Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JES View Post
    You still planning to sit all day?

Ya I’ve been sitting all day and it’s been raining ALL DAY lol. Saw two nice three year olds about 11. Just too young. Decided to move to a location on the side of a hill over looking a big draw. Can see a big scrape with lots of rubs around. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1641.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	24518786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1640.jpg
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	24518787

Comment

Ended up switching stands last minute. Had two does feeding about 100 yards off for 20 minutes or so. About 30 minutes before dark caught movement in the same area thinking is was a doe again. Finally caught movement of horns and realized it was a huge buck. Snort weezed at him and he came straight to me but the wind shifted and he bolted. Changing things up tomorrow and going to a duck blind in the morning on the Mississippi.

Comment

Illinois Live

Deer movement picked up today. Snort wheezed a giant in yesterday only to have him catch my wind after it shifted. Went duck hunting this morning on the Mississippi. One of the coolest hunting experiences of my life. Going back again in the morning then hitting the woods in the afternoon. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1651.jpg
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	24518906Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1652.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	24518907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1653.jpg
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	24518908Click image for larger version

Name:	53228165899__8011F271-9A03-4943-8E7B-7DAD24B639E2.jpg
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	24518909Click image for larger version

Name:	53228448744__8A4CEB22-2AD8-4947-B0E1-28133E855B17.jpg
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	24518910

Comment

Looks like fun!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Bruce and I are trying something different as well. Morning movement has been almost non existent so we are going to have a good breakfast, fix a sandwich and head out mid morning.
              It's cloudy and windy but if things aren't working you've got to change something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Duck hunting the Mississippi looks like a good time!

Comment

Good little shoot today. Not many birds flying but the ones we did have worked a lot better for us.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	24518964 also saw two deer swim across the river. Took a video but can’t get it to upload. Was a pretty cool thing to see. Headed back now to change and hit the woods.

Comment

Bruce and i hunted from 10:30 until dark but no shooters were seen. The duck hunter showed up this afternoon half prepared and in a post duck hunt glow and got it done on an Illinois Buck. I'll let him give the story and pics.

Comment

It was the most memorable day of hunting I’ve ever had. Got on my first mallards today then had an awesome afternoon hunt in the deer woods. After getting back from duck hunting around 1:30 I got to the house and changed and was able to get out there about 2:00. I decided to leave my frame pack because it was getting pretty heavy from carrying it every day this week so I just grabbed my flash light and grunt call. At first I went up a hill overlooking a creek bottom that had a lean too up against a big oak. I didn’t like it because it had a big tree limb that covered up the main shooting lane. I didn’t have a saw to cut the limb because I left my pack and after and unsuccessful attempt at breaking the limb I decided to hunt another stand in a bottom next to a corn field. About a hour before dark I heard a buck grunt coming from my left towards the corn field. I tried grunting back but after 10-15 minutes nothing came in. About 4:15 I heard another long grunt coming from the same direction. Sunset is 4:50 and shooting light ends 20 after. I decided at 4:30 I’d climb down and hike up to the edge of the field to see if anything was still around. I walked up the four wheeler path to the top and already saw four does on the adjacent property in the corn field. I got down and crawled below some tall grass to a small tree about 10 yards off the path to the right. The fence that separated our property from the neighbors was 30 yards in front of me. At this point I can see roughly a dozen does out in the field. I decided just to sit still and watch to see if I could get lucky enough for a doe to jump over. As I was watching I noticed a buck on the back side of all the does. He started walking towards me about 80 yards out pushing a doe. I picked up my grunt call and gave a short grunt then snort wheezed at him. He threw his head up and here he came. He got to the fence line and started pacing back and forth. I thought “there is no way this dude is jumping the fence”. About that time he hopped it and was 25 yards from me staring my direction. At this point it was getting dark so I knew he couldn’t make me out. At one point he turned to look away and when I went to draw he caught me 1/4 draw. He then started stomping at me trying to get me to budge. I stayed still and just a few seconds later he turned his head back to leave and turned completely broadside and at that moment I came to full draw. I settled my pin on his heart and he dropped right into it. He jumped the fence and never made it out of the field. A memory and hunt I’ll always have with me. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	24518993Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	24518994

Comment

Originally posted by plentl65 View Post
                        It was the most memorable day of hunting I’ve ever had. Got on my first mallards today then had an awesome afternoon hunt in the deer woods. After getting back from duck hunting around 1:30 I got to the house and changed and was able to get out there about 2:00. I decided to leave my frame pack because it was getting pretty heavy from carrying it every day this week so I just grabbed my flash light and grunt call. At first I went up a hill overlooking a creek bottom that had a lean too up against a big oak. I didn’t like it because it had a big tree limb that covered up the main shooting lane. I didn’t have a saw to cut the limb because I left my pack and after and unsuccessful attempt at breaking the limb I decided to hunt another stand in a bottom next to a corn field. About a hour before dark I heard a buck grunt coming from my left towards the corn field. I tried grunting back but after 10-15 minutes nothing came in. About 4:15 I heard another long grunt coming from the same direction. Sunset is 4:50 and shooting light ends 20 after. I decided at 4:30 I’d climb down and hike up to the edge of the field to see if anything was still around. I walked up the four wheeler path to the top and already saw four does on the adjacent property in the corn field. I got down and crawled below some tall grass to a small tree about 10 yards off the path to the right. The fence that separated our property from the neighbors was 30 yards in front of me. At this point I can see roughly a dozen does out in the field. I decided just to sit still and watch to see if I could get lucky enough for a doe to jump over. As I was watching I noticed a buck on the back side of all the does. He started walking towards me about 80 yards out pushing a doe. I picked up my grunt call and gave a short grunt then snort wheezed at him. He threw his head up and here he came. He got to the fence line and started pacing back and forth. I thought “there is no way this dude is jumping the fence”. About that time he hopped it and was 25 yards from me staring my direction. At this point it was getting dark so I knew he couldn’t make me out. At one point he turned to look away and when I went to draw he caught me 1/4 draw. He then started stomping at me trying to get me to budge. I stayed still and just a few seconds later he turned his head back to leave and turned completely broadside and at that moment I came to full draw. I settled my pin on his heart and he dropped right into it. He jumped the fence and never made it out of the field. A memory and hunt I’ll always have with me. [ATTACH]883080[/ATTACH][ATTACH]883081[/ATTACH]

What a day, can’t beat that! Congrats. Great job

Comment

Great recap. Thanks for that and congrats on a great buck!

Comment

Originally posted by plentl65 View Post
                            Deer movement picked up today. Snort wheezed a giant in yesterday only to have him catch my wind after it shifted. Went duck hunting this morning on the Mississippi. One of the coolest hunting experiences of my life. Going back again in the morning then hitting the woods in the afternoon. [ATTACH]882871[/ATTACH][ATTACH]882872[/ATTACH][ATTACH]882873[/ATTACH][ATTACH]882874[/ATTACH][ATTACH]882875[/ATTACH]

Brushing blinds with pine trees so rhe beavers don't eat them!! Done that!!! Had one a mile from shore we had to use pine on because they ate every piece of willow off it the first night!!

Comment

Well done nephew! Lol

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Any luck this am?

Comment

Working...
                                X