No announcement yet.

1979 Jeep CJ7 - long term refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following! I did the spray in bedliner myself with a product called raptor liner. Kit was $150 and it came with the gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks good!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Flash. The bedliner looks great. I might have to give that a try.

Comment

lookin good!

Comment

nice work

Comment

We spent most of the weekend on the old CJ7. I am anxious to have the inner tub sprayed with bedliner so we've been working towards that goal.

This weekend, we finished cutting out the driver's side floor pan and generally cleaning up the firewall. We had to remove the gas pedal to have enough room to remove and replace the driver's side floor. This also gave us the opportunity to sand and paint the gas pedal.

I'm sure some will disagree with our method for securing the replacement pans. After a lot of research, we decided to secure the new pans with automotive structural adhesive. We used Nortons Speed Grip and I am very pleased with the product and the results.

We spent an equal amount of time removing old paint from the tub. More to come...
              Attached Files

Comment

Did you decide to get it sprayed or do it yourself?

Comment

I looked at a handful of YouTube videos last night and for $500, I'm going to push the easy button. There are a couple of places in and around Katy, TX. I'm going to use Rhino liner. Its a bit thicker and a little more rubberized. One of the standards colors is a gun metal grey, which shouldn't get as hot in the dog days of summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
                    I looked at a handful of YouTube videos last night and for $500, I'm going to push the easy button. There are a couple of places in and around Katy, TX. I'm going to use Rhino liner. Its a bit thicker and a little more rubberized. One of the standards colors is a gun metal grey, which shouldn't get as hot in the dog days of summer.

Cool. Consider having them too it over the door opening a little the protect from people getting in and out. I did it on mine and it works great!! You can see it here a little in the picture. Also one more tip. Remove all your drain plugs and re install after the liner. That way they will be removable later and won't have liner over them. And pick up a box of disposable foam ear plugs to put in all the screw holes so they don't get gummed up with the liner.

Comment

Great tips Flash...Gary's on North Fry Rd in Katy has the CJ7 now and they will be doing everything you recommended. I'll post pics once we it's done and we start reinstalling the interior.

There's still a lot of debate about what to do with the exterior. It's flat black now and looks like a rat rod., which I think is kind of cool. More to come...

Comment

Originally posted by Honker View Post
                        Great tips Flash...Gary's on North Fry Rd in Katy has the CJ7 now and they will be doing everything you recommended. I'll post pics once we it's done and we start reinstalling the interior.

There's still a lot of debate about what to do with the exterior. It's flat black now and looks like a rat rod., which I think is kind of cool. More to come...

I got prices for $750 from the maaco here in Tomball to paint it in a single stage paint. For some reason I wanted base and clear. I bought the paint and dropped it off at a local mom/pop body shop and had them spray the base and clear for $1000. If I did it over again I would just drop it off at maaco and let them do their thing. I'm my case it's a jeep and I plan on using it as one. Messing up the paint is inevitable.

I thought about going the bedliner route. The cons out weighed the pros for me. It makes the jeep heavier, holds the dirt, fades in the sun, makes bodywork and repairs more difficult, and it was pricey.

If I did the maaco thing I could have the jeep repainted ever 4-5 years and after 10 years it would still be cheaper than getting it bedlinered.

Comment

Man...your advice couldn't be more timely.

A friend of a friend owns the Maaco shop in Pasadena and he's a great guy. He just quoted me $750 for a single stage, urethane paint job. The CJ will never be a show car and I don't want to spend an arm and leg. I think we'll go with the single stage in white and then have a lot of the accessories stay black.

I appreciate your input...its been helpful.

Comment

Me and Dad have a 1979 CJ7 too. The thing is a tank. Have fun

Comment

We dropped off the CJ at Gary's on N. Fry last week to have the tub sprayed with bedliner. I told them we weren't in a hurry and they took me seriously. We'll post some pics when we get her back...hopefully later this week.

Comment

Following. Awesome build.

Comment

Working...
                                X