Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gingib View Post
    What is your plan for fall planting?
    I haven't put together my specific planting program yet but it will follow what I have been doing the last several years.In the larger fields that I double crop with summer legumes I will go with elbon rye 100 lbs/acre, radishes 2-3 lbs acre, maybe a few turnips and in some of the fields I will add crimson also.

For the clover fields I'll just drill 50 lbs/acre wheat. All the clover fields have plenty of chicory. I may 'sweeten' some clover fields that are thinning out with a little extra clover, mostly durana. Thought I might plant a little arrow leaf in one fields thats well drained .

Here is an experiment I'm trying. I cleaned a few acres up in a couple of strategic spots and planted straight radishes at 15/lbs acre late July. Unfortunately they have missed all the rains and its still really hot. Nonetheless I'm getting some germination and growth. Thought it might be interesting to see how attractive it is early season??????

Comment

OOOPs pic didn't post. Here you go
      Attached Files

Comment

Farm living can be a bit rough sometimes. Was doing a cocktail safari with a friend yesterday and had a catastrophic failure where the wheel came off. I guess too many miles on rough ranch and farm roads. Mechanic said hub failed which put all the weight on the lugs which then sheered them I'm no mechanic but what I do know is wife and I had gone to the gym that morning driving 70 and I'm very happy the failure didn't happen then. There was no shimmy, vibration, wobble...nothing. The truck just dropped and the wheel rolled away .

Might be time for a new truck.Dang, it only has 130,000 miles on it.
        Attached Files

Comment

Yikes. That could of ended really badly. Glad nobody was hurt.

Comment

I suppose one deer photo is in order. 5 yr old
            Attached Files

Comment

Rusty, have you done any of the planting on the river? What do you think works best there?

Comment

Originally posted by triple_duece View Post
                Rusty, have you done any of the planting on the river? What do you think works best there?
                MS. River up in Tensas? The property manager up there plants essentially the same summer and winter mixes I use. With that terrific soil everything grows extremely well. Only problem is the annual flooding which can last months.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  MS. River up in Tensas? The property manager up there plants essentially the same summer and winter mixes I use. With that terrific soil everything grows extremely well. Only problem is the annual flooding which can last months.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I’m in tensas but outside the levee. I don’t flood, and yes the soil is great just hard to deal with. Since I don’t live there and get a chance to work it, usually it’s dry as a bone and cracked deeply or like gumbo mud. Seems I’m never there when conditions are best.

So the real question since I’m limited on tractor usage is this. I used to plant but watch deer eating the native grasses over my plots. I have resorted to just cutting and reseeding in ladino clover. Last year my deer stayed out eating, almost like I was visiting a zoo. I plan on reseeding (broadcasting) without tilling. One thing that I did notice is that my clover was eaten down and the cold weather knocked it back also. So I just top seed winter wheat or elbon rye? Would tilling my plots be counter productive with the clover I have planted? Here is some pics from April. Keep in mind that I’m sure it doesn’t look like this with the heat and not cutting during the summer (crp land). Usually have a good stand of Johnson grass and other grasses but my clover comes in good if I could cut it soon. Any advise is appreciated.

Comment

Farm living can be a bit rough sometimes. Was doing a cocktail safari with a friend yesterday and had a catastrophic failure where the wheel came off. I guess too many miles on rough ranch and farm roads. Mechanic said hub failed which put all the weight on the lugs which then sheered them I'm no mechanic but what I do know is wife and I had gone to the gym that morning driving 70 and I'm very happy the failure didn't happen then. There was no shimmy, vibration, wobble...nothing. The truck just dropped and the wheel rolled away .

Dang!!!! Yep, that could have been Bad!!!
                    Glad everyone is ok.
                    Still loving this thread.

Comment

Something for a Friday afternoon. Saw him last year when he only had one fork but was still noteworthy.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Something for a Friday afternoon. Saw him last year when he only had one fork but was still noteworthy.
                        AWESOME on a hot August afternoon!!!!

Comment

Wanna guess which one we will try to shoot this year?
                          Attached Files

Comment

I'm guessing the big 6 is scheduled for a dirt nap

Good looking deer as always

Comment

Im glad you are confident in age because i would kill that double tine, freak kickered, crazy beamed, massive tine length sucker ..Opening day!

Comment

I think you can replace the front hub for just a little under the price of a new truck

Comment

Working...
                                X