Another stand and fill feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another stand and fill feeder

Found some free time this weekend to build a new feeder. Found the barrel in the scrap pile, ammo box and motor I had already, scrap metal for the leg stubs. Only parts bought have been The-Timer and a new battery.
    The piece cut off to make the opening to fill is used as a sling plate/hopefull coon deterrent. May have to adjust the opening some, it's a knock off of another stand and fill design.
    I'll add some short pipe legs to bring it up some when it goes to the field.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Cool build !!!!

Comment

Good job

Comment

Nice "rat rod feeder"

Comment

Looking good! How big is the barrel?

Comment

Thanks guys,
            It will get a rattle can paint job, legs and solar panel before it's all said and done. Thought I might clarify: the large plate on bottom only serves to direct the corn out and away from the feeder. Spinner plate is in the center.

The barrel is 60 gallons.
            Also, any suggestions?

Comment

love it snap some more pictures, would like to see how you did the lid

Comment

Looks pretty stout

Comment

Very Cool! If it's bolted, could you flip the bottom plate so the corn falls off of the round side instead of catching inside like a bowl...
                  Made me one from an old air tank too and it's working great...

Comment

I wound up finding a half can of oil base paint for it and got it painted, still no lid but probably going to use a plow disc with the center hole welded up. Used them in the past on 55 gal drums with great success.

Black Gold: I appreciate the idea. I am going to try to make it so that the bottom plate hugs the bottom of the barrel, so that a coon can't reach his arm in there to spin the spinner plate. Since both the bottom of the barrel and the bottom plate are both curved and follow the same lines, I'm hoping it will work.

I've seen the design before, and is a poor design when trying to spin protein pellets, I'm hoping I'll have better luck with corn.
                    I tried it out last night, everything works but definitely need to get it off the ground some. And also close up that gap at the spinner.

Comment

Find a way to lock down the Ammo box lid. The coons will figure out how to open it and rip all your electronics out!

Comment

[QUOTE=criddle;12414932]

Black Gold: I appreciate the idea. I am going to try to make it so that the bottom plate hugs the bottom of the barrel, so that a coon can't reach his arm in there to spin the spinner plate. Since both the bottom of the barrel and the bottom plate are both curved and follow the same lines, I'm hoping it will work.

With it dished like a bowl, it will catch corn and then water will run down the side of the drum and fill the bowl. Wet corn is about as bad as wet ashes for rusting out steel..... it will also rust the feeder parts. I'd try to flip it if I was you.

Comment

[quote=Black Gold;12415342]
                          Originally posted by criddle View Post

With it dished like a bowl, it will catch corn and then water will run down the side of the drum and fill the bowl. Wet corn is about as bad as wet ashes for rusting out steel..... it will also rust the feeder parts. I'd try to flip it if I was you.
                          ^^^ This, flip that puppy

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I plan on flipping the plate tonight. Feeder quit on me yesterday, I'll have to check that old motor.

Comment

Got some tinkering done.
                              Ditched the bottom plate, had the timer replaced, and after a light shower showed how much water would run down into the control box.... I added a bead of silicone to the rim to turn the water away.
                              Going to have to add a cage of some sort eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X