Question for those that have hunted South Africa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sec View Post
    One other question if you don't mind. Did you have to get any vaccines to go to South Africa?
    None required for S. Africa but certainly there are recommendations. I recall Hep A & B, typhoid and flu. May be others. Also have you tetanus up to date and have your doctor prescribe antibiotic for you to bring just in case (cipro etc).

Comment

Originally posted by RR 314 View Post
      None required for S. Africa but certainly there are recommendations. I recall Hep A & B, typhoid and flu. May be others. Also have you tetanus up to date and have your doctor prescribe antibiotic for you to bring just in case (cipro etc).
      Accurate advice... I would only add to check with your outfitter if you are in high or low risk area for malaria. Most all of the provinces of RSA are relatively low risk especially in the dry winter months of May-September. The greatest risk areas are typically closer to the border with Kruger National Park. However, heavier than normal Fall rains last season had malaria in areas of the Limpopo and North West that usually never see it. Check with your outfitter and evaluate the risk for yourself. If you do decide on taking a prophylactic malarial medication, Malarone is the best overall malarial drug available currently.

Otherwise, as stated by RR 314, no other vaccinations are required, but Hepatitis A & B, and a tetanus booster are a good idea especially if you are going to be traveling around the country outside of the outfitter. It's also a good idea to take a good probiotic starting a couple of weeks before and during your visit. It greatly helps with the body's adjustment to new bacteria and may keep you from getting the traveler's squirts!

Comment

Thanks
        We are staying one night at Africa Sky’s guest house and the rest of the time will be at Dries Visser’s lodge.

Comment

I’d ask your doctor about vaccines, malaria medication, etc. I took malaria medication when I went, but I was also going into other malaria prone countries directly afterward visiting South Africa. Be careful with that stuff. Certain kinds of maleria medication can give you some weird dreams and I’ve heard a horror story or two about it it messing with womens’ birth control. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

A probiotic is a good idea too. Also, take some pepto tablets just in case!

Comment

I think I have several empty weatherby boxes if you need them.

Comment

Thank you

Originally posted by tgridley View Post
                I think I have several empty weatherby boxes if you need them.
                But I have decided to go ahead and take my 300 WBY MAG and have purchase Nosler 180 gr E-TIPS. My Accumark seams to really like them. 3shot group
                Attached Files

Comment

Plug

Anybody know which type plug this is?
                  Dries Visser Safari South Africa, I ordered an adapter, but I think it’s the wrong one.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just pass the guy a $10 spot if any issues arise on anything...I am serious...that country thrives on bribes.

Get the vaccines, be safe. Ask DV safaries which ones. We got them and my wife came home with African tick bite fever, she was very sick for a week-10 days. Use bug spray needed or not.

I think I have some adaptors you can have, I will look, when you leave and where you live?

Comment

Originally posted by red-fin View Post
                      Just pass the guy a $10 spot if any issues arise on anything...I am serious...that country thrives on bribes.

Get the vaccines, be safe. Ask DV safaries which ones. We got them and my wife came home with African tick bite fever, she was very sick for a week-10 days. Use bug spray needed or not.

I think I have some adaptors you can have, I will look, when you leave and where you live?
                      Aug. 18th

Comment

You can take them. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                        X