Factory 223 loads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factory 223 loads?

I just finished an AR build with a PSA 18" stainless barrel in 223 Wylde, 1in7 rifling, and rifle length gas system. I originally planned to go with a much "better" barrel, but it was packaged with an upper and handguard that made it basically a freebie.

I'd like to give this inexpensive barrel a chance at staying on the gun. I don't do hand loads, and only have experience with 40-55 grain factory 223 loads.

Im hoping it will like 62-77 grain stuff. What would you suggest trying in this barrel?

Main purpose is punching holes in paper, but if all goes well, it may be a hunting gun.

And for those that like pics a specs...

PSA receivers, PSA barrel, CMC 3.5 curved single stage trigger, Aero bcg, Aero scope mount, Millet 4-16x50, Strike charging handle, Midwest handguard, UTG A2 stock and rifle buffer, Magpul MOE+ grip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! 77gr Federal gold match is good for punching paper from most 1:7 barrels

Comment

Barnes TSX if you plan on hunting

Comment

Hornady 75gr math is another to look at for accuracy with heavier bullets.

If you are planning on hunting, I know several that love that load for hogs and not just earhole shots.

My go to bullet for deer in the 223 is the 60gr Partition and Federal loads it in factory ammo. 64gr Winchester Power Point also works well for deer and hog sized ritters.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, and please keep them coming.

Comment

Any others?

Comment

Black Hills 77gr OTM

Comment

I have had good luck with:

Federal & Black Hills 77 & 69Gr
                  Hornady 75gr

I would also suggest you look at Prime ammo & Dallas Reloads, depending on how often you shoot.

Comment

The only whitetail round that I have rifle hunted for maybe the last 6-7 years is the Federal .223 62gr Tactical Bonded (T3) round. The sku is FEDLE223T3.

I have never had one fail to penetrate through and through with about a .50 caliber exit hole including quartering.

No losses of any deer and the farthest tracking job was about 25 yards.

If you can get your hands on some. They are designed law enforcement rounds made for high expansion, very good penetration with weight retention. Anyone can buy them but they are sometimes hard to come by. I think it is likely that some Federal hunting rounds are basically this round but with a different name but I don’t know that for a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                      The only whitetail round that I have rifle hunted for maybe the last 6-7 years is the Federal .223 62gr Tactical Bonded (T3) round. The sku is FEDLE223T3.

I have never had one fail to penetrate through and through with about a .50 caliber exit hole including quartering.

No losses of any deer and the farthest tracking job was about 25 yards.

If you can get your hands on some. They are designed law enforcement rounds made for high expansion, very good penetration with weight retention. Anyone can buy them but they are sometimes hard to come by. I think it is likely that some Federal hunting rounds are basically this round but with a different name but I don’t know that for a fact.
                      Get Dallas reloads to load some Nosler bonded 64gr and will have the same bullet..

Comment

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                        Hornady 75gr math is another to look at for accuracy with heavier bullets.

If you are planning on hunting, I know several that love that load for hogs and not just earhole shots.
                        This is my choice for hog rounds after using lots of different ammo. Rather than the Hornady Match, buy the Hornady Black ammo. Here is the dirty little secret....the Match and the Black are the exact same ammo but the Black can be bought for $13/box and the Match is $16/box. There may very well be a better bullet but for the cost per round, I haven't found a larger .223 hollow point with the accuracy of this ammo. It's probably more than you need for punching paper but if you want to punch hogs, I highly recommend it.

- Jason

Comment

[QUOTE=kmon;12757590]Hornady 75gr math is another to look at for accuracy with heavier bullets.

^^^ This I use it in a 1:8 twist I believe. That 75 grain bthp has taken out coyotes, hogs, and deer. I use the steel match ammo though box of 50 for $19-$25. I have heard some say that the coating on steel casings can gum up and AR style action but I have read that a lot of the newer better coatings will not do this.

Comment

Originally posted by Outdoor Legacy View Post
                            This is my choice for hog rounds after using lots of different ammo. Rather than the Hornady Match, buy the Hornady Black ammo. Here is the dirty little secret....the Match and the Black are the exact same ammo but the Black can be bought for $13/box and the Match is $16/box. There may very well be a better bullet but for the cost per round, I haven't found a larger .223 hollow point with the accuracy of this ammo. It's probably more than you need for punching paper but if you want to punch hogs, I highly recommend it.

- Jason
                            If that's true, I'll be quite happy. I have a box of the Black 75 bthp in the pile of contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJake View Post
                              If that's true, I'll be quite happy. I have a box of the Black 75 bthp in the pile of contenders.

The SKU on the Black and Match 75 gr bthp are oddly similar. Visual inspection supports this, so I broke out the calipers. The box of Black (SKU 80267) I have measures 0.01394" shorter OAL average compared to the box of Match (SKU 8026) I have.

That is more than an eight of an inch difference, but I'm still rooting for a less expensive round to win this little competition out of my barrel. I'll update with results after I get to the range.

Comment

Working...
                              X