Does overcast make deer move more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does overcast make deer move more?

I've been hunting in Bracketville for the past week and it seems on days that it is cloudy, the deer move more. Is it because of the overcast or is it just a coincidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they move more when it's overcast. Maybe because it's typically a little cooler when it's cloudy? Just my .02

Comment

I see more deer from the blind when it's overcast as well

Comment

Overcast here and Ive not seen jack. Also 20 mph wind.

Comment

Same here. Especially this time of the year with the rut and all.

Comment

Heard 1 gun shot at 7:15. Nothing else.

Comment

I tend to see more deer when it's overcast.

Comment

That's definitely been my observation with rattling. If it's sunny, responses drop way off shortly after sunrise, but on overcast days, you can get responses all day. Same true for calling coyotes.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                  Overcast here and Ive not seen jack. Also 20 mph wind.
                  Wind is howling at 20 in Brady. Only saw a yearly buck nothing else. Trying to decide to stay in or head back to camp. Wind is supposed to get worse

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyneutrontx View Post
                    Wind is howling at 20 in Brady. Only saw a yearly buck nothing else. Trying to decide to stay in or head back to camp. Wind is supposed to get worse

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk
                    My goal is 10:00. Eyes won't stay open.

Comment

Windy is no bueno in my experiences. I think deer don't like it cause it takes away from sight, smell and hearing. If you can be in stand when the wind drops down it's a good time.

Comment

Typically, yes but not today. Seen a 12" wide 8 point about 15 minutes ago. That's it.

First morning in a month where I haven't seen a doe. I've usually had at least 4 come through by now. Last week I've had 10+ almost every morning.

Might be too windy. I don't know though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Killed my personal best when i was 17 in south alabama with the winds beating around 20+
                          I was in a climber about 30 ft up a pine tree on a fence line bordering a field and clear cut. Came in from down wind to within 20 yards from me. Was using my lil bro's 7mm 08... Ever since then I have been a fan of the high wind. Especially if its a cross wind

Comment

I think it has more to do with visibility the night before. If it was overcast the night before you hunt, they tend to move more during the day. I have walked to my stand on a clear morning with no moon, just star light, and never needed a flashlight. Almost a sure thing that I will see nothing that morning, but I do not read into it too much. There's a lot of factors that make deer move. Honestly, you just need to put in as much time in the stand as you can. Weather, moon, rut, food, and other things matter, but at the end of the day, it is being in the right place at the right time.

Comment

Always have better luck on nasty cold overcast days.

Comment

Working...
                              X