans it is in our very nature to fight to survive , even when there is no chance to do so, it is what and who we are.

Pops didn't want to fight, but he did not give up either, He told me what he wanted and I agreed to enforce his last wishes even though I knew it was going to cause me problems. I watched him go from being semi active, to needing help with more things, losing weight, and having lots of visitors at the house, family dinners every Sunday. And then it was time, he was losing his fight slowly but he said..Son, its time. I don't want any more visitors, no more family, I don't want them seeing me like this, I enforced his wishes. 3 weeks later found us helping him in and out of bed, that evening he fell out of bed trying to stand one last time on his own and his lucidity was fading. I picked him up and made the call to hospice that the time was near and I wanted to move him into town. 2 days later he opened his eyes while I was rubbing his head and my mother was on the opposite side of the bed, he looked around at us and closed his eyes and drew his last breath..no funeral or services would be held, as he wanted it to be.

One thing that stuck with me was something my Pops said.."I didn't know dying was going to be so hard"
                    Thank you so much for sharing this story.

Comment

Give me cancer all day every day over Alzheimer's. I haven't had a back and forth conversation with my mom in 5+ years yet I see her every week.

Amen Brother.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
                        Cancer sucks. My mom died of lung cancer at age 53. That was a tough season in life for me and my family. One thing is for sure, my mom was as tough as nails...her body was weak but her mind was strong. I learned a lot about mind over matter during that time.

Skinny

Love you Skinny

F^^* Cancer

Comment

As a cancer patient, and doing well at present, and losing my father in 2001 to mesothelioma, this thread has struck close to home. There was a time when the 1st treatment selected for me caused me to lose 40 lbs and I was losing hope. Didn't want to visit with anyone but my wife and children. Went to bed each night not sure I would wake up. But I still wanted to fight, and feel like I will if and when it returns. I can also understand not wanting to continue a treatment that makes one feel worse than the disease knowing the end is near and it wont make any difference. I am thankful and get reminded how lucky I am seeing some of the other people receiving treatments when I get my infusion every 2 weeks. While I plan to live a long time yet, I will still treasure every day I have left to spend with my children and grandchildren like I will be gone next week. Reading this thread has made me more emotional than I have been in over a year, and reminded me none of us are promised tomorrow.

Comment

This^^^ for sure

Alzheimer's takes the mind first then the body. Absolutely horrible. I remember my grandfather sitting at the kitchen table looking at a kitchen chair and asking me what it was. He said "What's that?" I look and only see the chair. I said "what do you mean?" He said "that thing right there," and points to the chair. I said "you mean the chair." He said "yes," then started crying and said, "I'm so stupid, I don't even know what a chair is anymore." That was in the early stages. It eventually took everything
                            Last edited by AntlerCollector; 05-16-2018, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                              Sorry to hear you lost your dad, Dale, but thanks for sharing this. I agree with your dad. If I am diagnosed with terminal cancer, then there is no way I am going to spend the last months of my life suffering from chemo treatments just to eek out a few more months. We are all going to die. Spend the last days living as much as one can, not being miserably sick from chemo.
                              Had a great friend that was later diagnosed with cancer after he passed out at church. When the doctor told him that with chemo treatments he might live another three to six months, he said no thanks. He didn’t see any purpose in being even sicker just prior to passing. Man it’s really tough when a close friend tells you face to face that he is dying.

Comment

16 years ago my unk was diagnoswd with stage 4 prostate cancer
                                He told the doc "Fu#k Cancer!" and went on living his life.
                                I'll see him in Dallas tomorrow and he still smokes a pack a day

Comment

Working...
                                X