No announcement yet.

Am I wrong in thinking this way...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel your concern too. Your daughter sounds like she works really hard to do a good job, and she should be rewarded for it. I realize we don't always win our arguments, even when we are right, but there is time enough for that when she is an adult. What do our kids learn, if they aren't rewarded for doing their best? They learn it doesn't matter, and then they don't try so hard anymore. So you make sure she knows adults aren't always right, but you still keep on trying!

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
      Teacher is gone for the summer and the principal is on her side. Looks like the Superintendent is next in line. I'm not giving up either way.

>E
      I went this route with an issue over my son when he was a freshman. In hindsight, I don't recommend it. Teachers, principals, SROs, etc. all tend to stick together. It's like a fraternity and it doesn't really matter who's right or wrong. When you go after one to the point that you're suggesting, you can actually open your child up for prejudicial treatment in the future from teachers who weren't even involved in the original issue. No, it's not right and it's not fair. But it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
        NO.

Your kids (especially when they are being a good kid, being responsible and acting maturely) need to know that their Dad has their back.

stand by for someone to argue with me
        What he said.

Teachers are human, fallible, and over-worked. Mistakes not only might happen, they seem likely... given the number of kids/assignments/papers they have to handle.

It seems your daughter is going beyond the norm to achieve. She should be rewarded for that. It is not her responsibility to confirm someone else's work.

Comment

I understand your point, I'd probably work on getting it fixed also, but in the long run a 'B' in the 6th grade never kept a kid back when it really matters. Now if this was High School, it woul dbe a totally different story.

I don't know if this is an option but I'd scan the assignments in from this point forward and e-mail the teachers a PDF. Then there is NO question. you can always go back and re-send an e-mail from your sent items. The other trick is to NEVER delete anything but junk mail.

Good luck!!! Your kids are worth standing up for.

Comment

Stuff that is important for your kids is important to you.

THe life lesson you are teaching goes way beyond a grade.

Keep fighting DAD

Comment

In 5 or 6 years from now when she is preparing to graduate HS will this B matter? Your answer to this question should guide how you proceed.

Either way you have an opportunity to teach your daughter first hand a lesson in life.

Good luck.

Comment

IMO the teacher made a B this year for letting a student who is as capable as your daughter is fall below an A. It's the teacher's job to make sure every student in her class accomplishes as much as possible. Anything less shows neglect on the teachers part.
                I know a retired teacher who told me he use to teach kids that were having problems in other classes. It was strange that the kids who were failing or had below average grades would leave his class well above average. Why? Because his job was to make sure each child got the attention they deserved. Not to just push them through the system.
                I wonder if it were her daughter if the results would have been the same?
                Most teachers are very busy but when it comes to our children they need to slow down and pay attention.
                I'm not putting all teachers in this category just saying they all need to care.

Comment

Unfortunately, life is a learning lesson.

Teacher's not responsible to see everything for everyone.

Parents cannot walk the child through everything - though we all support them through thick and thin.

Missing paper is missing paper - I would have expected the teacher to allow something for "extra" credit to mend the missing detail.

Last of all - it's only 6th grade. That "B" doesn't mean anything in the scope of life. Enjoy the summer with your little one and take her fishing or shooting.

Comment

I understand your frustration. Last year, my daughter got her very first "B" ever, in of all things, PE. I emailed the teacher to see what the problem was, and was told that Courtney forgot her gym shoes twice (once was the first day after Christmas break, and Courtney was sporting her new cowboy boots), and each time that happened, there was a three point deduction in her grade. OK, fair enough. But, that's only six points, so I asked what the grading criteria was for the other six points (her grade was an 88) that resulted in the "B". The teacher responded that a student starts off with a 94 in PE, instead of a 100. To me, that sounded crazy, but after not making any headway after diplomatically arguing with the teacher, Courtney and I chalked it up as a learning experience. She was pretty disappointed that it was the first "blemish" on her report card, but sometimes life, and school, just ain't fair.

I'd continue to politely ask questions of the teacher, principal or superintendent, if you feel compelled to see if they might be willing to give your daughter the benefit of the doubt in this situation. I wouldn't be accusatory toward the teacher, but point out that it seems pretty obvious that your daughter completed the test, in which case it was obviously misplaced somewhere along the way. By my calculations, she would have needed to score roughly 6.5 points on that open book test to bring her grade from 88.8 to 89.5, or from a B to an A (depending, of course, on the weight of the grades listed above). You might ask if there's anything she could do this summer to "EARN" those extra 6 or 7 points. It seems that a social studies teacher that was really interested in a child's learning would see that as an opportunity.

Michael

Michael
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

...school today is not the school that many of us grew up with. Agonizing over a "B" at sixth grade level may not be the best thing, rather having another talk with your daughter on the real purpose of school at middle school level may be more productive. Most of us don't realize that basics learned pre-fifth grade are the things that sustain us through-out life. After that, we are simply refining our ability to continue learning...in other words, all those seemingly "wasted hours" are really an exercise in learning HOW to learn. Inflated grades seem to be the rule now rather than learning SKILLS. Your daughter sounds as though she has a grasp on those skills which is far more important. I had two memorable teachers in my life of schooling (24 years!)...the first was an English History instructor in grade 11. We had no textbook and she simply lectured to us every day with exams from the notes we took. Failure to pay attention and take notes had the obvious result. The second teacher was in college. Our Comparative Anatomy instructor announced to the class that he graduated with honors, was Phi Beta Kappa, and in his entire career only made one "c"..."...and that, ladies and gentleman, was in Comparative Anatomy". With those words, the tone was set and the challenge placed before all of us! He informed us that he graded on a curve and that ALL the clases he taught were averaged together (so any exam info shared with other classes only served to hurt yourself!) To ge an A in his class, required a combine total of 700 points, and out of over 160 students in his combined classes, only 9 (less than 6%), attained that. He also stated at the start that he awarded only 10% of his classes an A so I was sure that my 697 points would get me an A, too. I got a B....but I remember to this day how hard I worked and what satisfaction I gained from being right there...the chance to sink that birdie putt on the 18th hole if you will.......the knowledge that I gained, however, put me in that postion again and again over the years. Good luck to you and your daughter..

Comment

6th grade dude....my wife is a teacher and I have seen her bring all her papers home to grade and I don't see how she never loses any of them. 6th grade... All I can say is yeah, go to bat for your daughter, but keep in mind before you alienate your family at that school, its only 6th grade. In the grand scheme of it all, this matters nothing for her high school ranking. However, I am not a parent, so my opinion could be way off base.

Comment

Just go ask her teacher on a date

Comment

Originally posted by Late Starter View Post
                            Let it ride, brutha. Ultimately, your daughter is responsible for turning in the assignment. Moving forward, she will know to CONFIRM its receipt. This is a grand learning experience -- at minimal cost to your daughter. The more you agonize, the more mixed signals you send.

(signed,) Docter Phil
                            I agree.

Comment

Fight for your daughter!
                              Ultramatic Feeders

We're paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're supposed to be surrounded......

/l _ ,[____],
                              l---- L-- -OlllllllO-
                              ()_)--()_)---o-)_)

Comment

Originally posted by fishdog View Post
                                go for it teachers screw stuff up all the time and unless they sleep with a student no cares what they do. teachers need to be held accountable for their mistakes and if you have a student how has an a average not turn something in then the teacher should take that as a clue that maybe they lost something.
                                Wow! Grind that ax.

Comment

Working...
                                X