Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas Youth Hunting Program, 2016-17 Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poco,

I agree that a very important part of the weekend was seeing 4 kids that were strangers on Friday evening, leaving friends on Sunday afternoon. It was fun hearing them swap hunting stories with each other, who saw a Stag, what spooked the Axis, how they made the shot on the animal they got.

I am looking forward to this year's hunt, as much as the kids that get drawn for it. lol

Comment

MY daughter is currently 8 but will be turning 9 during the hunting season. Can she be signed up for hunts after her bday now?

Comment

Originally posted by dhillis View Post
        MY daughter is currently 8 but will be turning 9 during the hunting season. Can she be signed up for hunts after her bday now?
        Yes, she can create a Youth Account before turning 9 and apply for hunts that occur after her birthday. Just a reminder that she would need to get Hunter Ed certification prior to going on a TYHP hunt, and the minimum age for that is 9. So I would suggest finding a Hunter Ed class as soon as possible after her birthday.

Comment

Originally posted by rgb View Post
          Yes, she can create a Youth Account before turning 9 and apply for hunts that occur after her birthday. Just a reminder that she would need to get Hunter Ed certification prior to going on a TYHP hunt, and the minimum age for that is 9. So I would suggest finding a Hunter Ed class as soon as possible after her birthday.
          Thanks!!

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Back to the top.

Comment

^-------

Comment

My son went on his first TYHP hunt last season. As Poco mentioned above, we are involved for the camaraderie with other youth in camp. The ranch we hunted has tons of exotics and monster bucks. We got to watch a 180+" buck and an oryx feed, and while they were obviously not our targets it was an experience that he/we would not be able to have otherwise.

The hunt masters, land owners, and other volunteers are what truly makes these hunts an amazing experience and why we will sign up again this year and hope to be selected!

I share the TYHP story as often as I can with anybody that is interested.
                Attached Files

Comment

TTT for an amazing program.

Comment

Double-O-Dave was that hunt in Stonewall at the Superhunt by chance?

Also as a huntmaster I look forward to these hunts also.

Comment

Originally posted by doeboy11 View Post
                      Double-O-Dave was that hunt in Stonewall at the Superhunt by chance?

Also as a huntmaster I look forward to these hunts also.
                      Hi Doeboy11 - PM sent.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Thanks for all the kind comments about TYHP and great photos - we appreciate your support! Below is one of my favorite photos from this past year, a west TX aoudad hunt on which I served as a guide.

Thus far we have 35 hunts and 2 Hunter Ed/Fishing events posted on our schedule, and more are being added all the time, so please keep an eye on it:
                        You must log in to apply, hunters are drawn 30 days prior to the hunt date. You will only be notified if you are selected for the hunt. To view the calendar without an account, click on LOG IN, then click on the TWA Logo.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I got my daughter signed up and she is ready to go. Is there a way to take 2 children, even if they means I pay extra? I wasn't sure if I could sign up my boy for the same hunts, or if I need to sign up for different ones for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Incline View Post
                            I got my daughter signed up and she is ready to go. Is there a way to take 2 children, even if they means I pay extra? I wasn't sure if I could sign up my boy for the same hunts, or if I need to sign up for different ones for him.
                            My son and I attended a few TYHP hunts where more than 1 child attended. I don't know what type of financial arrangements were made, but only 1 child was allowed to hunt. The hunter was the same throughout the entire hunting period/time. In other words, you couldn't let one child hunt one day, and another one on another day. During the hunting periods, the other child or children remained in the camp. They were usually watched by one of the volunteers - usually the cook, and I don't recall any problems or complaints from anyone.

Regards,

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Incline View Post
                              It would be a much better choice to have your son apply for different hunts.

TYHP policy is that a parent/guardian can only bring 2 children on a hunt (1) with advance approval of the TYHP office, (2) if both kids are with the parent/guardian at all times, and (3) if only one firearm is taken afield. Thus it can be done, but it is really not recommended. Among the considerations would be accommodating the parent, both kids, and guide in a blind. Many hunting blinds get pretty cramped with just three people, so fitting a fourth person, even though two are kids, might not work very well. More importantly, the way this policy works is that only one kid would be the designated shooter on a hunt outing, so if you had two kids along on a weekend hunt their individual potential to be the shooter would be reduced 50%.

I will also point out here that one of our other policies is that no child is ever to be alone with any adult that is not their parent or guardian. This is similar to youth protection policies than many organizations follow, and is for the protection of both the youth and the volunteers.

Since the idea is to provide a great hunting experience for a child, plus have them spend quality afield with a parent, the best approach if you have two children is to have them apply for separate hunts. That way each child gets the maximum potential shooting opportunity, and the parent and child have each other's full attention.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I fully understand what you are saying. I will just apply for additional hunts with my boy. Wish me luck!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X