Wichita Mtns cow elk hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wichita Mtns cow elk hunt

Alright I just found out I drew an Oklahoma controlled hunt tag for cow elk at Wichita Mtns NWR. Most all of my hunting I normally just use a bow but on this one I will be breaking out my 7mm Remington Mag for the hunt. To the elk hunters out there what cartridge would you recommend using? As this is a once in a lifetime hunt in Oklahoma I want to make sure I am prepared. Thanks

We hunt every year in Colorado. I shoot a Remington Sendero 7mm Mag and shoot the Hornady superformance 162gr. Plenty of punch and knock down power.

Comment

Congrats!!! I've been going to those Mt since I was kid, and I have quite a few adult memories from shenanigans in Medicine Park. I have family in Frederick, that apply every yr. No luck so far.
      Keep us updated.

Comment

Lucky you, on the hunt and on the table. Any premium bullet in the 7mm Mag will do the job. Whatever your gun shoots best in a heavy, controlled expansion bullet. Good luck !

Comment

I shoot Federal Premium 165 Sierra King BTSP out of my 700 7 mag. I was told never go lighter than 150.

That being said, buy a variety and test fire them all, because a friend with the exact same gun as me shoots Federal blue box (I don't remember the name of those) is far tighter groups than he does with the premiums. 700's are picky guns.

Comment

congrats on that tag!!

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              Congrats!!! I've been going to those Mt since I was kid, and I have quite a few adult memories from shenanigans in Medicine Park. I have family in Frederick, that apply every yr. No luck so far.
              Keep us updated.
              Thanks for the info everyone. I have been there a couple of times and seen some good elk bulls while there. It took me 14 years to draw this cow tag myself. I usually put in for Mcaap every year and I apply for elk also never really expecting to be drawn. So I am in shock right now I actually drew the tag. Now to get to working out hard and finding the right combo for the rifle. For me being a big guy its going to be a hard hunt but I will be enjoying every minute of it.

Comment

Congrats and good luck!

Comment

Congratulations on the tag, your 7mag should do you just fine. I never hunted there but driving thru one time with a buddy we saw the herd way off in the distance and pulled over to watch them for a minute.

Out of curiosity I wondered if they were like cattle in a pasture so I honked the horn a few times and sure enough the tone and pitch of a Ford F-350 is the perfect elk call. The whole herd, probably a couple hundred, headed toward us and walked by the fence line along the road within 50 feet of us. Good luck on your hunt, if you want a short shot I hope you have a Ford.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                    Congratulations on the tag, your 7mag should do you just fine. I never hunted there but driving thru one time with a buddy we saw the herd way off in the distance and pulled over to watch them for a minute.

Out of curiosity I wondered if they were like cattle in a pasture so I honked the horn a few times and sure enough the tone and pitch of a Ford F-350 is the perfect elk call. The whole herd, probably a couple hundred, headed toward us and walked by the fence line along the road within 50 feet of us. Good luck on your hunt, if you want a short shot I hope you have a Ford.
                    Can't drive into the hunt area. They drop you off early in the morning and pick you up after dark. Unless you call them and tell them that you have one then they will bring your buddy out there to help you pack the elk out to the road.

Comment

I was just kidding with you about hunting from the truck. I'm sure you will have an amazing hunt and congratulations again on getting that tag, I would like be so lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                        I was just kidding with you about hunting from the truck. I'm sure you will have an amazing hunt and congratulations again on getting that tag, I would like be so lucky.
                        lol I figured you were. I do wish I could drive my truck to my hunt location. Not to hunt from but just for an emergency situation on my part. Now if they will every issue a hunting license for one of the buffalo out there. They have some really big ones. Hmmm

Comment

Congratulations on the draw. That will be a fun hunt

I would use a Nosler Partition if I was bringing my 7mm STW. It looks like there is a Rebate on these if you went this route.

Comment

I've only shot 1 cow elk, but I used a 7 mag and 160 grain nosler accubonds.....shot her in the shoulder and she made it about 20 ft. Good luck on your hunt!

Comment

Pretty cool to get drawn, those mountains were my old stomping grounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X