No announcement yet.

Hilltop Lakes 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately I don't have many other options for stand placement unless I do a whole bunch more trimming. If I go in further on the other side of the feeder that would mean carving out a whole shooting lane.

Maybe I'll get energized with the chainsaw if we get a cool front before the season. My main target is pigs though and they always enter from the back side. I guess if I can be successful from the current location I have no reason to move it. We shall see in a few weeks!

Comment

Last year mine was 20 yards from the feeder in the brush. The only thing that was cut is a limb on another tree. Trim as little as possible and not a clean path to the stand. If you do, the deer will stay deep in the brush watching you and blow/bust you every time!

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
        Last year mine was 20 yards from the feeder in the brush. The only thing that was cut is a limb on another tree. Trim as little as possible and not a clean path to the stand. If you do, the deer will stay deep in the brush watching you and blow/bust you every time!

~Michael
        I may need to find one of you guys to help me move that ladder then. Getting it set up alone just about left me crippled.

Comment

I have a little trick I'll show you if I am free next time you head that way. Makes standing them a piece of cake!

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P4Dw2Ehy6Q"]TGO how to Put up a tree stand! - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Pics can be deceiving. How far are you away? I am 12 yards off my feeder, buy I am shooting trad so I like that distance.

Comment

I put mine up pretty much like that guy except I think his is shorter. I had to get it on the tree with the first 2 sections, then pressed it up to shoulder height, held with one hand and moved the bottom section in place with the other hand. Not that hard if you have a clean, straight tree but when it's all crooked and covered in tons of vines, things get more interesting.

Comment

~Michael

Comment

Hey Michael....is that pig drunk, lol.
                    He sure looks relaxed.

Just joking.....Congrats!!!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

~Michael
                        Congrats! Perfect splitting size for the pit.

Whatcha knock em down with... the bow or the crossbow?

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                          Congrats! Perfect splitting size for the pit.

Whatcha knock em down with... the bow or the crossbow?

With the bow. I had just got in the stand and started getting stuff situated when they came in. I didn't have my bow out of the case or camera setup (was planning on filming the hunt). As I'm getting the bow out, the saw heard me and spooked/bolted. This one hung around laying down eating. As I drew he got up and headed for the brush. I caught him in the right ear and out between his eyes.

On a crappy note, my feeder got blown over in one of the storms with @ 200#'s of corn in it. Will go back next week and fix it.

~Michael

Comment

Oh, and it's on the smoker now! We really like it with my homemade dry rub and heavy yellow mustard.

~Michael

Comment

Oh, and it's on the smoker now! We really like it with my homemade dry rub and heavy yellow mustard.

~Michael
                              Dang that looks good!!!

I actually like mustard based BBQ. Tried if for the first time when I went to South Carolina on business about 10 years ago... it is good stuff

Comment

Ha that video looks and sounds familiar.....Minus the safety harness and the one legged shuffle

Comment

Working...
                                X