Ol' 300 RUM got a make over....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ol' 300 RUM got a make over....

I've had this rifle for 11 years and I wanted to upgrade the Tupperware factory stock so I ordered a Bell and Carlson M40 stock, skim bedded it myself, upgraded my scope base and rings from Leupold STD two piece base and rings to the one piece mk4 base and mk4 rings, I also sent my VX3 I bought in 2006 to Leupold to have it serviced. I had them switch the duplex reticle to the "windplex" and install a CDS dial on the elevation turret. Leupold's customer service was great. Only took 3 1/2 weeks to get the scope back.

Took it out today and shot it. I was super pleased with the results. Every group I shot today was 5/8" or less at 100 yards and shot 7/8" at 250 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice

Comment

Awesome, good work

Comment

Before bedding I read several threads and got a good idea of how to bed from Coach W's bedding project thread and several of Cajun's replies to several threads about bedding. Thanks guys.

Comment

well done!

Comment

Is that a groove behind the screw on the back tang?

Comment

Nice bedding job and great shooting, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                Is that a groove behind the screw on the back tang?
                Yes there is a groove behind the tang on the rifle. If you look in the bedding behind the front action screw hole there is a "U" that was also imprinted when bedded.

I used pro-bed 2000 and the release agent made for the pro-bed from midway. This was way to easy to not do yourself. I used a good bit of release agent (2 or 3 coats with a soft toothbrush, and taped only the sides of the recoil lug) and did not need a mallet or vice to get it apart after the 15 hours cure, I let sit for about 48 hours before shooting. The action is super tight now and had a little resistance getting back into the stock, which I liked. I also bedded the scope base with JB weld and shoe polish as a release agent (it did ok) and before tightening the the scope base to spec I put a small layer of red loctite under it. She ain't goin nowhere.

Comment

nice

Comment

Took her back out today shooting 200 Grain Accubonds getting ready for an Aoudad hunt.

Think that'll work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good bedding job and great results

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                        Good bedding job and great results
                        Thanks. I'm pretty excited those Accubonds shot well. Otta be one hell of an Aoudad bullet.

Comment

Comment

That's one of the best DIY bedding jobs I've seen in a long time! Good job!

Comment

So what do you do next to get shot on the target?

Comment

Working...
                              X