Good vs. bad taxidermy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good vs. bad taxidermy

You know what is sad? The number of people who don't know good vs. bad taxidermy work. I understand that some folks have an "eye" for it and some don't. And I guess if you are happy with it, then nothing else matters. Folks, please do your homework before dropping off your trophy/memory of a lifetime. Pay attention to past work, lead time, price, references. I have been stung once by shoddy taxi work in the past. It makes me sick every time I look at those animals today. One being, my dad's biggest buck to date. He's 76 now and I doubt he'll best it.

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
    You know what is sad? The number of people who don't know good vs. bad taxidermy work. I understand that some folks have an "eye" for it and some don't. And I guess if you are happy with it, then nothing else matters. Folks, please do your homework before dropping off your trophy/memory of a lifetime. Pay attention to past work, lead time, price, references. I have been stung once by shoddy taxi work in the past. It makes me sick every time I look at those animals today. One being, my dad's biggest buck to date. He's 76 now and I doubt he'll best it.
    I agree!!! I see some mounts posted here and just shake my head at the shoddy work.

Comment

Good or bad?
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2186.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	24548035

Comment

Skilled work ain't cheap, and cheap work ain't skilled

Comment

[ATTACH]919254[/ATTACH]

Comment

OKTX I like it

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              I agree!!! I see some mounts posted here and just shake my head at the shoddy work.
              HAHA. Yep, thus this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
                OKTX I like it
                I do too. However, unless it's real bad I can't spot the subtle mistakes.

Comment

If it is so emotional of an issue to you why don't you just have the ones you dislike done over again? It would be a nice 77th birthday gift to your Dad to have his "cleaned" up for him.

Comment

I think it is also a mistake to leave your antlers with the taxi before he is ready for them. I have known people to drop them off & never see them again.

Comment

Some common things to look for are staple holes, stitching on the back of the neck, cracking around the lips, gaps between the hide/hair and antler bases, eyes, duct work, nasal passages, crooked antlers, and one of my favorites, ears that are misshapen or wrongly oriented. I'm sure a taxi will come along shortly and point out some others.

Comment

Originally posted by JHT View Post
                        If it is so emotional of an issue to you why don't you just have the ones you dislike done over again? It would be a nice 77th birthday gift to your Dad to have his "cleaned" up for him.
                        Agreed, I have been seriously considering this.

Comment

I tell people its bad when they show me in person. That way they can get it fixed and/or not repeat on their next trophy.

Comment

One thing that I look for in a good taxi is one that can get the brisket, armpit and front shoulder alignment correct. A lot of other wise decent looking mounts are ruined by the white armpit hair wrapping around the front part of the shoulder.

Comment

Agreed, I have been seriously considering this.
                              I know I have one I want a do over on.

Comment

Working...
                              X