• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
    37 years on rifle hunts and never drawn
    26 years on archery never drawn
    So your wasting your time putting in
    Have you checked with TPWD to make sure you’re not filling out the applications incorrectly?!

Comment

Yep filling it out correctly

Comment

I have 9+ points in a lot of categories except GDA.

Comment

I apply every year, the hunts are great. You have much better luck going on standby if you can swing it. I've been drawn for gator (last year, cancelled during hurricane) and archery either sex. Not sure how many points I have without checking but guessing 7-8 more almost every category.
          I've walked in and been drawn on standby though

Better odds at lower success/lower quality places. I only put in for what I consider the good ones. My archery draw was at the Chap

Comment

Originally posted by SCREAMINREELS View Post
            I apply every year, the hunts are great. You have much better luck going on standby if you can swing it. I've been drawn for gator (last year, cancelled during hurricane) and archery either sex. Not sure how many points I have without checking but guessing 7-8 more almost every category.
            I've walked in and been drawn on standby though

Better odds at lower success/lower quality places. I only put in for what I consider the good ones. My archery draw was at the Chap

That was kind of my thinking as well trying for the first time. It does not bother me if its either sex or just does. I’m just interested in new experiences and getting a chance to hunt a new place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comment

I've put in for 5-6 years

Comment

I cant even draw an antlerless tag on the Sam Houston. 0-3 and I thought that was pretty much guaranteed.

Comment

I've got 5 points in a lot of categories. My fourth year of applying my dad and myself drew a management buck hunt at Mason Mountain WMA. I killed a small buck. My dad didn't kill anything but he had fun. Only hunt I've been drawn for so far. I only put in for hunts that would be considered harder to draw (higher success rates and a couple with a chance for bigger bucks and therefore more people applying).

My kids have 2 points in a few youth categories. They have not been drawn as of yet.

I've got a lease but I enjoy hunting diffrent parts of the state. Also I put in for the mule deer hunts (not any on my lease). This allows me the chance to do that.

Comment

O.P. if you have any questions shot me a p.m. I'll be happy to share what little bit of knowledge I have with you.

Comment

I have 5+ points in all draws. Haven't been drawn yet. I half arse expect to be drawn for multiple hunts one year and burn all of my vacation.

Comment

How are points acquired?

Comment

Originally posted by Grittydog View Post
                            How are points acquired?
                            You apply for whatever hunt category and location for that category you wanna try and draw a hunt for (for example: management buck hunt at Mason Mountain WMA). If you don't draw for that category then you will get one point for said category.
                            Last edited by BradBryant1000; 05-16-2018, 07:03 PM.

Comment

We’ve drawn an anterless hunt pretty much every two years since we started putting in 7 or 8 years ago. One nice buck hunt to the chap, one turkey hunt, and one hunt to balconies where we had to shoot two pigs or does before we could shoot a buck. If you liberally apply you have a decent shot at getting drawn, and you have a higher chance on bow hunts. I think we’ve drawn 5 gun hunts in 8 years, maybe 6 hunts

Comment

Working...
                              X