Matador WMA draw hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
    Not to hijack but didn't want to start another thread. My son and I drew the anterless hunt. Dec. 16-20. Any info you guys can share would be appreciated!
    Following this thread also. My brother and I lucked out and were also picked on the secondary draw for GDA on Dec. 16-20.

Comment

Originally posted by NDN98 View Post
      Following this thread also. My brother and I lucked out and were also picked on the secondary draw for GDA on Dec. 16-20.
      Awesome! I'm sure we'll bump into each other up there somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
        Awesome! I'm sure we'll bump into each other up there somewhere.
        I'm sure we will bump into each other. We will be 2 bald headed brother with beards that will most likely be in a white Tundra or silver F150.

Comment

Lucky dawg!

Depends on what you want to do, but cool thing about that country is opportunity to hunt spot and stalk on mule deer. That don't come around often for most folks.

I would suggest west side. Samson, West Aermotor, Sisk Pen, East Aermotor, Lone Canyon, in that order.

Find a high point looking at some topography with good visibility up and down a canyon and opposite slope. Sun at back. Go for max vis while staying hid. Stay put. Don't shy away from open country. Most guys chase thick brush, don't.

Arrive well before daylight with lunch and water. Good binos and spotting scope for antler restriction. Don't trust just your eyes. They're really hard to see if in shadow but shine like new penny when hit with early AM or late PM sun. Stay put till you see something worthy of stalk. Watch him long enough to determine direction. Pick a landmark where you should be able to find him again, get there quick using topo as cover. Relocate him, determine direction and get in front to set up intercept. Watch wind, blah, blah, blah, you get the routine. If you see him bed, woohoo! But not likely in that country. Go fast when you can, molasses when you must.

Swap location for late afternoon sun at back. Or since stalking daylight may be limiting, you could sit on a fence crossing, a saddle, or water hole if hot and dry. I never saw any deer sitting with only visibility of bow range, but know a few guys that did. Just not my thing especially in such beautiful open country.

Finally, resist urge to sit on hill above river. Will definitely see deer, but once you get down there you don't have a prayer of getting on them.

Getting excited talking about it. Highly suggest posting a live hunt. Please, please please!

Comment

In case you didn't find map.

Download aerial photo on phone. Then download app called Avenza. I don't know if the pdf aerial is georefrenced or not. Has to be to work with Avenza.

Comment

I was selected for Matador on the 16th as well and looking forward to it; less than three weeks now!

Comment

Originally posted by ShakyBow View Post
                I was selected for Matador on the 16th as well and looking forward to it; less than three weeks now!

Good deal! You staying at the camp ground there or in town?

Comment

Originally posted by krausejmk View Post
                  Good deal! You staying at the camp ground there or in town?
                  I will be staying there in camp; we should be selecting our compartments soon. I called last month and was told we will be contacted in early Oct. to select them according to the order we were drawn.

Comment

I will be staying there in camp; we should be selecting our compartments soon. I called last month and was told we will be contacted in early Oct. to select them according to the order we were drawn.

I was wondering about that. We will be in the area that allows the generators. Have you ever hunted here before?

Comment

I was wondering about that. We will be in the area that allows the generators. Have you ever hunted here before?
                      I have not; actually, this is my first draw hunt I have been selected for.

Comment

I have not; actually, this is my first draw hunt I have been selected for.

Same here, have you heard from them yet about selecting our units? I haven't

Comment

Same here, have you heard from them yet about selecting our units? I haven't
                          I was wondering the same as I have not heard anything either; will probably reach back out again just to check in. Tearing this target block up helps with the anxiety

Comment

If it was like it was four years ago, you don't select your units until the orientation. In 2013 we had permit numbers (mine was #1) and we went in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by grizzman View Post
                              If it was like it was four years ago, you don't select your units until the orientation. In 2013 we had permit numbers (mine was #1) and we went in that order.
                              Thanks Grizzman; you are correct. I followed back up and and confirmed; we will select compartments according to drawing order on Monday. Only advantages to arriving earlier is to set up camp and socialize.

Comment

Thanks Grizzman; you are correct. I followed back up and and confirmed; we will select compartments according to drawing order on Monday. Only advantages to arriving earlier is to set up camp and socialize.

We will be there around noon Sunday probably. I was hoping they would let us scout Sunday afternoon but it's. if looking like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X