No announcement yet.

Broke out the old LX yesterday - still shoots better than me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if TBH could remove the home page topic feed for the Traditional forum, and how many would think it a good idea?

Seems to me it would head off a lot of unnecessary conflict.

Rick

P.S.
    I started to say - "Seems to me it would head off a lot of unnecessary conflict for the technologically challenged."

Decided against it, because I figured to many folks wouldn't see it as the friendly joke it was intended as.

Comment

My smart phone goes straight to the trad forum. I came from compound. I have seen the light! Not inefficient or unethical. More rewarding. Just the look on a coupound guys face when he see's your kill is priceless. I went from a gun to a compound for that rewarding feeling, now it's the trad bow. Who knows, maybe an atlatle next!

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
        I wonder if TBH could remove the home page topic feed for the Traditional forum, and how many would think it a good idea?

Seems to me it would head off a lot of unnecessary conflict.

Rick

P.S.
        I started to say - "Seems to me it would head off a lot of unnecessary conflict for the technologically challenged."

Decided against it, because I figured to many folks wouldn't see it as the friendly joke it was intended as.

All forums of any kind can't avoid heated debates at times, it's the nature of the beast, nothing wrong with a discussion that gets ya fired up

And by the way I feel like a better more complete archer after switching to mainly my recurve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
          All forums of any kind can't avoid heated debates at times, it's the nature of the beast, nothing wrong with a discussion that gets ya fired up

And by the way I feel like a better more complete archer after switching to mainly my recurve

Yeah. I was just trying to think outside the box. Lots of times the confusion, and resulting conflict is due to not knowing where you are.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
            Yeah. I was just trying to think outside the box. Lots of times the confusion, and resulting conflict is due to not knowing where you are.

Rick

I agree, I think it's the Tapatalk feature where whatever is the most recent post that thread is at the top of the news feed forum, a lot of folks do end up at the wrong place, I see it quite a bit on here and archery talk

Comment

A compound is excessively more energy effective, pound for pound in draw weight, to any trad bow.

If I were still shooting it on a regular basis I guarantee i could consistently out shoot the vast majority of any of you at extended ranges if i were shooting my compound and you shooting your trad bow. That's wth my broken up body and half blind eyes.

That said all of the different factors must be taken into account. Like Bisch states it's more about the shooter than what they shoot.

I know guys who have never paper tuned, walk back tuned, broadhead tuned or did anything other than half *** sight in their $1200 high end compound, screw on a Rage head and go hunt.

I also have seen trad guys shoot arrows that wobbled like crazy getting to the target and looled like they weren't tuned as well.

I don't think there's any room for pointing fingers.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Extended ranges don't mean squat when it comes to trad hunting! That's like saying I could pull out my scoped deer rifle and beat any of you compounders at 150yds!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Exactly Bisch but bullying the rifle shooter because he doesn't respect your discipline doesn't make one right. Just self righteous.

Comment

cbd10pt (maybe some others too) misinterpreted my stab at a joking jab.

That lead to opening a whole can of worms due to the derogatory ethics comment pointed at the trad shooters, and he was obviously NOT joking.

Generally, here in this forum - If ya don't bring none, there won't be none. It might help to keep that in mind.

Last but not least - This is the Traditional Forum.
                    Might help to remember that too.
                    You don't have to like it, but it would be good practice to respect it.

Rick

Comment

Broke out the old LX yesterday - still shoots better than me

I had no issues with the OP shooting his wheel bow. I pretty much believe "to each his own". But when somebody comes on here and tries to imply that trad hunting is unethical, I have a problem with that. I hung out in an archery shop nearly 5 days a week for hours each day, for almost all of the last 5 years. I have personally witnessed many wheel bow guys shoot that have no business bowhunting. I have also seen a lot of trad shooters who have no business hunting. It is not the equipment, it is the ability, or lack thereof, that makes doing it ethical or not, and that varies from person to person.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        I had no issues with the OP shooting his wheel bow. I pretty much believe "to each his own". But when somebody comes on here and tries to imply that trad hunting is unethical, I have a problem with that. I hung out in an archery shop nearly 5 days a week for hours each day, for almost all of the last 5 years. I have personally witnessed many wheel bow guys shoot that have no business bowhunting. I have also seen a lot of trad shooters who have no business hunting. It is not the equipment, it is the ability, or lack thereof, that makes doing it ethical or not, and that varies from person to person.

Bisch

Perzactly.

Comment

Really? I used to hang on the rifle range several afternoons a week. Saw a ton of guys shooting in their deer rifles. Far too many had trouble hitting a 6" swinging gong from a bench rest at a 100 yards much less a deer off hand. Some had the wrong ammo. Some the scopes weren't tightened down. Heck a buddy bought AR15 last year and he had the scope mounted at the place he bought the gun. It was installed backwards by the gun shop he bought it at. Not everyone is an expert at what they do.

This thread went from addressing a guy making a bad comment about ethics to a bashing of a forum member. In it we took a guy working on going traditional and insulted him for sharing an experience as well. Poor JB hasn't posted on this thread since his apology for starting a ruckus.

And Bisch my comparison of shooting my compound to most folks with a recurve was a direct response to some comments made earlier.

There are people out there who are exceptional at what they do. LeBron is a generational talent at Bball. Byron Furgeson most of us will never be but that doesn't make us unworthy of shooting a trad bow, having an opinion, or even valid knowledge and experience.

I accept that traditional equipment has limitations modern bows can exceed. Denying the physics of the matter doesn't change the reality.
                          What I accept, nay embrace, more is that I am much more limited with traditional equipment than I am with a modern compound due to the fact that it is more difficult to master than a modern compound. That I have to work harder and shoot more to be an efficient and ethical hunter with it.
                          But I'm a bowhunter with whatever bow I shoot.

Today it was my Widow.

Last edited by DRT; 07-15-2017, 09:52 PM. Reason: 8

Comment

Yesterday I was visiting a local bow shop by the airport... This guy come strolling in looking somewhat lost and a little impressed. It was very obvious that he does not get to town much. He stated "his wife's plane got delayed". The proprietor of the shop asked if he would like to shoot while he waited. The fellow gratefully accepted the offer.

The proprietor was somewhat surprised when the man asked for a recurve. He gathered the fellow a handful of arrows that appeared to be wood but they were the carbons that look like wood. He came out with a recurve that looked to be the at least the age of the fellow.

The man began shooting, he did not seem to be intimidated by the compound guys at all. It did not take long for the compound guys to notice the very tight groups of the stranger in their shop shooting a borrowed recurve with likely unmatched arrows.

We all learned something yesterday... Be nice to everyone, you may just make a new friend.

Comment

Holy Training Wheels and Struggle Sticks. I am amazed at how far this thread has gone off the rails. I don't understand what all the fuss is about. I literally take three bows with me every time I go to the lease. Longbow, Recurve, and compound, I shoot a Onieda when bow fishing and as soon as I finish building my self bow Ill take that to the woods too. I agree that the Less Ethical statement was out of line but he has clarified his intended meaning for the statement. Why cant we just move on?

Comment

Yikes, this one was entertaining lol.

Really it's all the same, the only difference is getting closer. Just like you have to hunt harder with a compound then a rifle.

I shot both compound and trad until this year, which I switched to all trad in April. So far it's been about equally effective, it just takes more time to get it done is all.

Comment

Working...
                                X