X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh shat! That looks dam good!!

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
      Hey Jason, what do you season with in the pressure cooker and how long do you cook it for? Looks good man.
      For a 5lbs shoulder/butt i used

-2tbls of salt
      -1tbls of fresh cracked black pepper
      -2tbls of cumin
      -2tbls of chili powder ( i used both ancho and light chili powder, 1 tbls of each)
      -2tbls of garlic powder
      -1/2tsp of cinnamon

Im using a 22quart presto pressure cooker so it's kinda big which mean i have put enough cooking liquid in it to last entire time it cooks. In the pressure cooker i put:

-6cups of chicken stock
      -10 cloves of garlic
      -1 onion chopped
      -spoon full of black pepper corns
      -2 bay leaves

Cook at high pressure for an 1hr 40min. The rule of thumb for thick cuts of meat or roast seems to be 20min/lb.

Alot of the things you put in the pressure cooker is for aromatics and some flavor but i feel like it loses some flavor because of the cooking process. Thats why i shred the meat, season it again and then put in a hot pan with 2-3tbls of oil to crisp it up. (On the 2nd round of season i didn't put the cinnamon on it.)

Comment

Looks good

Comment

I'm gonna try this

Comment

>> I put a little bit of oil in a cast iron pan and put the seasoned shredded meat in the pan. I cook it until it crisps up just a bit. <<

This is a game changer for any meat from a pressure cooker or crockpot! I like to use a little lard instead of oil.

Hand-made tortillas. Wow! That's labor intensive but I'm sure it's well worth the effort.

Comment

that looks fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by Lost Arra View Post
                >> I put a little bit of oil in a cast iron pan and put the seasoned shredded meat in the pan. I cook it until it crisps up just a bit. <<

This is a game changer for any meat from a pressure cooker or crockpot! I like to use a little lard instead of oil.

Hand-made tortillas. Wow! That's labor intensive but I'm sure it's well worth the effort.
                Definitely a game changer! And the lard would be better for adding more flavor. Yea the handmade corn tortillas were tough to make. I had to use saran wrap and a rolling pen to get a round tortilla. But they were GOOD!

Comment

Looks amazing.

Comment

looks amazing!!

Comment

Looks great! I do something similar in a crockpot. Reminds me that I have one hind quarter left in the freezer and now I know what I’m going to do with it,

Comment

I smoked wild pork this weekend. After smoking I Cut it into manageable pieces and put in the instapot for 45 mins on high with some barbeque sauce. I don't put much sauce in which is good because we are making enchiladas tonight with it.

I will be trying the skillet and oil on my next one! Yours looks great!

Comment

Looks amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                            Yea the handmade corn tortillas were tough to make. I had to use saran wrap and a rolling pen to get a round tortilla. But they were GOOD!
                            Recipe sounds great. A lot like my carnitas recipe (minus the citrus component). I use the same twice-cooked method to crisp it up.

I know this is old but figured i'd add... Grandma only rolls flour tortillas. Traditionally, corn tortillas are pressed. Would go a whole lot faster and makes tortillas of uniform shape/thickness.

"A Tortilla press is a mechanical contraption used to make tortillas. It?s also known as ?Tortilladora? or ?Prensa para tortillas? and it can either be metal or wooden. It has a base, top and handle used to make the corn tortillas, by placing the ball of dough in the center of the press, apply pressure and the dough is flattened into a perfect, round flat tortilla. Metal presses are used to make corn tortillas only, Flour tortillas are normally rolled thin with a wood rolling pin."

Tortilla Press Cooking Utensils at MexGrocer.com

Hope all is well, bud.
                            Last edited by BlackHogDown; 03-19-2020, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Good looking tacos!

Comment

Made this yesterday for supper and it was a big hit!!! Used a hog ham instead of shoulder and it was just as tasty. Will be making more of this.

Comment

Working...
                                X