Matador WMA antlerless hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
    If it's just does only, I like the far northwest pasture. Big pasture and doesn't have good internal road access though. But, many deer and hogs and pretty country to hunt (sit in the right spot and you can see a lot of country). Haven't hunted OX, but there are deer over the entire place, you shouldn't have trouble. For bucks though, you are correct that the east side is the place to be.
    While there are whitetails all over the property, the northwest will have a higher proportion of mule deer. Pretty sure M.D. not included in antlerless hunt. Besides, it'd be a challenging pack out.

Everything east of, and including, Mouth of River and Shorty will be whitetail rich, as well as any pasture down on the river.

Comment

We are heading to Matador Friday morning. Some work obligations have postponed our departure until 9am which will put us at Matador about the time the sun is setting. Shouldn't be an issue getting camp set up.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR² View Post
        We are heading to Matador Friday morning. Some work obligations have postponed our departure until 9am which will put us at Matador about the time the sun is setting. Shouldn't be an issue getting camp set up.
        Work is delaying my departure as well. The plan right now is to try heading out of the metroplex around 5 (horrible timing with traffic) and hopefully getting to the motel in Childress around 9:00. Hoping to get a quick bite to eat and a good nights rest prior the the hunt starting on Saturday.

Comment

My son comes home yesterday and informs me that he has exams to do Friday in three of his classes. Said the school just told them about it. He is going to ask if he can take all three back to back so we can leave as early as possible. As of now it looks like we may not leave Jasper until at least 2pm which would but us in Childress at about 10:30p-11p Friday night. Looks like we'll be in a hotel that night....not going to try to set up camp that late.

Comment

TCR^2 Any update on your hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
              I can't speak for TCR^2, but I was on the same hunt as him and this was my experience.

Neither my brother or myself were successful on this hunt, but it wasn't for lack of trying. We were in the North Middle Pasture and put many a mile on my boots and many hours glassing, but the deer just weren't moving much due to unseasonably hot weather. Talked to a guy that got drawn standby and he said he tagged out within 24 hours last year when he was drawn and he wasn't seeing much this year either. A few guys got a whitetail doe and a few got hogs, but not much was coming into the headquarters.

That being said, it was still the most fun I have ever had on a draw hunt and I will definitely be applying again. The staff was amazing and very helpful and the WMA was a beautiful place to hunt. Hard to describe just how big the place is, but it took a good 20 minute drive from headquarters to just get to the North Middle pasture, which of course is in the middle of the WMA. Saw tons of mule deer in our pasture, but only 2 whitetail bucks and one doe, which was too far to put on a stalk as light was fading.

Comment

Matador WMA antlerless hunt

Yes, matador is a great hunt. Makes you get back to the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post

I dropped the ball on this thread big time! Sorry for not seeing this sooner.

Unfortunately my son and I had to head home two days into the hunt due to some things that came up. We didn’t fill any tags and didn’t see any deer. We hunted the OX pasture which from what I read before the hunt is one of the better ones to hunt. Plenty of sign everywhere we walked but as mentioned in a couple posts up the warm weather and wind put a damper on things. I’ll be putting in for hunts on this WMA again next year. Didn’t put in this year because I’m going to Colorado in November so funds are tight.

It is a beautiful place for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X