Edwards/Real Counties Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks y’all.

Rosco- The aoudad scratch themselves with their horns and I also think they get rashes of some sort. I don’t know if it’s a ‘heat rash’, over scratching, flies/bugs, falling, etc but not too uncommon on the older rams.

(Ram from Post #470 is the guy in the back right).

Fordandez- The protein feeders are timed so they can’t empty them at their own will. Surprisingly every time I check the tubes, they are holding feed in them.

Pinchers... Named for his short 5s. I didn’t start running cams until 2016 and it didn’t take long to start getting elk pics. In the past I had seen tracks/scat and heard them a few times, and see a few different cow groups. However that summer I got my first big bull pic- who I believe to be Pinchers. Not 100% positive but fairly certain. I would get bull elk pics often but this is the only one of him from that year.

In 2017 he became a little better known.

This pic of him in Feb 2018 bugling has been my phone background all year..

Better believe I had him on my mind each time I checked cams this summer. Plenty of bulls around, but no sign of Pinchers until he showed up for a night in July and a foggy morning in early August.

November he showed up for several days at 2 different feeders, one of those times was for a long afternoon in the daylight.

I've never wanted to get an animal so bad. It took me 2 years to hunt down a Sika, and another 2 years to get a trophy Aoudad. All the while I passed incredible animals because they weren't my target. I can already see that the hunt for Pinchers is going to be long and difficult, and like other hunts I've been passing up other species trophies in pursuit of him. I've seen 4 bull elk in person in the past year or so(one shot opportunity), and now realizing how big Pinchers is- none of the other ones matter to me.

If y'all enjoy that post, maybe in a few day's I'll post up the history with one of the other bulls, Whale's Tail, that I called in earlier this year w/ a broken beam. He's now broken both of his beams..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Patton; 12-05-2018, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Great pics Patton!
      I also use timed protein feeders.The elk and aoudad wipe them out too quickly when it's freely "on-demand". If undisturbed, packs of aoudad and cow elk will just hang around the protein feeders for hours gorging themselves lol.

Comment

Guys we are on 41 between Mountain Home and The Garven Store and have been having trouble pinpointing exactly when our Whitetail rut is......any of you guys around there and have been for a while have any info for me?? We’ve only been there a few years and it still completely puzzles us.....sometimes we’d swear it was late October by what we see and then other tines it seems like later November early December??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Look who I had a chance at on a hunt north of Patton's place. He came in right at dark. Lucky for him I was in another blind...lol.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by axisbowhunter View Post
            Look who I had a chance at on a hunt north of Patton's place. He came in right at dark. Lucky for him I was in another blind...lol.

That elk gets around! Why don't yall send him my way next.

Comment

Wow! Mind sending me a PM of where exactly you were at?

Edit- now how am I supposed to get anything done this week.
              Last edited by Patton; 12-10-2018, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Wow! That’s awesome that y’all get to hunt that caliber of elk here in Texas! I hope one of y’all knock him down! Keep us updated.

Comment

PM sent Patton

Comment

You better get up to the ranch and get after him Patton! Stud of a bull!!

Comment

And now Patton is scheduling a trip to the ranch I bet haha. Good luck guys!

Comment

Comment

3 guys on my lease are headed down to our place to spend the rest of the week and the weekend there. I am less than thrilled that previous obligations keep me from going. Weather looks like it is going to be nice also.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                            3 guys on my lease are headed down to our place to spend the rest of the week and the weekend there. I am less than thrilled that previous obligations keep me from going. Weather looks like it is going to be nice also.
                            Weather looks great after Thursday. . I’m headed out Friday morning for a long weekend.

Comment

I might head down on Monday to help with some paid-hunters but I won't be able to hunt for myself until late this month. Good luck to anybody going this weekend.

Comment

Headed west tomorrow for a four day weekend. Weather looks to be pretty nice.

Saw good activity last weekend. Still haven't seen a whitetail that I was interested in yet. Killed 3 hogs and my dad killed a decent sika.

Comment

Working...
                                X