Homegrown quail project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homegrown quail project

Over the last year, my wife, two of our sons, and I have began a quail raising project. We began with 8 layers, and then expanded to 21. We’ve been pickling eggs, then incubating and hatching them, and today we butchered 27 of our first quail produced for meat. Has been good for the boys (14 & 13) and for us and we love the pickled eggs and are looking forward to the meat.
    Grow your own food.... God is good....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is really awesome! Good For You. I'm gonna look at doing the same when we get our homestead established in Llano. What types of Quail? Where did you get them from? Man i got so many questions i feel i could pick your brain for hours.

Comment

Originally posted by LlanoHunter10 View Post
      That is really awesome! Good For You. I'm gonna look at doing the same when we get our homestead established in Llano. What types of Quail? Where did you get them from? Man i got so many questions i feel i could pick your brain for hours.

We started with Cortunix quail. They are excellent egg layers. We just butchered these at 6 weeks old and they have been laying eggs for a week already. It’s really a cheap endeavor as you can have birds from hatch to laying eggs or ready to butcher in 6 weeks and a $14 bag of feed can support 60+ birds for a month. We have a dozen ATM White quail now and just hatched our first one of those. They are producing eggs consistently now so we will switch to those for meat production because they are literally 3X larger than the Cortunix but are slower to lay. We are learning as we go, but it’s been a cheap and fun project so far. The pickled eggs are easy to make and right now we are picking 100+ eggs every week. It helps that my brother has an incubator because domestic quail won’t sit or hatch their own eggs, but we have a system down now to where we will butcher 24-30 quail every 6-7 weeks and still pickle 100+ eggs a week all for a total maintenance cost of less than $25 per month. Not too bad of return on our investment and it’s teaching the boys a ton. We are happy....

Comment

I do the same thing with coturnix quail. They are pretty easy to raise. I recently tried to hatch pheasant. Ended up with a few but nothing like hatching quail. I may try chukar next.

Comment

I dont know about the pickled eggs, but raising a set of quail for butchering is great. Good eating and like you said, cheap to raise. Not to mention easy to butcher. Heat water to 155, dip in two or three times and theyre easy pealing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I raised and sold the White A&M quail for a while as well as the brown Courtinex. They are pretty cool little birds.
            I built custom Live Traps for Bobcats, coons coyotes etc... and when I would give away 2 white quail with each trap the people would come spend $300 for a trap a lot faster. Not sure where they all went to.

Comment

I raised Coturnix for about a year. I built a incubator out of an old ice chest per a you tube video. Ordered 36 eggs out of Louisiana and put them on the incubator. 28 hatched which was way more quail that I was expecting. They grow fast and are easy to care for. Love quail eggs for breakfast. When I move to the country in a few years I will raise them again.

Comment

That's good stuff for the kids, my son and I do the same as you but with chickens and turkeys also. He's only 5 and already loves butchering birds. Clean a quail, slice open each breast, slide in a sliver of jalapeno and crwam cheese then wrap it with bacon and right to the smoker. Good stuff.

Comment

Lets see some pictures of your setup. Ive been wanting to do this for a while. Just unsure on their pen requirements and such

Comment

Following for pictures of set up...I've always wanted to do this but have never had the space. We will soon though!

Comment

This is awesome. Wife wants chickens but this seems to be a better fit for us. Like several people stated, I’d like to see pics of your set up.

Comment

If I can get home before dark today I will get some pics, if not, it will be Thursday before I can take some, but I will post ASAP.

Comment

Tagged.

Comment

Pickled quail eggs make some nasty farts. Love me some mesquite grilled quail bird.

Comment

Awesome! I put off my jewelry box project to put together a quail hutch. We got 12 eggs in the incubator, and just need to put the wire on and a door.

Comment

Working...
                              X