No announcement yet.

Another Knife Attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are some others that I finished yesterday afternoon. I decided I like polishing and finishing much more than hollow grinding the blade.

Only problem is, the polisher takes the edg off of them. What kind of sharpener do most pf you kive builder use, or do you even bother sharpening, and let the customer do the sharpening?

Comment

I put some of these up before, but I finally got em finished. Some with mirror finishes, and some with satin finishes.

Comment

Sharpening is the very last thing I do before it goes out the door. All polishing, etc. is done before the knife is sharp. IMO, if you're going to sell a knife, it had better arrive able to shave hair.

Comment

thats what I was thinking, but the sharpener I have is hard to use without running the risk of scarring the finish. What kind of sharpener do you use?

Comment

I've pretty much gone to sharpening free hand on my belt grinder. 160 grit belt, then 400 grit belt, then 600 and 1000 stones, then strop.
            I used a Lansky alot back in the day, worked OK.

Comment

Nice, looks good!

Comment

it does look very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Fry View Post
                  I've pretty much gone to sharpening free hand on my belt grinder. 160 grit belt, then 400 grit belt, then 600 and 1000 stones, then strop.
                  I used a Lansky alot back in the day, worked OK.
                  You ever use diamond steels?

Whats a Lansky? Is that a brand name?

Comment

Here is my first attempt at using pins. I think it turned out OK until I decided to lacquer it. Im gonna have to sand the lacqer and try it again. Had some contamination in the final coat.

Comment

Got another question. I just finished one that I would like to put bolsters on. What should I use for silver bolsters, and where can I get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyhuck View Post
                        Got another question. I just finished one that I would like to put bolsters on. What should I use for silver bolsters, and where can I get it?
                        Jantz has what you need and they take Paypal
                        Here's the link.

Find all your quality knife making supplies from Damascus steel for blades, handle materials, tools and more. Jantz also has knife making kits available with a low price guarantee.

Comment

Cant see it at work (filtered), but Ill look at it when I get home. Thanks.

Comment

So, do I just by one of the preshaped bolster sets and reshape it to my knife? How hard is stainless to shape?

Comment

Lansky is a brand of knife sharpener that has a jig to clamp on the blade to set the angle and different coarseness stones. They're an amazon.com.

Comment

i like it!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X