Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its rampant in waterfowl taxidermy.

Comment

A good one is the one that doesn't run off with your mount and money.

Comment

One thing about taxi work is that you never tell someone they got a crappy mount back. Typically people.look past the flaws and are thrilled with the mount on their wall so keep your opinion to yourself.
        When I did some taxi work in the past i was 100% self taught and I only took work from people who knew that and just wanted something cheap. Typically when I was done I was almost embarrassed to take any money. My customers thought I had done great work.

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
          You know what is sad? The number of people who don't know good vs. bad taxidermy work. I understand that some folks have an "eye" for it and some don't. And I guess if you are happy with it, then nothing else matters. Folks, please do your homework before dropping off your trophy/memory of a lifetime. Pay attention to past work, lead time, price, references. I have been stung once by shoddy taxi work in the past. It makes me sick every time I look at those animals today. One being, my dad's biggest buck to date. He's 76 now and I doubt he'll best it.
          Get it redone.
          I think a good mount looks like it is walking out of the wall.
          I use to mount all our good deer. But now euros make more sense on space and money. Until I kill a buck with a very unique hide.

I have used one taxi my entire 40 years of mounting animals.
          Not show quality work, but good work at a great price.
          Honest fellow and loves to share the stories of the animals in his shop.

Comment

I have 7 animals at my taxi right now. One has been there a over year and half now. I never say anything about a timeline to him and he never promises me a due date. I have a bear mount coming soon and he told me that when he does my bear he will shut the shop down and that is all he will work on, totally dedicated to his art. I could not ask for better taxi, and believe me, I have had a couple of garbage mounts done by "experts".

If I spend money on a hunt and am fortunate enough to take a trophy, I will get a professional mount done.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
              I have a bear mount coming soon and he told me that when he does my bear he will shut the shop down .
              Your taxidermist is a smooth talking salesman as well as a good taxidermist

Comment

Not good. Buddy had to send it back to have the antlers straightened out, but I wasn’t impressed with the overall look either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

To me, it’s all about getting the ears and the eyes right. Every mount I have has been done by the same taxi. And they are all semi-sneak pose, with the ears in alert position. It’s just looks so much more realistic to me that way. Plus my taxi is fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRanger View Post
                    Let’s see it
                    I would but can’t figure out how to post it.

Comment

Most people look at antlers and not mount quality, also cheapest price. Dont understand that, I spend enough enjoying the outdoors, why go cheap on a memory that will last 30+ years? But to each his own, just educate yourself on what good work is and cheap usually never equates to very good in any service you are paying for.

Comment

Some folks look never look below the rack on a shoulder mount. I've seen some terrible mounts that the hunter was perfectly happy with. Whatever makes you happy, I just couldn't imagine hanging that on my wall forever.

I've used multiple taxidermist over the years. Each have their strengths and specialties and are better at certain animals than others. One thing I've learned for sure is that the really good ones don't advertise, make deals or promise a timeline.

Comment

I have ZERO quality issues with my taxidermist [emoji23][emoji23]

Most mounts look ok from across the room, it’s the details up close that make the difference [emoji1303]

Comment

Originally posted by tyak View Post
                            I have ZERO quality issues with my taxidermist [emoji23][emoji23]

Most mounts look ok from across the room, it’s the details up close that make the difference [emoji1303]

Wait, are these good or bad? I'm confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                              Wait, are these good or bad? I'm confused.

Those would be good

Comment

Originally posted by Jcjohnson View Post
                                I would but can’t figure out how to post it.
                                PM sent

Comment

Working...
                                X