Thoughts on this 5x3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this 5x3?

He's a 5x3 and has HUGE brows. I am having a hard time deciding if he's a 4 year old or a 5 year old. I know that tine length will hurt his overall score.
    Attached Files

My thought is you should move your camera closer.
    My other thought is he old enough

Comment

Definitely old enough 5.5

Only one way to know for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Shooter

Comment

Most of the pics his legs still look kinda lanky long and lean, making me think he's no older than 4.5. Are you sure he's not 3.5? Hard to tell with the camera that far out.

Comment

I'd say smoke him!!!!!

Comment

If you are serious about managing, I wouldn't shoot that deer. Probably 4 or maybe 5. But would blow slap up next year. What most people don't get is that at 6 the deer body matures and after that all of the growth is in antlers. So mature is relative, to Most a 4 yr. old deer is a shooter, but at 4 a deer hasn't reached his maximum potential in body size and certainly not antler development.

Comment

Whack that deer.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                  My thought is you should move your camera closer.
                  My other thought is he old enough
                  Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                  Most of the pics his legs still look kinda lanky long and lean, making me think he's no older than 4.5. Are you sure he's not 3.5? Hard to tell with the camera that far out.
                  I had that camera much closer, but the tree was a victim of Harvey. Still looking for a suitable replacement that isn't 10' from the feeder.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post
                    If you are serious about managing, I wouldn't shoot that deer. Probably 4 or maybe 5. But would blow slap up next year. What most people don't get is that at 6 the deer body matures and after that all of the growth is in antlers. So mature is relative, to Most a 4 yr. old deer is a shooter, but at 4 a deer hasn't reached his maximum potential in body size and certainly not antler development.
                    I agree. However, sadly, most of the time, the guy on the other side of the fence doesn't. It all depends about your specific situation as to what bucks you should pass and let go. When I am deciding whether or not to shoot a deer, it's never "Should I shoot him?". Instead it is, "if whoever is hunting across the fence saw him, would they shoot him?"

Comment

I get that

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
                      I agree. However, sadly, most of the time, the guy on the other side of the fence doesn't. It all depends about your specific situation as to what bucks you should pass and let go. When I am deciding whether or not to shoot a deer, it's never "Should I shoot him?". Instead it is, "if whoever is hunting across the fence saw him, would they shoot him?"
                      But if you shoot him, the chances he makes it to become a giant next year are 0. If you let him slide, his chances increase dramatically. Just like the saying goes, if you are shooting a deer because "that" neighbor will shoot him if you don't, you basically become "that" neighbor. Not telling the man what to do, just giving my age opinion and you know what that is worth.

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                        Nope, I am not sure he isn't 3. As far as I can tell, I have never seen this buck but he has become a regular. Kind of why I was looking for input.

Originally posted by Christianhuff View Post

The management side of me says the fact that he is 5x3 instead of 4x4 or 5x5 makes him less desirable. But I also understand letting them age in order to reach full potential. That is why I am on the fence.

Comment

shoota

Comment

I understand the thought of since he is a 5x3 you may want to take him out, but are you sure he isnt broke off? Im sure you have other pics, but I would make sure. I would let him walk. He is about 2 years away from being a beast.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
                              I understand the thought of since he is a 5x3 you may want to take him out, but are you sure he isnt broke off? Im sure you have other pics, but I would make sure. I would let him walk. He is about 2 years away from being a beast.
                              Yes, I am sure he has not broken anything...yet. In the originals I can blow them up and zoom.

Comment

Working...
                              X