Bathroom Exhaust Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom Exhaust Fan

I recently installed 2 exhaust fans in my guest and master bathroom. I am having an issue with venting them to the outside of my house. I know better than just letting them vent into the attic. They are quiet as a church mouse when not hooked up.

The noise when I do hook them to the exhaust was borderline obnoxious. Granted, yes, I just stretched 25 feet of the foil tubing, and had it laying on top of the blown insulation, but couldn't stand the noise, so the project was put in "I'll finish it later" status. I'm guessing the little fan was working its tail off, trying to push that air through the flexible pipe.

I have reservations about drilling a hole in my roof, and installing a vent there, but it is a much shorter run of pipe to get to the outside, and probably a lot quieter. Also, I have a bathroom on the front of my house, so the vent would be clearly visible. Pic attached of the roof vent.

Any suggestions? I have watched the videos on This Old House a few times.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

are we trying to get rid of moisture/steam from bathing or some funky bathroom odors? In my guest BR where I'm only getting rid of the stank, I vented to attic years ago and have never had a problem.

Comment

Moisture and funky odors, mainly.

Comment

Attic.

Comment

Why not vent into the attic?

Comment

phart fans vent to attic

Comment

Those fans are intended for humidity removal, and should be vented to the outside. Only way I would vent one into attic is if it was in a 1/2 bath with only a toilet/sink. Pumping humidity into your attic can be a very bad thing under the right (wrong) climate conditions.

As far as mounting the roof vent, as long as you have a composite roof with plywood decking it is really quite easy.

Comment

Never seen a house with fart fans vented to outside....

Comment

I'm not going to vent it into the attic, don't need any moisture up there. Trying to determine which would be easier, through the roof or out the side.

Thank you for your response, Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    I'm not going to vent it into the attic, don't need any moisture up there. Trying to determine which would be easier, through the roof or out the side.

Thank you for your response, Matt.
                    going to be real hard to vent through a wall without tearing a junk of it out, then rebuilding it,,, venting through the roof will be much easier and is not hard to do

Comment

If you could get to the soffit I would go there, rather than cut through roof

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        Those fans are intended for humidity removal, and should be vented to the outside. Only way I would vent one into attic is if it was in a 1/2 bath with only a toilet/sink. Pumping humidity into your attic can be a very bad thing under the right (wrong) climate conditions.

As far as mounting the roof vent, as long as you have a composite roof with plywood decking it is really quite easy.
                        X2 agree with this. Keep the run as short and straight as possible, the less turns the better. These fans are not that strong and even using the flex tube hurts the air flow over smooth vent pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

Yup! Code also requires it to the outside unless an operable window is present and even then some cities require it anyway. We try to go to the eve of the house if not too far away. If out the roof is closer we go there.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                            Never seen a house with fart fans vented to outside....
                            Mine do...

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                              Yup! Code also requires it to the outside unless an operable window is present and even then some cities require it anyway. We try to go to the eve of the house if not too far away. If out the roof is closer we go there.
                              Yep, it's code. Code enforcement knows best. So, vent it to the attic.

Comment

Working...
                              X