No announcement yet.

Aransas 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you get well Thumper! There's nothing wrong with that deer especially for the refuge! Some very tough hunting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm set up over looking a pond and just had 7 pigs come to the water! Holding out for a deer.

Comment

Any one having any luck?

Comment

As of yesterday at noon there had been 20 bucks taken, which is very good for the archery hunt.

Comment

No animals taken fri.

I made it down Wed afternoon. Thursday evening stuck to big hogs. Not much moving again this year during daylight hours, lots of activity at night. There are a few bucks following doe, couple of guys have killed two bucks.

Comment

Here's a picture of the kill board. Only critter added to it is one 6pt buck.
              Attached Files

Comment

This evening I'm setting on a fire break where I stuck the two hogs. One crossed the fire break about 25yrds out, the other one woke me up when it bumped the leg of my tripod.

If my photo is misaligned would someone please turn it for me, Thanks!
                Attached Files

Comment

52 bowhunters hunted today and only two doe were added to the board.

About 5pm today I saw a 6pt buck down the fire lane about 300yds so I hit the fawn bleat can. Instantly he started headed my way at I trot. I hit the bleat can a few more times to keep him trotting. This was a mistake as he locked in on my location and circled around down wind, never saw him again. 30 min later with my recurve on my lap getting a drink of water a nice 8pt trotted in from my blind side and crossed the fire break. By the time I was able to shoot he was was out of bow range and lost in the tall grass.

Then just after 6pm I picked up sight of a big doe heading to where she'd cross the firebreak about 30yds out. Had plenty of time to get ready as it took her 15min and when she stepped out of the tall grass on to the firebreak I took the shot. Sounded like a clean miss but she ran off with her tail down. Lost sight of her about 80yds out then picked her up again about 200yds out with her tail up, ????. While waiting before I checked for blood a smaller doe appeared in the firebreak from the opposite direction, at 25yds I hit her right elbow knuckle. I saw her run and go down in the tall grass out about 75yds. Waited 15min and went to check for blood, there was a bucket full blood spilled the first 20yds of trailing the smaller doe then the blood like stopped, but I found her where I saw her go down and she still had my arrow.

Checking on the first shot I didn't find the arrow or any blood so I went to the last spot I saw her running with her tail tucked and found a blood trail. She layed dead after running a little over 100yds. Hit her a little far back but caught one lung and the liver. She weighed 70lbs and the second one was 42lbs. I'm guessing the big body deer flagging out around 200yds out was a buck trailing behind the doe. My eye sight along with my hearing are both pretty poor, didn't see or hear the arrow hit the first deer, smh.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Thumper; 10-09-2016, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Dang Chris two does in one evening . That's a lot of work for an old man .

Comment

Way to go Thumper! Looks like you had your work cut out for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Strummer View Post
                        Dang Chris two does in one evening . That's a lot of work for an old man .
                        Yea......lol

Comment

gitter done. congrats.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Sounds like a very good year down there...... guess the cooler weather paid off.... anyone have any other pics of the 8 or 9 pointers? where any really big? way to go chris....

Comment

Tom, I do not have any pictures but didn't see any bucks killed that were even close to making P&Y. Field dressed weight on the two largest bucks I saw taken was 118lbs and 120lbs. Harvest on second half of the hunt was almost non existent. Sunday evening I hunted, really scouted for the 1st rifle hunt about a mile from Conoco #2 and the noise was deafening, oil and gas production has greatly increased on the Refuge.

Comment

Working...
                                X