Antler Growth ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Growth ?

saw some bucks last week that look to be totally grown out. when do the antlers stop growing?

I'd guess that by mid-August they are done.

Comment

We have a month and half tops left really, that said some deer can make some MOVES in that time

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
        We have a month and half tops left really, that said some deer can make some MOVES in that time
        It's a crazy year for us.
        We have a few that could tip out now and be good bucks and a lot more that need the next 1.5 months of growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
          It's a crazy year for us.
          We have a few that could tip out now and be good bucks and a lot more that need the next 1.5 months of growth.

When do yall normally see hard horns?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

When do yall normally see hard horns?

Most have rubbed out early-mid September

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkles View Post
              Most have rubbed out early-mid September

Id take 5-10 days off that minimum for when they will be done. So first-ish of september.

Getting close boys

Comment

Antler Growth ?

Id take 5-10 days off that minimum for when they will be done. So first-ish of september.

Getting close boys

Counting down the days. Last year was our best year in my 7 on this lease and my buddy's 9 years

Comment

How long they grow depends a lot on the rainfall year, the individual buck and somewhat the location the state. I have seen deer grow right up till a few days before they shed in Mid Sept and others look done in early August on the same ranch. You will see bucks running together that will have a 3 week or so gap in antler growth. I have seen bucks on the first of August barely past the G2 finish out with a 27" inside spread 6x6 170 typical antler growth. Look at pictures of some bucks in early July, then early August, late August and compare the amount of growth they added. I used to guess bucks score wise in late July thinking they were 95% complete and most of them added a lot more growth(tine and beam length, two things that add the most to the final score). The texture and color of the velvet will change when they are about to shed the velvet. The hair coat length/density and color will change from late summer to the early fall look within a couple days of shedding velvet also.

Comment

mid aug to early sept

Comment

Pulled camera card last weekend, bucks in my pasture seem way behind.
                      But, I'm up in the panhandle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5465.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	24502372

Comment

My deer are the same way right now. Several look maxed out and then several look like they are just getting started, still plenty of time for them to grow.

Comment

Our bucks in Lavaca County are growing well with a couple almost looking maxed out already. On our lease in Terrell County, they are just beginning and look to be a month to 6 weeks behind if not more, but they are always way late for us out there. For some reason out there, they seem to kick it into hyper-growth the last 2 weeks of july and first 2-3 weeks of August.... In Lavaca it always seems like the grow much more and faster in June and then slow down at the time the bucks out west are growing more.....weird...

Comment

Earlier rut, earlier antler growth (accounts for regional differences). Individual bucks in the same area can very by a few weeks depending on how long they held their previous rack into the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                              Earlier rut, earlier antler growth (accounts for regional differences). Individual bucks in the same area can very by a few weeks depending on how long they held their previous rack into the spring.

Makes sense.... Rut in Lavaca is usually first week of November and out west its first to second Week of December...

Thanks for explaining that......

Comment

Working...
                              X